konalavadome

The Clock

• 21 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 04:46:27 PM »
That is a deep vocal! The chorus lift was a little unexpected after the bleakness of the verses. It makes sense after a little while though. Strong piano and tidy arrangements. Drum fills nice in particular.

Your deep vocal is drenched in character if a little wobbly on pitch in places, primarily on upward melodic rises.

I didn't notice too many plosives. If you are concerned, try tilting your condenser mic at 30 degrees instead of nose on. That, combined with a pop shield should solve most issues here.

The organ phrases are a nice touch. Gentle yet hit home

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

deegeorge

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 12:30:25 AM »
Nice song .Great piano playing and a really nice deep sound from the keys

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 02:44:34 AM »
Hi Yodasdad,
I had to seek your stuff out after your superb explanation of musical 'clashes' in another post.

Graham:  I missed that post.  I'll have to go find it. 

Yoda:  This is a superb song.  I absolutely loved the piano work and I love piano songs.  I really liked your voice on this one. 

I sang along with you on this one as soon as I grasped the song, and I would love to cover it at some time in the future. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 09:04:16 AM »
Really good.  Like the piano and it a falls in to place really well. Agree that you might try going up an octave at some point.

grassbath

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »
Wow - that deep voice! The close mic'd feel of it made the verses really intimate and atmospheric. Reminded me of Richard Hawley. However at points when you ascend in the melody you wind up a tiny bit flat - it's nothing catastrophic but felt it needed mentioning.

The song itself is fantastic, lovely piano playing and a really nice tune. The ticking of the clock at the end was a perfect way to round it off. Nice work :)
Maybe I'm amazed at the way you're with me all the time... or maybe I'm afraid of the way I'll leave you

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
Sorry to bump this back up but I really did want to acknowledge all of the comments since I last checked in.

I've read them all and really appreciate what you all have said.

To GTB and the others who have commented on my voice, I have no issue at all with critique in this area. To be honest I am surprised with the many positive responses, thanks people.

I know my limitations however and my voice is one of them. Pitching issues...yes there are! ;)... and probably always will be while I'm doing the vocals. (Not that I can't try harder) I know I'm not much of a singer, I just do it out of necessity as a song needs singing and in the corner of my lounge where I do my recording, there's only me sat there so that responsibility falls to me.

I'd love vocals an octave above in this and most of my songs as some of you have mentioned but alas this is out of my range, maybe i'll find a solution.

Hardtwist.......what a massive compliment to suggest that you might like to cover it one day, thanks for that.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to listen and post.

Yodasdad.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 10:37:17 AM »
Good tune , really liked the languid piano and what you were doing with the vocal line, which seemed to really suit what I imagine the lyrics are about. And then I was a bit surprised with the more upbeat chorus, and after a few listens I'm still not sure what I think....
I like the 'tired' deep vocals of the verse and imagine with a bit more time you'd get there.
Liked the ending too. 
:)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..