Scarred

• 11 Replies

EattheChildren

• Open Mic
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:36:22 AM »
This is a song I wrote about self harm. I'm close to a lot of people who do self harm, and these are just my opinions on the matter. Leave a comment and give me some advice :D

A razor breaking flesh
Spilling blood from a broken body
Her life is full of trouble
And her scars will tell the story
A life filled with pain
Is the only thing she's ever known
And the scars that line her wrist
Will show you how she's grown

I want to kiss your scars
I want to wash the hurt away
I want to know your pain
I want to make it better

Tell me what it is that hurts you
I need to know what else I can do
To make you know that sometimes
The strongest have their scars
And if they every try to hurt you
They'd better have somewhere to run to
Because I'm going to show them that
The strongest are always scarred

A girl is craving pain again
To soothe the hurt the others made
The words they said and all they did
To her is more than just a game
If you could see the way she bled that night
Would you try and take that knife?
If you could see the pain she locks away
Would you hold her and say that "it's okay"?

I want to kiss your scars
I want to wash the hurt away
I want to know your pain
I want to make it better

These scars say words we couldn't speak
But no one ever stops and thinks
About what they've done

And if they ever try to hurt you

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »
Hi,

Thoughtful, and thought provoking lyrics.
I particularly like the lines;

Like the rings within a tree, counting each year.

I'm guessing it should be
"And if they ever try to hurt you"

Emotive stuff.
Plans for recording?

Eat the Children would make a good song title as well. A song about poverty perhaps.
Cheers,

Digger

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »
I guess for some people this could be a touchy subject but it's brave of you to write about. I really like this and there's some good emotive language used. I think the first verse is really strong and my favourite part.
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

EattheChildren

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:32:44 PM »
Hi,

Thoughtful, and thought provoking lyrics.
I particularly like the lines;

Like the rings within a tree, counting each year.

I'm guessing it should be
"And if they ever try to hurt you"

Emotive stuff.
Plans for recording?

Eat the Children would make a good song title as well. A song about poverty perhaps.
Cheers,

Digger

Thank you for the comment, and yes, the lyrics are "if they ever hurt you". I must have messed up while typing. I have a band and I would love to record it, but we're rather unknown and have little access to recording equipment. Speaking of Eat the Children, I did write a song by that title. Ot was about conflicts in the Middle East that affect the lives and innocence of their children. I'll post the lyrics at a later time :)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
I think some of it is too blunt, if I'm honest. I've never experienced this, and my heart goes out to all those that have, but I think hearing 'a razor breaking flesh, spilling blood, etc' if you have experienced it may be a little too much? You could try and be more cryptic with it, as the wording does sound quite harsh.
The chorus however, is rather beautiful, it creates a little twist in the story, so I really love that :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 05:00:09 PM »
"Self harm" takes so many different forms - (physical, mental, emotional - every way that someone ELSE could abuse you, you can abuse yourself) -  that your song doesn't deal with that I felt myself wondering if it were incomplete. 

But I realize that the song could be 100 pages long if you include them all.  I think this is a really good lyric, but I couldn't identify with it.  I think that's just me, and not the lyric.  I've never been able to get my head around the whole concept of self-mutilation. 

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

EattheChildren

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 03:30:33 AM »
I guess for some people this could be a touchy subject but it's brave of you to write about. I really like this and there's some good emotive language used. I think the first verse is really strong and my favourite part.

Thank you so much :) It's really not meant to offend anyone, and if it does I'm really sorry! I just wanted to convey that I want to give my soul to those who truly need a friend, or just someone to give them a hug or compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed my lyrics, and I hope I write more lyrics that you enjoy :)

EattheChildren

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 03:33:16 AM »
I think some of it is too blunt, if I'm honest. I've never experienced this, and my heart goes out to all those that have, but I think hearing 'a razor breaking flesh, spilling blood, etc' if you have experienced it may be a little too much? You could try and be more cryptic with it, as the wording does sound quite harsh.
The chorus however, is rather beautiful, it creates a little twist in the story, so I really love that :)

Thanks for the comment :D I've never really considered that it might be too blunt or even harsh. I'll try to think of something a bit more mysterious. And I'm so glad you liked the chorus :) I hope I can improve these lyrics to create a better song!

EattheChildren

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 03:35:36 AM »
"Self harm" takes so many different forms - (physical, mental, emotional - every way that someone ELSE could abuse you, you can abuse yourself) -  that your song doesn't deal with that I felt myself wondering if it were incomplete. 

But I realize that the song could be 100 pages long if you include them all.  I think this is a really good lyric, but I couldn't identify with it.  I think that's just me, and not the lyric.  I've never been able to get my head around the whole concept of self-mutilation. 

You're right on many levels. I suppose I should have specified that this song is about those who cut themselves in order to inflict pain on themselves. I suppose that I get so lost in the hype of razors and knives that I completely forget that self harm takes many forms. Thanks for the correction :)

Gallowglass

• Solo Gig
  • Dime Store Saint
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 10:52:56 AM »
Songs about this topic can't be this blunt: self-harm isn't something self-harmers usually like being reminded of. That's why bands that do reference cutting do so discreetly' you can hardly even tell they are doing it unless you're already familiar with the subject. It's only really the first verse that's exceptionally blunt, though. That would put me off.
Band recommendation of the week: Fit For Rivals? False. Renee Phoenix has no rivals.

'She can still hear the Rebel Yell just as loud as it was in 1983' - Thrash Unreal, Against Me!

Nellie

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 01:57:56 PM »
It is so nicely written, I really liked it! This is my favourite part:

'Tell me what it is that hurts you
The strongest are always scarred'

I like how it says that the strongest have their scars and that's what made them strong actually! Wonderfully written! :)

jameba

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
hey, enjoyed some of these lyrics a lot, well written, a quite a powerfull song, cant personally relate but know of someone.

well done

James