Speedwriting Competition

• 34 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »
So long as I'm not paired with myself I dont mind!!
N
songwriter of no repute..

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »
Having a private seeding list was my of trying to avoid embarrassing peeps but it appears that may not be effective. As attractive as I am in a at I am not keen on that idea either incase I end up drawing Jess and then my music would be overshadowed by her lyrics.

Perhaps if entrants gave themselves a rating when they entered then the would be able to seed themselves, so no complaints then?

What say you folks?

Allan.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »
Allan,
Could do or keep it simple and randomly draw people..
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
I think I'll cross that bridge down the road. First I need to gather en
Ough participants to make it worth while. ATM I have doubts...

Allan.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »
Just a thought Allan, if you struggle to get people to play...

Open it up to solo entries as well.

My main concern about entering is not being able to get it done, and letting my partner down. If it was an open entry, solo thing, people can enter on a whim when it starts, if they have time..

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 09:46:14 PM »
I'd like to enter as a musician, but it all depends on when this is supposed to go down.
24 hours is quite a challenge though, as well as the predifined genre...

Might be hard to pick the right time as well, good luck finding a 24h window that works for all participants.

Or am I misunderstanding something here?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:50:00 PM by Michael »

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 10:05:48 PM »
Having a private seeding list was my of trying to avoid embarrassing peeps but it appears that may not be effective. As attractive as I am in a at I am not keen on that idea either incase I end up drawing Jess and then my music would be overshadowed by her lyrics.

Perhaps if entrants gave themselves a rating when they entered then the would be able to seed themselves, so no complaints then?
I'm sorry Allan I'll TRY and be less amazing but I can't guarantee anything ;D ;D ;D
But seeing as everyone here seems to be very modest, I think everyone would rate themselves really low therefore there's kind of another flaw in that plan :(
Unless people PM each other and pick their own partners? I don't know, that could be a bit predictable though...

Just a thought Allan, if you struggle to get people to play...

Open it up to solo entries as well.

My main concern about entering is not being able to get it done, and letting my partner down. If it was an open entry, solo thing, people can enter on a whim when it starts, if they have time..
I don't really see the point of solo entries, how would it work because you could have an already finished song that you send in for the competition even though it wasn't made in 24 hours? Plus, isn't the point to get more people collaborating?
Although, maybe it could be 48 hours instead of 24 if people are finding the time frame difficult? I've never 'produced' a track so I have no idea how long it takes :)

It's like a game of musical ideas badminton :D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »
Hi Allan,

given the short timescale I don't really see any alternative to somebody picking the two people who will write and record the song. We are entering the unknown. If we do one and its successful it will make it easier to do the next. We'd also have a concrete example of how everything worked or didn't. What needs to be changed and what doesn't.

So, having said that I've no objection to you picking the pairs for the first competition, setting a date and seeing what happens.

Who knows it could be fun.

diadem

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 04:57:19 AM »
Interesting idea...but I don't think it will work for me...I'm in another time zone so 24 hours would be

more like 8 :o :o

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 05:33:12 AM »
I don't think it will have an impact Suzy as 24 hours affords everyone the exact same timeframe, 12 at night and 12 day. I also have a vastly different time zone but then I have the advantage of also being an experienced time traveller so as long as my tardis doesn't break down I should be sweet.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 05:57:43 AM »
But if you're collaborating with someone on the other side of the world, they'd be sleeping while I'm

awake and vice versa and whose time zone do you go by to calculate the 24 hr start to finish ??? ???

Cool that you are a time traveler 8) so I'm I  8) I also travel in different dimensions :o do you? ;D

Rhysian

• Busker
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »
I think this is a really interesting idea and I wish I could take part.  Unfortunately, I have a young, demanding family and can pretty much guarantee that I won't be able to commit the time to it :-( (I usually do my writing and recording in small snatched moments of time over a quite long period). As habiTat mentioned earlier, I wouldn't want to risk letting my partner down. 
Good luck with it though, I look forward to hearing the results.

Rhysian x

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 02:08:27 PM »
I think it's a great idea and sounds really fun.... But I think I'd be pretty awful at it... I don't think I'd work well at speed...everything is a slow process for me...and like others would be worried about letting my partner down....... I hope you find enough though as I'd love to hear the results!

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
CRYSTALSUZY WHERE DO YOU COME FROM!? :o
(...I'm not stalking you I'm just curious :D)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »
hi Allan,

this could be frustratingly funny count me in for lyrics mate,

tony...