konalavadome

Write a new song about being 'Homesick' for a commercial opportunity!

• 11 Replies

Oliver SoundShoots

• Busker
    • SoundShoots
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »
Hi, my name is Oliver and I'm the founder of a new music platform called SoundShoots - http://www.soundshoots.com/

We're currently running a competition on SoundShoots that challenges you to create a new song about being 'Homesick'. 

The main prize for this competition is a commercial remix of your 'Homesick' track by one of the UK's fastest rising talents in breaks and bass music, Refracture - https://www.facebook.com/Refracture

If your track is chosen by Refracture then he will create a remix of your track and release the remix through his record label, Fractured music, and you will earn a 40% share in the sales revenue of the remix.

If your demo is not chosen by Refracture then you will still have the opportunity to share and promote your track with the SoundShoots online community, win exposure on the SoundShoots blog and win a pair of SoundShoots headphones! You will remain 100% owner of your track regardless if it is chosen by Refracture or not, giving you the freedom to share, promote and commercialize your 'Homesick' demo in any way beyond the opportunities that are provided on SoundShoots.

Submissions for this competition close at 10am on 16th September (UK time).     

If you would like to get involved with this competition, or if you have any questions about it, then please feel free to get in touch with me either via posting on this thread or emailing me directly at oliver@soundshoots.com and I'll be very welcoming of your contact.

I hope you find this opportunity of interest and I look forward to your contact!

Oliver
Oliver SoundShoots- Writer, Producer and founder of SoundShoots http://www.soundshoots.com/

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:55:43 PM »
I would love to but i`m sick of home  :D half true!!

Iv`e noticed you've stuck a few of these comps up and had scant reply,,maybe you should you introduce yourself better..and get more `known`,,i think peeps think these type of posts are scams /spam?

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »

Iv`e noticed you've stuck a few of these comps up and had scant reply,,maybe you should you introduce yourself better..and get more `known`,,i think peeps think these type of posts are scams /spam?

I think the reason for the scant reply is the percentage on offer to be honest. 40% is not a good deal for a song you've written to be remixed by a DJ. 70% and I would think about it, but for less than half the profits for doing most of the work??? No thank you  ::)

Oliver SoundShoots

• Busker
    • SoundShoots
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 07:24:31 PM »

That makes sense. I find it difficult to create posts that have the right balance between being informative and not sounding like a cold hearted plug, I guess that's why copyrighters get paid so much! Anyway, it's definitely not a scam and I hope people don't read it as spam, SoundShoots is a platform I'm managing on my own i.e. it's not a big, cold commercial outfit. Maybe I'm not getting this across very well so I'll think of a way to get this across better next time... Your comments give me something to think about!   
Oliver SoundShoots- Writer, Producer and founder of SoundShoots http://www.soundshoots.com/

Oliver SoundShoots

• Busker
    • SoundShoots
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:03:22 PM »

I think the reason for the scant reply is the percentage on offer to be honest. 40% is not a good deal for a song you've written to be remixed by a DJ. 70% and I would think about it, but for less than half the profits for doing most of the work??? No thank you  ::)

Hi Mark. I think what has to be kept in mind is that there is a huge variation in how a remix can be carried out. For a bog standard DJ to remix a track I agree that 40% would be harsh. However, not only does the profile of Refracture come into play, but the best remixes are tracks that are essentially built from scratch, using elements of the original track in order to shape a totally new direction for the piece, which is how Refracture works. This process takes time, a time that is usually comparable, if not in access, to the time it takes for the original track to be created. It also has to be kept in mind that the industry standard split for a remix release would be something like 50% to the label who is releasing the remix, then the remaining 50% percent would be split in some way between the remixer and the original rights holder. So, for example, assuming you had 70% of the artist's share, this would still only give you a net 35% share in the revenue due to the label's 50% share. However, in this case, Refracture's 60% not only includes his share as an artist but also his label's share too, covering the time and costs that are required to promote the remix. Hence why we believe a net 40% revenue share to the original artist/rights holder is a good deal in this specific case.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »
Hi,

I have a couple of songs due for release with and without remixes.

Standard split for a remix is publisher 50% / remaining percentage split 50/50 between songwriter/remixer.

60% for remix artist definitely seems high.

Oliver SoundShoots

• Busker
    • SoundShoots
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:50:19 PM »
Hi,

I have a couple of songs due for release with and without remixes.

Standard split for a remix is publisher 50% / remaining percentage split 50/50 between songwriter/remixer.

60% for remix artist definitely seems high.

Hi Alan, the thing to bear in mind here is that in this case the remix artist is also the record label, as the remix is being commercially released through a record label that's owned by the remix artist. So the 60% claimed by the remix artist also covers the time and value that he provides in promoting and distributing the record.

