konalavadome

Ballad of Geronimo Varushnakov

• 29 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 02:29:27 AM »
Hi HTM,
Great title, had to read this.  I was kind of waiting for the chorus to be something like 'GERONIMO!!!!' so that distracted me a bit, but your explanation above is noted.  I think hearing it first, rather than reading it would remove this issue anyway.
Loved the part
"Said “Son, it isn’t what we have that makes us happy,
it’s what we take the time to enjoy.”"

It's almost Shakespearean
If you record it and it doesn't come out too long this song could be great

nice one,
GTB

It's already recorded, albeit badly, and with too many voices on the track.  It's why I never did anything with it.  But I'll post it this weekend as is and see what everyone thinks. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 11:46:30 PM »
For those interested in hearing music for the "Ballad of Geronimo Varushnakov". 

In 2007, I paid a guitarist named Paul Newett to write and record melody and guitar accompaniment for the song.  Paul's version is now on my site with his name on it.  The only version of it I have from him is the one with his vocals on it.  If I had known, I'd have insisted on a raw instrumental version that I could sing over.  Just didn't know at the time.

Also on my site now is a version in which I sing vocals with (and over) Paul's vocals and in which I roughly made the tempo adjustments discussed in the lyric. 

For me, the absolute best thing that could happen would be for someone with guitar skills to cover this song and allow me to use their version to help market the song.  The versions I currently have of it are inadequate for that purpose. 

Anyway.... both versions can be found by following this link and/or the one at the bottom of every post from me.

I'll leave the songs on the site for not more than a week. 

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 03:09:07 AM »

Hi Verlon.
                     I seemed to have missed this & just as well as you have added a LINK to what it could sound like recorded. Theres  part of the melody which really strikes a chord & I love it,The other bits
in my opinion need to be brought to life. Its an unusually different & positively good song with great potential.    I can see why you are passionately proud of this......Good work!    Stylus:)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 06:34:02 AM »

Hi Verlon.
                     I seemed to have missed this & just as well as you have added a LINK to what it could sound like recorded. Theres  part of the melody which really strikes a chord & I love it,The other bits
in my opinion need to be brought to life. Its an unusually different & positively good song with great potential.    I can see why you are passionately proud of this......Good work!    Stylus:)

Thank you for having listened.  I agree that it's too "flat" ... too much monotony.  What I paid for, and got was minimal accompaniment.  I love what he's done, but know it's incomplete.  And I'm not competent to finish it and in spite of trying multiple times can't come up with anything musically as good as his concept.  It's very frustrating being so close to a good song and not being able to "close the deal." 

I'm open to ANYTHING to get this finished and recorded. 

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 09:31:16 AM »
I really enjoyed reading your lyrics.  So many great lines and an excellent story too!  A fine opening verse -

If he could bet faster horses, Drive bigger cars,
Meet Faster women in higher class bars,
Oh, he’d be thanking his lucky stars
if he could have all of these things. 

This verse informs the reader about the desires/values of the central character. however, my favourite lyric of yours which, also possesses great wisdom, is -

“Son, it isn’t what we have that makes us happy,
it’s what we take the time to enjoy.”

A very good write!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 06:54:37 PM »
I really enjoyed reading your lyrics.  So many great lines and an excellent story too!  A fine opening verse -

If he could bet faster horses, Drive bigger cars,
Meet Faster women in higher class bars,
Oh, he’d be thanking his lucky stars
if he could have all of these things. 

This verse informs the reader about the desires/values of the central character. however, my favourite lyric of yours which, also possesses great wisdom, is -

“Son, it isn’t what we have that makes us happy,
it’s what we take the time to enjoy.”

A very good write!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read it.  I've posted two versions of it on my Reverbnation site (two because neither of them is quite what I wish they were, but both might show the musical potential) in case you're interested in what kind of song it could make.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
Hi HTM,

Your recording doesn't do the song justice at all, I know you said that above.  It sounds really miserable and as if the vocal melody was though up as he went along.  If you know the chords he played and would like me to try to reproduce just the guitar I'd be happy to have a go.  P.m. me if you're interested.
cheers,
GTB
GTB

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 03:41:17 AM »
Hi HTM,

Your recording doesn't do the song justice at all, I know you said that above.  It sounds really miserable and as if the vocal melody was though up as he went along.  If you know the chords he played and would like me to try to reproduce just the guitar I'd be happy to have a go.  P.m. me if you're interested.
cheers,
GTB

I'll try to pm you tomorrow in the morning, my time.  Your time will be about seven hours later.  .  .  so probably around 6:00 in the evening.

EattheChildren

• Open Mic
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 05:29:29 AM »
I love how the story flows :D definitely worth dusting off and perfecting

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 05:02:32 AM »
Hi HTM,

cheers,
GTB

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 10:54:47 PM »
Hi HTM,

cheers,
GTB

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you.  I've run out of "download time" on my home computer, and can only take bits of time from work on breaks or lunch.  I do want to discuss getting music from you for this song, and I will work on getting that chording info you need. 

Tomorrow, I have a "fresh slate" for the month and can spend time on the internet at home.  Didn't want to start discussing this until I knew I could do it justice.  Thanks for being patient with me. 

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »
Hi HTM,

cheers,
GTB

I tried to send you a p.m. and wasn't able to make it send.  Not sure if the problem is my computer, or my understanding of the software here. 

I'll keep trying.

Just wanted you to know I'm trying.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
Hi Vernon,

p.m. received ok & replied. :-)  I'll have a play-along with it this week and see what comes out.

cheers,
GTB
GTB

KEVIN B

• Open Mic
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »
hey verlon,

sorry my friend only just realised that this was written by you !

what a great song, clever lyrics my friend, my fav part is the chorus without doubt, it just flows along effortlessley,

i'm trying to get afeel for how it should sound and what tempo, be interesting to see what you come up with !

nice write though,

kev !

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »
hey verlon,

sorry my friend only just realised that this was written by you !

what a great song, clever lyrics my friend, my fav part is the chorus without doubt, it just flows along effortlessley,

i'm trying to get afeel for how it should sound and what tempo, be interesting to see what you come up with !

nice write though,

kev !

I'll e-mail you an mp3 of where it stands now if you'd like.