THE BIG SLIDE nooms-vasey

• 28 Replies

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
wotcha folks

paul vasey and myself collaborated late last year with ’my own bowl’ for the pawprint/dog rescue album  http://songfordogs.org.uk/   which turned out really good so we’ve written a few more loosely aiming for a collection or album of songs together.

anyway this is the first one up called ‘the big slide’
paul wrote and performed the music, i wrote the lyric and vocal
we've never met and neither of us knows whats coming next -
but its very liberating working like this, both carrying the can so to speak..
lyrics are on the cloud page

https://soundcloud.com/noomsvasey/the-big-slide-3
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:38:58 AM by nooms »
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Dutchbeat

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:20:04 PM »
wow, that is a suprise

well, i love it, it that you Nooms, singing, what a beautiful vocal sound

and great arrangment, but also the vocal melody sounds super to me

i can not make out all the words, but never mind that, it just sounds very sophisticated and wise to me

ok, perhaps one critique, one remark, that ending...stop doing this on me guys....everytime i am ready for a big final, the repeats of a line, the chorus and thinking strings and trumpets etc would come in...it stops....why do so many of you guys do that???

anyway, this is GOLD in my opinion

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
liked this...good lyrics...good ticking beat in the background...A bit of something in here..maybe The Divine Comedy...well done it`s a great track.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »
Hey nooms,

I thought I'd chip in with one or two thoughts surrounding the development of this song and our project in general, including how I feel about the collaboration between us both.

nooms,

I didn't really expect our writing partnership to continue beyond the charity song that we worked on together some time ago. Though I must say, I loved the lyrics and vocal melody that you wrote for the project.  I was struck by how skilfully you presented your wonderful lyrics and beautiful melody for the composition. It's quite rare to find a songwriter like yourself who writes so differently to myself, yet someone who's writing style I instantly admired despite the difference in style. It's a real pleasure to see my instrumentals come to life and I know that whenever I send something to you, it's in very safe hands.  I simply wait for  a completed song to be returned that I know will knock me over!

Several months after writing the first song, nooms and I decided to write a full album pretty much at break -neck speed.  It was always my intention not to get bogged down with productions that take an age to complete.  I decided to allocate approximately two hours per song for the music.  That accounts for the use of drum loops - I'm sure programmed drums would have stretched the writing time to two weeks :-) I placed so little emphasis on writing established structures though subconsciously, that 's hard to escape.  Mainly I just tried to follow my instincts.  I can't say how much I admire the skill that  nooms brought to this project as some of the compositions threw one or two curve balls for him to contend with.  Each  instrumental had a title of it's own prior to nooms' input but every time  he completed a track, I was delighted to discover the new title and theme that he had written around.  I think I've been really fortunate to collaborate with nooms. He's a fine songwriter and such gentleman too!  So whilst I played a part in the writing of this song, I feel it's also appropriate for me to submit a review as I remember what a fantastic buzz it gave me to listen to the completed song for the first  time.

Thanks nooms!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:58:57 PM by Wicked Deeds »

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »
Ah I love everything about this, it just all works.... But the highlights for me are the vocal harmonies (I'm a sucker for them anyway, but these are just spot on, in abundance).... and absolutely at the top of a pile of good things are the lyrics. I so admire lyricists who can pull a song out of such unlikely places.... "and he was sliding now, like he was on skis, turned the audi over on the curve".... Who would think to put an audi in a song? And yet there it is, like it's meant to be.

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »
Very nice .. great vocal work ..

Cheers.

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:38:21 AM »
I have had the pleasure of hearing a few of these collabs and I have to say that I think you are both onto something massive

Although it was never intentional the music , lyric and delivery all come together perfectly - its like a whole new genre

The music feels so grand - almost Bourgeoisie and the melody/lyric is so Proletariat - its a freaky combo that works so well

I really cant praise this music highly enough - innovative, unique and it touches somewhere deep inside my soul

Seriously brilliant   ;D

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »

well thats bally nice of you paul but you sent great music tracks which helps rather a lot..!
reacted to what you sent me so... chicken and egg comes to mind..
just hope other people get into them and we keep this thing going

thanks dutchbeat ..guess they're short so as not to wear out the welcome, get out soon as you can !. hope you enjoy the next one, in a fortnight !

caco & saeed , i do love harmonys though in the bands ive been in  (singing drummer) i was always the least reliable. id be in tune and on time but sadly not necessarily the intended harmony that we'd rehearsed ! but thats drummers for yah !
thanks for your comments & stc, its nice to get a tip of the hat from you, cheers

kaf, thanks for your support and encopuragement ..encopuragement..?  encouragement..
your a diamond, thankyou

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
This is a really nice track.

The main vocal I thought could have come up ever so slightly as occasionally some of the words are little difficult to decipher, which is a shame as there's some really great lyrics in there. The only one that threw me a little was the puppy line which got me questioning what the song was about. I worked it out in the end I think ( with the help of the lyrics to read )

Harmonies worked really well, to be honest it all just worked well. Reminded me a little of Kelly Jones (stereophonics) slower stuff at times.

Well done Both

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 10:32:55 AM »
Certainly the best thing I've heard for a while. Very original and beautiful. I thought the vocals were outstanding and perfectly complemented by the arrangement.

First rate lyrics - thought provoking, full of wonderful images and imaginative touches. The only thing wrong is the ending. I guess you were going for dramatic effect but that, from my limited experience, ends up with confusion in the listener - did the power just go off?, is my PC broken?. A gentle instrumental fade would be much better IMHO but having said that, the rest of the track is totally wonderful.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »
Great title, intelligent, liked the vocals, excellently and arranged produced. Great when string came in. Liked the ending sorry Montydog...
I'm hearing a touch of elbow in there perhaps?
Lovely
 :) :)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »
Hi,

Quirky little number. I have an oldish cd called Strange and Beautiful - it's various offbeat tracks. This would sit nicely on there with Mercury Rev and that kind of sound.
Yeah, really liked it. Short, simple. Well produced.

Good stuff

Digger

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 08:25:17 PM »
Hello
Must say one of the best songs I heard here on the forum. :D It´s different and cool.Like the lyrics, the voice,the way you delivered,the music, simply everything except the end of the song.
Very extraordinary and well done.I simply love it.
Congrats Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 12:48:35 AM »
I would be lifting the vocals up in a few places. they seem fine with the harmonies but in other areas i would give them a lift, then, you will have, a fantastic recording - you already have a fantastic song.

it is the sort of thing I can imagine Steely Dan doing albiet with a very different vocal sound. nothing better, just different. it was superbly delivered as it was. the lyrics are very clever, they had me hooked and drawn in from the get go.

more please......

allan
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:33:16 PM by seriousfun »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
I'm so pleased that so many people have enjoyed listening to this song.  It provides great motivation for both nooms and I to get around to eventually writing more.  Thank you so much for the time that everyone has devoted to writing reviews.  :)

Paul