Come back to you

• 20 Replies

adamholden

• Open Mic
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »
So, here's the first of some songs I've written for and about my family. This one was for my baby daughter. A bit out of a strange one, moving from imagined future and back to present. Like much of parenting it's as much about me as it is about her, but it is an attempt to write a straight song about love. What do people think about the topic, music, lyrics?

Hope you like it. Mix needs some work, but I think I'll re record it when I get the time.

https://soundcloud.com/adam-holden-1/come-back-to-you-rough-mix

Come back to you   (Adam Holden)            

Close the door and keep the world at bay         
There’s no more good company to keep          
Draw the curtains and lie down on your bed      
The only thing for certain comes with sleep       

Hoping for a moment that               
Things will work out fine             
Love will come back to you               
Given space and time                  

Shut your eyes and forget you’ve ever seen him
Water shall not sooth, nor music heal
Stop your lips and deny he ever kissed them
You can touch but you cannot feel

When you’re far from home
And there’s nothing I can say 
On some splendid day      

Perhaps I should tell you what you’ll live to know         
That life comes undone as we drift down here below      
But I don’t have the words and I can’t find the song         
That knows where you go to when love’s gone wrong       

I watch you sleeping kiss your cheek and hair
Dim the light, ‘goodnight’, and close the door
Tomorrow morning brings another sun
To a world where all you are can still be won

And though the ones we need
Just vanish into night
And hold you tight.

Rhysian

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »
Awww, that's really beautiful. I love the guitar playing.  I also love the simplicity of just the guitar and vocal, it doesn't need anything else.  Great work.

Rhysian x

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:18:32 PM »
Thanks Rhysian. Glad you like it. Didn't get the mix right, but I also did it live and think I might try recording the guitar and vocals separately  some time.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:03:12 PM »
There's a thread somewhere else on the forum (maybe the bar) where the topic is about whether people think they should/do Americanise their accent for songs. I think this is a great example of one that works so much better with your lovely English vowels as they are.

Your voice is lovely and so is your playing. And the lyrics are very touching about how you wish you could protect your daughter but you know you can't protect her from everything, and can't prevent all heartbreaks, but hope that things will work out fine.

Very lovely song for a father to write for his daughter!

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:01:08 PM »
Sure the production lacks in clarity and dynamics but it does not detract from what a lovely song this is. That is a lovely arp you are playing, and it suits the song to a T. The lyric is very easy for me to identify with. Loved the whole thing and IMHO it is deffinately worth developing further.

Great stuff

Allan.

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 11:34:44 PM »
I was  completely absorbed in to this song.  The guitar chord work & vocal melody is very appealing &
lyrically it needs just a slight polish this does not detract from what a potentially strong song this is.
          Truly beautiful :)                     very pleasant listen        Cheerz   Stylus :)

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:14:52 AM »
Lovely intimate guitar sound, I like the way it's mic'ed and recorded with all the fret noise etc.

I liked the song overall. I felt maybe there was scope to maybe step it up more towards the end.  I'm no guitarist but maybe some more intensity through a sort of strum/mute hearing the hands on the guitar body type thing.  I don't know whether what I'm hearing in my head is coming across.

Anyway, it works ok as it is.

Yodasdad

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
Thanks all for thoughtful and kind comments. It took me ages to be comfortable with my voice and accent is an important element in that. Might check outs that thread. Caco thanks for the comments. You describe very well what I was aiming at, so glad it worked for you.

Allan ... My plan is to record again, so I am trying to get a sense of which Songs to focus on. So far I've posted older songs I don't play as part of current set. Have a new main guitar since I recorded this, but its spruce and this one is cedar. The warmth is really nice.

Stylus. Cheers but say more specifically if you would on the lyric. What could I trim? Or are there bits you don't get?

Yodasdad. Thanks. I'll have a go at the ending. The main riff does lend itself to giving it some but I kept the mood subdued.

Thanks again. Adam

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »
It wasn't the bar, it's here - http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/the-writing-process/are-you-true-to-your-accent-or-just-faux-american/ (in The Writing Process).

Cheers!
Becky

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
Wish my rough recordings were this good. :)

It`s very relaxing to listen too..........not overly sentimental....your vocal is fine..accent fine...we`re not trained singers are we. ;)

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »
Hello Adam
I like this one.Very well played and very well played. Wonderful melody and definitely worth to work on.Singing is good but I think you have to try to be more relaxed.
Regards Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

Dogmax

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »
Really nice and relaxing Adam, really really nice   8)

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
Thanks both. Will try it live at some point.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 04:57:13 PM »
Superb guitar playing - perfectly judged for the song. Also I thought your singing was lovely - unaffected and direct with a gorgeous tone. It sounded very English folk to me which is great. The lyrics are excellent and fit the melody beautifully. All in all, a fantastic job which I enjoyed listening to very much.

philaturner

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »
Hi Adam
Lovely guitar playing with a very soulful vocals. Good recording, I always find recording acoustic guitar just about the hardest instrument to record.

Phil