Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

Inspiration?

(1/4) > >>

postmn:
i was wonder were you guys get your inspiration to write most of your songz because i dont have much inspiration and im finding it harder to find some

tone:
It's a tricky thing, inspiration... To be honest I don't go anywhere to get my inspiration; I wait for it to come and find me. There are two things that help though - one is being around other musicians, especially songwriters. Since I've begun going to a weekly open mic night, my musical mind has become much more active. Second is to spend time playing. It doesn't matter if it's not your own songs - just sit down with the guitar/ piano/ whatever, and at some point your fingers will start to wander off and you'll be in the middle of writing a song. At least, that's how I find things come to me.

It will be interesting to see what the others say...

mihkay:
If I'm stuck, I tend to just doodle around on the guitar or piano, putting my fingers in places they don't normally go until I hit on a chord or a sequence that catches my ear. It normally only takes that little spark to fire up my enthusiasm again.  :)

Mihkay.

postmn:
i found my inspiration, im just going with what i can, since i dont play any instruments but im allways struggling to write the second verse or third of a song any advice there

hofnerite:
Personally I don't slave away at lyrics (maybe it shows!) and I don't sit looking for inspiration. The easiest way for me to come up with a song is to either think of a song title or a first line and the rest just follows. 

For example, I found that a great way for coming up with song titles is to look at the horse racing section of a newspaper. Racehorse names are generally catchy, short, to the point and may lead to a story.

I found one once called "Slipstream" and thought it was a good title for a song so from that title I came up with the line "Don't sit in the slipstream, turn against the flow" which then led to a song about not sitting still and letting things happen but taking every opportunity given to you. Each line just came from the previous line and if you just treat songwriting like a continuous train of thought, I think they write themselves.

I find this the easiest way to create lyrics without ever getting writers block or having to wait weeks for something to appear. Also the more you do it, the easier it gets. try some yourself, with or without music just to see how easy it can be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version