konalavadome

Mixing Exercise - dinnerwithgreedo What You Crying For?

• 7 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« on: September 15, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
dinnerwithgreedo posted the stems to his song What You Crying For? on the Feedback on Finished Songs section:

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/what-you-cryin'-for/

I said I'd have a go at a remix and here it is:

http://soundcloud.com/diademgrove/dinnerwithgreedo-what-you

diadem

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »
Hey, firstly i'm so honoured you took the time to do this.

To me the main music sounds too quiet (to deliver the punch) and tinny. I like what you did with the vocals however but lets face it, i sing it bad. I like where you've placed things too :)
Thank you sooooooo much.

Paul

p.s. Oh and thank you for starting this thread. Here's the files if anyone else wants to have a go:  http://www.mediafire.com/folder/pb765jhgg4q2t/What_You_Crying_For_BITS
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
Hi Paul,

the punch thing must be my music centre as it sounds ok to me. I did try and make the vocals a bit more prominent. I muddied up the music a bit as I thought it went better with the lyrics.

I'm glad you like what I did with the vocals. I didn't think they were too bad which is why they sound a bit more prominent.

I enjoyed working with your stems, it was a pleasure. I'm glad you liked most of what I've done.

diadem

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Hi Paul,

the punch thing must be my music centre as it sounds ok to me. I did try and make the vocals a bit more prominent. I muddied up the music a bit as I thought it went better with the lyrics.

I'm glad you like what I did with the vocals. I didn't think they were too bad which is why they sound a bit more prominent.

I enjoyed working with your stems, it was a pleasure. I'm glad you liked most of what I've done.

diadem

Oh I did. Like I said, I'm honoured you spent the time on it. I cringe when I sing 'leave it out...'. There's no oomph behind it. I will (when I can be bothered) re-record them sometime.

Thanks again.
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 10:22:33 PM »
Hi, please leave them up so I can have a listen. Not promising anything but I'd like o have a go. :)Neil
songwriter of no repute..

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:35:25 PM »
Hi, please leave them up so I can have a listen. Not promising anything but I'd like o have a go. :)Neil

They ain't going nowhere Neil! Good luck.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:00:52 AM »
Hiya. A few days before I'll have my studio room setup but I think I might give this a go...

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 10:31:33 AM »
Hi Paul,

sorry not to have been back, football and trying to save our club's name got in the way.

I really like the Leave it out bits, they may not have any oomph but they provide a contrast with the music and the rest of the vocals. They hang back as the music's hurtling forward, reinforcing what the song is about. They also sound like a second voice, which, of course, they are.

If you made them similar to the rest of the vocal the contrast would disappear and so would some of the dark and light, to the detriment of the song, in my opinion.

Feel free to ignore if you disagree.

diadem