country girl

• 12 Replies

Jane99

• Open Mic
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »
this is just the beginning of this song and i hope you like it ;)

https://soundcloud.com/janeh99/country-girl

I met this boy in tennessee
 he took my hand and smiled at me
we walked through tennessee
 and talked through the night
 his brown eyes met mine
and he whispered in my ear
you are  the girl i’m looking for
you are my girl
you are  my country girl

theLostLad

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
Hi jane

This sounds like the intro to a song. As soon as you stop I'm waiting for some faster more insistent strumming to come in and the song to really take off. Maybe that's a possible way to take it? Maybe the intro could also serve as an outro?

I'm not sure about the line 'we walked through tennessee'. Maybe something that rhymes with tennessee and something that is more specific - Tennessee is a big place to walk through  :)

I get the impression that you are concentrating on your guitar when you are singing, I think you need to project your vocals a bit more (I'm being hypocritical here - I need to do exactly the same!).

Who are your influences? Your other song reminded me a bit of Bobbie Gentry.

Good start, be interesting to see where it goes....

Jane99

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »
ii don't know if i translate influences right but i write song ften while i'm listening to other songs. i know that must sound wierd ;) i often listen to german singers like lisa-marie fischer and tom beck. they both sing a mix of country and folk. this song isn't finnished yet and i thought about some faster strumming ;)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »
My(very hypocritical) advice comes in one word: Confidence x
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 10:24:03 PM »
you need to find someone to help you develop this.

Lyrically your on your way...endlessly rhymes with Tennessee for example...just work it all out a bit more,,verse,bridge chorus etc. ;)

Dogmax

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:06:20 PM »
Very nice Jane i like your words easily waiting for more and your guitar playing is coming on nicely, maybe if you can record your vocals first and then your guitar it might help, post any questions you have on recording and what free software to use i'm not a expert on this but there are many here who are.

Very nice Jane    8) 

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »
I can imagine you singing a line then looking at your hand getting that chord ready and then the strum!

That's what it sounds like anyway.

Sort your strum rhythm/timing out first and then try singing to the recorded track. I think you'll get a smoother vibe going.

Well done and keep working on it.

Jane99

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »
i never found a programm where you can first record the guitar and then yourvoice ( i know terrible english sry ) do you knowe a free good programm ?

theLostLad

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »
My 'setup' is a Samson USB mic (around £60 I think) and Audacity software (free) on a Windows 7 laptop. I generally record voice and guitar at the same time, but I can also record guitar then vocals separately - but obviously you'll also need headphones.

The sound is acceptable to me as I'm just doing it for fun, but nowhere near as good as a lot of people on here. Sometimes I just record on to my mobile then upload to my laptop then add a bit of reverb or whatever in Audacity.

Just a warning about the USB mic - it took a bit of tweaking of Windows settings to get a clear input signal. Also you can some latency when overdubbing the vocals (or whatever gets recorded second, or third..) but this can be compensated for in Audacity.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:14:09 AM »
Jane, if you've an iphone or smart phone you'll find multitrack recorders on there. The one I use is FourTrack from Sonoma for sketching songs and you can even use the standard mic/earpeice, just watch your breathing when multi tracking.
What's great is you can mix and transfer the WAV recording straight to your computer. And its £2.99!
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 10:17:43 AM »
GarageBand is also a great app where you can record parts of a song and then add to it with new instruments, even if you've never played them before. I don't know how much it costs but its great if you have an iProduct :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »
Really I think all you need to do is focus more on your lyrics and you should be there. Try the app Jess suggested as well (if you have a iproduct) and see how that turns out. So far not that bad.
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »
i never found a programm where you can first record the guitar and then yourvoice ( i know terrible english sry ) do you knowe a free good programm ?

Try a program called "Audacity".  It's free and I know a lot of people who use it and swear by it.  I don't use it myself.  Got stuck paying for a mixer.  :O)
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.