konalavadome

Yet another set of lyrics for "As She Moved Through the Faire".

• 15 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:40:54 PM »
The Irish folk song "As She Moved Through the Faire" is (imo) a beautiful piece of music. I fell in love with it after downloading a MIDI version on my computer.  Researching the song, one discovers that there are an astounding number of similar (and some entirely different) lyrics for the song.  

I could see why it would be attractive to a lyricist.  AND.... since I AM a lyricist, I decided to add one more set of lyrics to the "pile".

First posted this in September of 2013, and recently rewrote the lyric and reworked the music.  It will be in the "works in progress" section in a day or two.  

As She Moved Through the Faire (Would She?)

CHORUS:  
Such a vision of heaven with the sun on her hair.
On the day I first saw her as she moved through the faire.  
Like a sweet earthbound angel, when I first saw her there.    

VERSE:  
Would  the Ocean release me?   –  Would  I return to that shore?  
Would  I ask yon faire maiden –  oh please would she love me once more?  
Would she even remember the pathway that led to my door?  
Would she still recollect how she loved me before?  

BRIDGE:  
Is she there right now waiting?  Does she silently pray?  
Does she sing of our love through the heat of the midsummer’s day?  
Does she faithfully write me a new letter each day?

VERSE:  
Are her arms in my future?    Or were they lost yesterday?  
When I sailed for this ocean a whole world away?  
So does Heaven await me?  Or in Hell will  I stay?
Would she still be my lover if she saw me today?  

CHORUS:  
Such a vision of heaven with the sun on her hair.
On the day I first saw her as she moved through the faire.  
Like a sweet earthbound angel, when I first saw her there.
When I first saw my angel as she moved through the faire.    
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:43:17 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

PeeJay

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »
Hi Verlon,

Can't say i've ever heard of this song but you've done a good job with your addition to the lyrical pile! It all works well with the traditional theme.

Nice one,

Phil.
I don't know what i'm doing but i do it anyway.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
Hi Verlon,

Can't say i've ever heard of this song but you've done a good job with your addition to the lyrical pile! It all works well with the traditional theme.

Nice one,

Phil.

Thanks for reading and responding. 

This lyric has drawn little response.  It's as important to learn which songs/lyrics do NOT reach people as it is to learn which ones DO.  There is value even to non-responses if you actually want to learn. 

I'm glad you liked it.  I wish more people did, but either way, it's a good experience.  The song itself (when performed live) tends to get good responses.  I think the music is why.

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »
This doesn't do much for me, which is why I didn't respond at first. I like the idea of writing through a series of questions. I also have no problem with rewriting folk songs, but this doesn't really live up to the melody. Do you have links to the other versions. I'd be interested to see the other rewrites.

Maybe path rather than pathway.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »
Hi Verlon,
I'm not familiar with the song either but can offer my two cents on your lyrics:
I love how the questions keep coming throughout (with no answers  - but each one brings a historical fact that helps the listener stay interested)
I enjoyed how the writer changes focus, first on his own feelings, then on her, then finally on his environment (heaven, hell, ocean) good stuff.
The only suggestion for improvement would be at the last verse. I found it difficult to join the lines into a sentence that made sense. Perhaps it could read something like:

Cast away over water, I've set sail God knows where 
Since the day I first saw her as she moved through the faire.

..although it changes your meaning somewhat.
Nice job
Paul

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »
This doesn't do much for me, which is why I didn't respond at first. I like the idea of writing through a series of questions. I also have no problem with rewriting folk songs, but this doesn't really live up to the melody. Do you have links to the other versions. I'd be interested to see the other rewrites.

Maybe path rather than pathway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Moved_Through_the_Fair

This version is very different musically from the one I downloaded.  I'm not real sure my lyrics would seamlessly fit into the music that Fairport Convention sang.  The music I downloaded is way more Celtic and even has a bit of a "pre-Celtic folk" sound to my ears. 

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »
Hi Verlon,
I'm not familiar with the song either but can offer my two cents on your lyrics:
I love how the questions keep coming throughout (with no answers  - but each one brings a historical fact that helps the listener stay interested)
I enjoyed how the writer changes focus, first on his own feelings, then on her, then finally on his environment (heaven, hell, ocean) good stuff.
The only suggestion for improvement would be at the last verse. I found it difficult to join the lines into a sentence that made sense. Perhaps it could read something like:

Cast away over water, I've set sail God knows where 

..although it changes your meaning somewhat.
Nice job
Paul

Not worried about changing the meaning.  And in my actual recording of this, this entire line isn't in the song.  I just added it thinking it ties back better to the "As She moved Throught the Faire" title.  My original title was "Would She."  I'm not sure I like the addition of this set of lines now that I've had a chance to look at them for awhile.

I like yours better than mine.  I'd be interested in your opinion about keeping or losing the line entirely.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:11:44 PM »
Sure - dump the last piece if it's not needed - the rest of the lyrics stand up pretty good without it.
cheers
Paul

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 11:32:40 PM »
Hi. You set me off looking on you tube for new versions. I knew ones by van Morrison, sinead oconnor, Anne Briggs and airport. But try this one too ..  

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »
Hi. You set me off looking on you tube for new versions. I knew ones by van Morrison, sinead oconnor, Anne Briggs and airport. But try this one too ..  

Hi Adam:  Here are two I found that are more similar to the music I used. 

Loreena Mckennit's version is closest.  I suspect it's truer to the older stylings.  She's consciously trying for a more Celtic sound I think. 

I never listened to anyone's versions before I wrote and recorded lyrics.  Didn't want to be influenced by what had been done before.  For that reason, the vocal on mine is quite different from any of these.  Now that I know the music is older than 1913 (and therefore definitely "public domain") I'll try to post my version in "works in progress" this weekend. 

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 07:14:29 AM »
Hi. Oh that makes sense. So you just heard the music first? look forward to gearing it. It's all in the public domain i think. I perform it in a duo (not me singing). The melody is wonderful, but I think the original lyrics are just as good. So it surprised me that you'd want to rewrite them wholesale. Look forward to hearing your version though and I'll send you a link to ours. Really enjoyed listening to other versions. My wife commented that she's always felt it odd that so many of the versions are by women. The lyric is so clearly a man's perspective. Cheers, Adam

Allan

• Busker
    • You Tube
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »
Hi verlon, I've been away otherwise would have posted a lot sooner, I really like your lyrics, they flow very nicely and tell the love story with some beautiful imagery.
well done.
Al

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »
Hi. Oh that makes sense. So you just heard the music first? look forward to gearing it. It's all in the public domain i think. I perform it in a duo (not me singing). The melody is wonderful, but I think the original lyrics are just as good. So it surprised me that you'd want to rewrite them wholesale. Look forward to hearing your version though and I'll send you a link to ours. Really enjoyed listening to other versions. My wife commented that she's always felt it odd that so many of the versions are by women. The lyric is so clearly a man's perspective. Cheers, Adam

Hi Adam:  Sorry I missed this so long ago.  I'd LOVE to hear your version.  Please do send me a link. 

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 08:28:15 PM »
Thanks for introducing me to this song - may be one I'll learn

I'm not sure how I feel about the day/day rhyme in the bridge - perhaps some reference to kneeling on a ground of clay could be incorporated into it, as part of the description of her praying

I do like this and look forward to hearing it though

finestrat

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 03:18:45 PM »
Just listened to Sinead O Connor singing this, I'm sure that originally the lyrics were written first and the melody was formed to encase them even though they didn't appear to fit very well. In a way, your lyrics probably fit better because the melody is already there,hope that makes sense