Speedwriting Competition

• 34 Replies

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »
I wish to propose a new competition idea and I am happy to co-ordinate it providing there is sufficient support for the idea.

SPEED WRITING
===========

COMMENCES:    TBA
CLOSES       :    TBA

collaborative pairs, lyrisist and musician, will work together to produce and record a song within a 24 hour time frame. The resulting songs will then be judged by the forum who will mark a judging tickbox judging sheet on  following points:

How well at fits the genre 10pts
How well it covers the topic  10pts
Structure   5pts
Lyrical Quality  10 pts
Rhyme Quality  10pts
Feel   5pts
Melodic Appeal   10pts
Catchyness   5 pts
Backing track quality  10pts
Vocal Quality     5pts
Production Quality 10pts  
Overall Quality     10pts

TOTAL 100 pts

RULES.

1.  The calloborative pairs will be matched from seeded lists secretly compiled by seriousfun who will endevour to make the teams as even as is possible.

2.  the lyricist must be the driving force behind the lyrics though some input is compulsory from the musician.

3. the musician must be the driving force behind the playing and recording but the lyrisist must appear on the track in some form.

4. A genre and subject topic will be advised at the commencement time to prevent participants from planning in advance.

5. no acapellas. or instrumentals allowed.

6. song duration must be between 2 and 3 mins.

7. songs must be posted on soundcloud before the 24 hour deadline.

8. no late entries excepted. no excuses.

9. each person may enter twice if desired. once as a lyricist and once as a musician.

10.  more rules as yet unidentified, but watch this space as i may need to add rules at various times to maintain a competitive advantage.

thats the concept, now i just wait to see if it has traction. if you atre interested in taking part please pm me and i will add you to the growing list.

Allan.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:32:30 PM by seriousfun »

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:20:51 PM »
reserved for final results.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »
reserved for final songs list

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:21:53 PM »
reserved for list of collaborators.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:43:45 PM »
Just a couple of questions.

1. Do you pair up the musician and lyricist?

2. Isn't 24 hours a little too short to contact each other, write, record and produce the song?

diadem

ps it sounds like hard work which could be fun

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »
my idea of matching lyricists to musicians is to secretly ( so no-one is offended) compile two seeded lists. one of lyrisists and one of musicians and reverse match them. ie: best musicians with worst lyrisists and visa versa. that should make the contest as even as possible.

24 hours too short? lol i had been contemplating an hour lol.

I think as long as its over a weekend period it should be fine. Its a pressure situation and thats the whole concept. Of course with me down in the pacific the competition will close 12 hours later muhahahah

Allan.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:01:25 PM »
" Of course with me down in the pacific" that sounds so exotic Allan ....when the weathers turning colder in old Blighty..........what is your family history?

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:04:38 PM »
 very sketchy my friend  ;D ;D

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 12:13:44 AM »
very sketchy my friend  ;D ;D

Convicts then. :o

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 12:17:33 AM »
Wrong country. The convicts went to Australia. Here in NZ we had to breed our own.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 12:20:53 AM »
Wrong country. The convicts went to Australia. Here in NZ we had to breed our own.

Pirates? shipwrecked victims..?sheep rustlers! £10 poms who didn't like AUS..the mind boggles mate.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »
I love the amount of detail your competition has...you've spent waaaay too much time thinking about this ;D

However, is it right to match best and worst lyricists and musicians, won't that make people feel degraded if they're with a really talented musician (which most people here are) because they feel that that makes them the 'worst'?
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »
I love the amount of detail your competition has...you've spent waaaay too much time thinking about this ;D

However, is it right to match best and worst lyricists and musicians, won't that make people feel degraded if they're with a really talented musician (which most people here are) because they feel that that makes them the 'worst'?

Good point Jess..by this reasoning i would be paired with......., well i`d better not say :)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »

Good point Jess..by this reasoning i would be paired with......., well i`d better not say :)
;)
I think it's a good idea to match people (opposed to picking them yourselves) but maybe we should do it out a hat or something?
Someone could make a YouTube video where they write all the participants names on paper and stick them in a hat- if it's you Allan you could use one of your snazzy ones like you wore in your live stream :D and then they could post that video to the competition thread (to avoid any 'cheating')
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply Allan, I'll be in as a musician. It takes me far to long to write words. I don't mind be categorised towards the bottom of the musician's list.

diadem