The black and white of it is, as per your example above, usually the original songwriter gets 25%. However, in our deal the songwriter is getting 40%; a better deal. All be it in your example you're referring to publishing, whereas here we're talking record label, but the principle behind the splits in these areas are the same.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:34:29 PM by Oliver SoundShoots »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »

I think the reason for the scant reply is the percentage on offer to be honest. 40% is not a good deal for a song you've written to be remixed by a DJ. 70% and I would think about it, but for less than half the profits for doing most of the work??? No thank you  ::)

Hi Mark. I think what has to be kept in mind is that there is a huge variation in how a remix can be carried out. For a bog standard DJ to remix a track I agree that 40% would be harsh. However, not only does the profile of Refracture come into play, but the best remixes are tracks that are essentially built from scratch, using elements of the original track in order to shape a totally new direction for the piece, which is how Refracture works. This process takes time, a time that is usually comparable, if not in access, to the time it takes for the original track to be created. It also has to be kept in mind that the industry standard split for a remix release would be something like 50% to the label who is releasing the remix, then the remaining 50% percent would be split in some way between the remixer and the original rights holder. So, for example, assuming you had 70% of the artist's share, this would still only give you a net 35% share in the revenue due to the label's 50% share. However, in this case, Refracture's 60% not only includes his share as an artist but also his label's share too, covering the time and costs that are required to promote the remix. Hence why we believe a net 40% revenue share to the original artist/rights holder is a good deal in this specific case.

It's interesting really.  When I began writing songs, I always assumed that the songwriter came up with a basic outline and the artist shaped, polished, and finalized it.  Didn't really know what "production" was. 

What I've learned is that most people looking for songs are looking for polished, finished products that they don't have to work on... just reproduce.  That seems artistically insane to me.... but it appears that's how it's now done. 

For those of us incapable of producing "polished work" 40% is going to sound like heaven.  For those who have musical and production resources and have already done most of the work, it's going to sound like Hell. 

Funny how perspective changes everything isn't it. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Oliver SoundShoots

• Busker
    • SoundShoots
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »

It's interesting really.  When I began writing songs, I always assumed that the songwriter came up with a basic outline and the artist shaped, polished, and finalized it.  Didn't really know what "production" was.  

What I've learned is that most people looking for songs are looking for polished, finished products that they don't have to work on... just reproduce.  That seems artistically insane to me.... but it appears that's how it's now done.  

For those of us incapable of producing "polished work" 40% is going to sound like heaven.  For those who have musical and production resources and have already done most of the work, it's going to sound like Hell.  

Funny how perspective changes everything isn't it.  

I agree! The landscape of the industry is changing so much and a lot is down to perspective. Each deal should ultimately reflect on exactly what value each party brings to the table, which in this day and age of "DIY" music culture is more complicated in comparison to when you have more clearly defined "Songwriter", "Artist", "Remixer", "Publisher", and "Label" roles. The lines between these roles are getting more blurred, making the deals more difficult to balance in the fairest way.  

Anyway, I've been really grateful of the responses on this thread so far, it's broadening my horizons to take on board how people feel about this. If anyone reading this has any perspectives they'd like to share then please feel free to wade in!      
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:53:13 PM by Oliver SoundShoots »

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 11:05:01 PM »

What you are failing to mention here though is that the publisher would have paid the writer an advance which has to be clawed back. This is the reason for the 50/50 split. However, what you are offering is 40% to me, which would have to be split between me and my publisher, while your artist 'Refracture' gets 60% to himself. Once again I reiterate that this is a rotten deal. I can see where some unpublished writers might take a gamble, after all, 40% of nothing is nothing. But for a published writer to take this sort of deal on he would have to be really stupid.
A good remixer should be taking a maximum of 30%, and that is the maximum which any decent publisher would allow one of their tracks to go for. So the deal is not a good one.

Oliver SoundShoots

• Busker
    • SoundShoots
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 11:15:20 AM »
What you are failing to mention here though is that the publisher would have paid the writer an advance which has to be clawed back. This is the reason for the 50/50 split. However, what you are offering is 40% to me, which would have to be split between me and my publisher, while your artist 'Refracture' gets 60% to himself. Once again I reiterate that this is a rotten deal. I can see where some unpublished writers might take a gamble, after all, 40% of nothing is nothing. But for a published writer to take this sort of deal on he would have to be really stupid.
A good remixer should be taking a maximum of 30%, and that is the maximum which any decent publisher would allow one of their tracks to go for. So the deal is not a good one.

Hi Mark, I appreciate your comments, but what needs to be kept in mind here is that this is an opportunity for a single mechanical release through a label, in which case the publisher only plays a small role due to the way in which the copyright of the master recording plays a bigger role than the copyright of the song for a mechanical release.  

To quantify this, each time a record is sold through a digital outlet, the label must pay a fee to the songwriter/publisher to the amount of 8% of the retail price of the record.

So this is how the revenue generated by a mechanical release of a remix would usually be split...

Label: 42% (50% minus the 8% fee to be paid to the writer/publisher)
Original recording artist/s: 25%
Remix Artist: 25%
Songwriter & publisher: 8%

In our case, the label and the remix artist is the same party, Refracture. So by the industry rule of thumb this would usually net Refracture a total of 67%, leaving 33% to be split amongst the other parties.  

Our deal is 60% to Refracture and the remaining 40% is to be split amongst the recording artist, the songwriter and the publisher, providing these parties with 7% more than what is usual for a mechanical release.

However, what can complicate this further is that the roles of publishers and labels are becoming more blurred/entwined and DIY artist culture complicates the picture too. So perhaps your publisher also overseas your master copyright, in which case the publisher and label are one and the same. It really depends on what deals you have in place, who is responsible for what and who represents the master rights and who represents the song rights.

In any case we believe that our deal represents good value for the artist and the songwriter (who are likely to be the same person in this case), based upon a comparison with the industry norm for mechanical releases.  

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:02:58 PM by Oliver SoundShoots »

Ecoute

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 05:18:16 PM »
Thanks, Mark, for the input on this thread.  It's good to know about fair deals, copyright percentage, etc. Much appreciated.