The Clock

• 21 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 10, 2013, 07:19:45 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals

Apologies for not being around for a few weeks but as I said in my introduction this is probably par the course for me and my job.

Anyway, I've managed to sneak in a few hours on a new song which I'd love some feedback on.

I'll try to work my way through commenting on some tracks while I'm back for a while.

https://soundcloud.com/my-idiom/the-clock

The Clock

Copyright M Blair 2013

They say time heals but it takes too long
I'm pouring out the pain of all the things that i've done wrong
 I've come undone, my race is run
I've nothin left inside I can't find a reason to hold on

As I walk down this one way street
I see the sorrow on the face of everyone I see
They try to comfort me so endlessly
There words can't cast away this shadow hangin over me

The wind whispers my name at night
The tide still flows despite how I hard I try
To keep the water from the rocks
The rain still falls in early June
I hear them calling out my name to soon
Cant halt the ticking of the clock

The end is near, I feel it creepin up on me
My darkest days surround me now it's hard to breathe
I realise The time has come to make my peace
As I look back upon a life of missed opportunities

I remember when I was 7, I used of dream of bein a man
If I'd have known then it'd barely happen, would It have changed the life I've had?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:33:08 PM by Yodasdad »

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
Hi YD,
          Nice piano playing, is that a pedal steel guitar in there? Production sounds good. Nice hook! You did well to do this in a few hours. Nice one, the clock ticking at the end is a nice touch, attention to detail (I would never have thought of that... :P). 8) ;D ;D

Cheers

Jamie

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »
Thanks Jamie

Pedal steel sound is kind of what I was going for then realised what a challenge it was without
A- having a pedal steel
Or
B- being able to play a pedal steel

So I had to settle for a Dobro sample and a pitch bend wheel.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:31:04 PM »
Luscious piano!!! Ohhhhh how i wish i could play like that!

The dobro thingy sounds really good. I didn't know what that was, had to look it up. Still don't really..... But anyway, it sounds really good, and I'd love to hear a little more of it - it's v slightly hidden at the moment, so i reckon, more of it and louder would be ace!

The vocal melody is really lovely in the chorus...I'd maybe suggest it could cover a bit more range in the verses to give it some lightness that would complement the lovely lovely piano accompaniment.

Is there some really (really) subtle backing vocal in there? It's hard to tell whether it's other voices or instruments!!

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »
The dobro ( pedal steel soundalike ) gave the song a bit of a PF feel when it came in, that's a good thing. I note a few pops on your p's when you sing. Get yourself a pop filter and you can eliminate those easy as pie especially if you sing across the mic a bit instead of straight into it. 

This is a cool song, lovely piano as already comented on. Bit of organ too, now I am hearing , nice subtle arrangements. You used the samples well, very well. Sparingly used it has enhanced their effectiveness IMHO , so well done on that count too. Nice outro pat yourself on the back mate.

Allan.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »
Caco

thanks for your comments, yes there are a couple of backing vocal lines but as you say I kept them quite low in the mix.

Allan

Thanks for your words of wisdom. Interestingly though I am already using a pop shield, two in fact, wire and mesh as I had a lot of sibilance on my last recording. I'm also standing a good 6-8 inches back from the condensor. I'm wondering if what you're hearing is maybe being introduced or exaggerated somewhere in the processing of the vocals or possibly my pseudo-mastering process. I still have a lot to learn.

Yodasdad

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »
Hi Yoda...this is lovely...the melody and lyrics flow so smoothly, and your low voice is very hypnotic in this moody piece...beautiful piano and the dobro and organ subtly in the background, really work well...I would like to hear those backup vocals a little more in the mix and maybe some higher harmonies in the chorus might be cool, but I think you've done an amazing job with the arrangement and production of this very lovely song :) :) CS

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 01:08:13 PM »
Hi Yodasdad
                  Nice melodic content & lyrics are sublime...I like the low vocals & if you went up an octave somewhere amidst  it would be icing on the lake  ;D  piano is great!  glad you didnt find a pedal steel! ;D  Overall  this soft minimalistic approach suits this song & I liked it!

Cheerz  bud......Nice :)   Stylus

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »
hi yodasdad
enjoyed this & lovely piano
the low vocal works well..thought it was kevin ayres for a moment but as hes just popped his clogs...it must be yodasdad
great chorus that has a momentum which i think you could capitalise on,  perfect place for a higher vocal over the top of it just for extra lift..
i can still hear it and thats partly because of that momentum thing, its easy to loop it in the head..
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »
hey

I loved this that piano was great
lovely song enjoyed very much

well done on this,

tony.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »
Hi Yodasdad,

Lovely piano work. The organ works well with it. The contrast between the flat verse vocal and the more lively chorus provides a nice dynamic. I do enjoy a good somber lyric - and this delivers.

Enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Digger

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
This is cool song, also piano melody is very good ... and excellent guitar tunes!!!

Good job!

Rhysian

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 10:23:33 AM »
Very nice.  Really wonderful piano playing. I would have liked to hear a little more of the backing vocals. You have a lovely rich tone to your voice, especially those really low notes. 

Rhysian x

Kafla

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
Hi yodasdad  ;D

Lovely piano playing  ;D

It's a fantastic arrangement my friend - your voice wanders a little here of there - but it's a big, big song

Proper songwriting mate  ;D

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
Hi Yodasdad,
I had to seek your stuff out after your superb explanation of musical 'clashes' in another post.
This song is excellent and all the instruments sound really good, fantastic keyboards, great sound.
You have a great voice but if you don't mind me saying I think you would really benefit from some coaching to give you a little more power (in the chorus) and stability elsewhere.
Great recording.
GTB
GTB