a new CalmLondon song called Euphoria (a CL and DB collaboration)

• 12 Replies

Dutchbeat

« on: August 03, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »
beautiful CalmLondon  8) 8) 8) 8)
vocals and song!!!! by CL

we are trying to get the arrangment and the mix right / better, so here it is.... :P

https://soundcloud.com/dutchbeat-1/euphoria-new-mix

please give your honest feedback and give us tips where to go from here

thanks!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:49:11 PM by Dutchbeat »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »
I really like the core of and direction of this song, as I did when I first heard it on soundcloud.
I'm hearing a Florence and I the melody/chords, use of the repeating phrase and ethereal vocals. Some of the complex drum pattens sound great too. It could become something very powerful.

In terms of feedback {and I'm pretty traditional about things} I think its currently caught between two stools: and its sounds like halfway through a remix when the core recording and arrangement isn't yet complete.  There's alot going on but I dont think you've got an established basic song from which to apply the various pieces so it ends up sounding bitty. I'm hearing a tune build and become quiet powerful with the vocals overlaying things. So if it were me I'd get the core piano, drums, vocals etc done and then apply the mixing approach. 

Definitely worth working on, I have a lot of time for both of you so hope this is of some help.
:) :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »

Hey guys,

Really like where this is going.....love the way the vocals are handled, some great melodies and textures.  If anything ;D   I think the drums are a bit 'overdone' in places.....bit too much at times, and I'd like to hear them a bit 'warmer' ;D  I've listened to this a few times, and it is a definite 'grower'....keep at it guys, Excellent stuff ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

calmlondon

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
Hey Neil and Bin,

Thanks for offering the feedback. We needed some fresh ears on this, so really appreciate the steer. There's a couple of things to do I think. DB has done great with the arrangement so far and the drums are propelling the track.

I'll think about the structure, and also thinking changing the 'she' to 'you' to make it more universal. The underlying narrative needs sorting out too, but we'll try to keep the unconventional style of narrative verse.

P.S. Apologise for not being active on boards past months. Had crazy busy time, and family visiting from US for past six weeks.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »
Hi guys...this is lovely :) ...has a real Enya feel to it...I agree with some of the other comments, but I think this song is going to be amazing when it polished...I had a hard time understanding the lyrics in places...like the spoken bit in the beginning...I think it's the effects on the vocals...but lovely vocals CL
 :) :) ...really nice job with the arrangement DB...can't wait to hear this when it's finished :) :) CS
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:22:47 PM by crystalsuzy »

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »
Great collab guys,

I agree with other comments, it's so close to being awesome, just needs polishing. I think you need to listen to 'Teardrop' by Massive Attack. This is where I see this track going in terms of arrangement. The prominent drum beat, the floaty ghostly vocals, maybe even add some finger picked acoustic guitar to balance that drum out.

Looking forward to the next mix :)

Hab

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
I love your 'sound' and it is very present in this recording. I don't know exactly what it is but you do have a unique sound and I am glad that even in a collaboration, it survives.

I feel the delivery of the spoken lines is a little hurried. It is difficult I know, but if you could just loosen them up a bit and clarify them they would be perfect and the track would benefit. I hope you don't change/neutralise the gender of the subject. Why should you? Well, I guess I know why but this is 2013 for pete's sake!

The breathing sound is kinda good but a little odd at the same time. I think it is down to the actual execution of it. Maybe it should maybe more delicate and passionate. At the moment it puts me in mind of David Bowman at the end of '2001 A space odyssey' wandering around the artificial habitat in his space suit. All you can hear is his breathing.

A clever and busy rhythm track builds fairly well although I think it needs sharpening up a bit. The whole track has a misty sound which works for the vocal but perhaps the drums and piano should be outside of it?

Developing nicely

Shiny-o-meter; 11
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Dutchbeat

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »
@ shiny...i just wanted to say in CalmLondon's 'defense' (not that she needs that at all) that i added the breathing from a machine, i mean the breathing is a sample from a box. As is usual for me, i overdid the volume on that  ;D ;D ;D ;D

but CL and I are getting ready to try to get this into a better mix, taking all these comments on board (thanks, forumites!!!). It is mainly my job to improve this i think, the arrangment is unclear and not cool, but those vocals and melodies from CL are very cool, well CL just has a very unique voice and talent for making songs!

and @ shiny again, about the gender in the lyrics, i totally agree with you

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 07:00:17 PM »
I Like this.....I can see the concept & direction that both the vocals & the music is heading for  A great
co-project  & The drums need mixing only to gain an edge  or to sound prominant not in volume but eq.
              I think this collaboration is positive &  bears seed  for a future  'label' producing music that is commercial,mainstream &  ace!      Calm london & Dutchbeat    I'm impressed.
              Its got a direction... Youre  heading  for a  slot in the market    Superb!    Stylus:)

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 10:32:29 PM »
Hi CL & DB,
What a lovely song, fabulous vocals too.  I would make the vocals a bit louder in the mix though as I did have to strain for the words a bit.  Drums sounded great too, if they were 'programmed' I'm seriously impressed!  I agree with the comment above about the initial spoken bit sounding a bit rushed.
Awesome song.
GTB
GTB

Kafla

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 12:02:55 PM »
Great collab guys - its got an ethereal magic about it - just need to be a little more disciplined in mixing the vocal (tiny detail DB) and its going to be awesome

Just so it sits a little better and the level is consistent

You really do have a massive talent for programming drums, and synths in general  ;) A MASTER!

Its a corker of a song!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:24:19 PM by Kafla »

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »
Wow, great collab you two !  :)

I too can hear a bit of Enya in there, it's very ethereal and atmospheric - but with more of an edge! Those drums and the sharp synth sound in the left of the stereo field are awesome !

The spoken vocals are a very cool idea, so original. And the rest of the vocals are sung just beautifully.
I think you managed to create something really special here. Love that atmospheric sound.

One point of critique if I may: Sometimes the vocals seem to stop at one position in the mix and then continue at a different one (Maybe a different track in the DAW, that has different settings concerning panning, volume and reverb?)
Example at 0:49.
I found this to be a bit distracting from the songs flow.

Only one detail in a great song though, keep it up guys :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »
I like the unconventional elements of this song(spoken word,drum track,effects etc),there's a lot going on. Goldfrap meets massive attack. Definitely going in a good direction.

Cheers
Jamie ;D