konalavadome

Forum open mic nights.

• 65 Replies

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2013, 04:50:23 PM »
but I know I can't match the hat  ;D
I don't think the Crown Jewels can beat that hat!?
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »
Excited to be performing in oct. Our room is just boxes at the moment, so hopefully we can dig out a mic, computer and guitar in time :)

Couple of questions:
- As it is 'open mic' we only need do a couple of songs right?

- I am toying with the idea of really doing it live, via something like UStream or LiveStream, but I dont know if you need some kind of special camera...All I have at the mo is the video setting on a digital camera....
May also need extra promotion so someone might tune in to it. What do you think?

1, Yes, two or three songs, a 'mini-gig'

2, As for going fully live, it's up to you, I'd definitely think you'd need to post a recording of it as well though, for those of us that can't get to see it live. That was the beauty of the Youtube thing, with the two week interval between acts, we all get a chance to sit down and watch.

And like you say, you may need a good bit of plugging and promotion to get enough 'live' viewers to make it worthwhile.

(shhh, don't tell anyone but the other advantage of recording it and posting it on YT is that you can start again if you mess up  ;) )

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2016, 12:42:08 PM »
Do people still do this? I love the idea and have been toying with playing live for a while...

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »
Do people still do this? I love the idea and have been toying with playing live for a while...
I love the idea of having a 'true' online forum open mic; i think technology has caught up enough now to do this 'properly' - a live stream with multiple performers. There is lots of solutions out there for doing multiple live streams and switching between, but I imagine there is something better out there for multi-live streaming.

How it could work...
- 5-10 performers (or so) 'sign up' before the date to play 2-3 songs (depending on the number of performers). They need to have a web cam, mic etc...
- some kind of admin guy has to organise switching between the performers (& maybe introducing them etc)
- Everyone else gets a beer and watches the stream!

We would need to find some kind of live stream switching solution and then we could do it to facebook live or w/e
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:37:47 AM by Ramshackles »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
Looks like no one has posted here for awhile, so I will. This wasn't exactly an "open forum", but it was similar. Locally, we had a short-notice "variety show". People signed up in advance to perform, and people paid to get in to watch.

The variety turned out to be all music and included mostly vocalizing of one kind or another (we had one rapper). We also had a clarinet player and a violin player. A few singers used backing tracks for their singing. I had considered doing that but decided to play my guitar, because I need the practice.

I performed twice. First time around I sang two songs--"Where Do You Go, My Romeo?" and "I Need Room for My Legs". The second time I chose something more serious: "Wall Seeker". All three were well received by our modest audience of 19 people. Although it was a little hard to tell, as small audiences tend to be very quiet in a self-conscious kind of way.

I know someone recorded it, so if I can get hold of a copy, I'll post my part. In spite (or maybe "because) of the small audience, I enjoyed it a lot.

Vicki

Veance

• Busker
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2021, 12:45:03 PM »
On youtube? For the whole world to see? 😫
nil volentibus arduum