konalavadome

habiTat & Michael - Far & Wide

• 9 Replies

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:39:36 PM »
Hey all,

habiTat and myself have been working on the sequel to our latest collab 'Broom-Tailed Star' for the last weeks. (It will continue with the story and again feature a music video, but that's still in the making and I don't want to give away too much  ;) )
We've been progressing with this one quite quickly and have accumulated a flood of ideas about where to take this musically, leading to this demo:

http://soundcloud.com/michael-tkt/far-wide

We could really do with some advice from some incredible writers and musicians (this is where you come in  :D)

Our plan is to include some more choir-like Latin language vocals for the (now instrumental) part at 2:00, and possibly another instrumental bit at the end, with some vocal 'oooh's.

The instruments used are mainly piano, guitar and strings. The strings are something I would particularly appreciate some hints and pointers about, since I never really get them to sound realistic...

All honest critique and any help with this is welcome!

Michael & habiTat

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Hi Guys  A great  collaboration  Simply Beautiful!  I personally think The strings sound very real & the resonance & dynamics are perfect. Wonderful  vocals...remind me of Neil Tennant(Pet shop boys) very
nice.  Theres something that clashes  on the words Across the skies  either rhythm or guitars but
thats nothing too major.....All in all  A sensational Song & collaboration.

Thanx'z  Michael & habitat                 Stylus :)

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »
Hey Michael

Love this! Even more than Broom Tailed Star

Melody is great. Really hookey and holds you through out

I agree with Stylus, the strings are great. They don't smother what's going on. Also think the drums are fantastic! Are they live or arranged on the 'pooter?

My thoughts on the "solo"...maybe a lively distorted guitar coming in instead of the vocals? To me the track sounds quite rocky, the etheralness wouldn't gel in my mind

Another great collab guys...keeping that forum community spirit going :D

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »
Sounds a bit like golden brown chord sequence wise but the medley is very different

Michael really does bring out the best in your songs Habi - his arrangements - he is a top class producer - the dynamics are probably the best I have ever heard from a home musician - sounds like a real band playing - incredible

Nothing more to add  ;D  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:50:58 PM by Kafla »

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 02:17:47 PM »
wow, that is impressive, i like that atmosphere very much, that percussion and the string and the melody really give a special character to the song

super!!!!! I really get this feeling of some of the (best) work of Chris de Burgh when listening to you two together

epic!

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »
wow, that is impressive, i like that atmosphere very much, that percussion and the string and the melody really give a special character to the song

super!!!!! I really get this feeling of some of the (best) work of Chris de Burgh when listening to you two together

epic!

I agree with DB about the De Burgh similarities - DB got me right into him - dont mock  ;)

This song reminds me a lot of you two

BTW I think you working together is just genius :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »
Hey fellas,

this is a great collaboration!

Love the extraordinary lyrics, beautiful production and soaring vocal melody.  It has such an impact after a single listen (though I have returned for several repeat listens.) it sounds like you've devoted a great deal of time to this production and it has been extremely worthwhile.

I have only praise for this song and look forward to hearing the final version.

Paul

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great comments, myself and Michael have been working together for a while now and with every new project, it seems to get easier and more rewarding. :)

Generally speaking I'll put together a basic demo with my limited skills and equipment and then send it over to Michael, if he likes it, he'll make a short sketch track, maybe one verse and a chorus, instrumentally, then send it back. Once we're happy with the general sound he makes a full length sketch which I then record vocals to.

Tbh it means Michael does most of the work  :-\
hence why I've been making videos to compliment the music.  ;D

We really quite fancy including a new section in this, something with a different rhythm/tempo but we can't decide where it should go, or if it's really suitable for this song..?

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »
magic! sounds epic on the headphones! you need to do a full album you two like!!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

Kafla's Evil Twin

• Busker
  • The Full Bhubaneswar
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »
Man alive this is amaze balls

It reminds me a little of ' don't fear the reaper '

The cello string are off the radar - the singing is also very very good and the backing vocals

I think the problem you have , if you call it a problem is that you won't really know what to add next as its all there - a painting teacher once told me 'if you are thinking what stroke to make next then your painting's finished '

I think this is finished - in a good way - as is complete

You should form a band and take over the world  ;D
All you need is movies, guitar and crisps
You can't watch , play or eat love