konalavadome

Forum open mic nights.

• 65 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: August 23, 2013, 11:44:43 PM »
It's been discussed before but nothing has been worked out.

Until now  ;D  ;D

Here is my idea, those who fancy a go 'on stage' at the forum bar, set yourself up with a webcam or video camera and record a mini gig, say two or three songs. Perform your favourite self penned songs live and unplugged. Then upload the video to YouTube and post the link in a new thread in the bar, with the title 'Open mic - yourname'

I thought maybe we could discuss and agree on a calendar for performances, ie every Friday or every other Friday so that we don't end up with a flood of videos and then nothing... For ages  :D

That way we could announce, say montydog or seriousfun or me, for example, will be 'performing' in the bar this Friday. The video can then be uploaded by the performer on that day and we can all watch/listen when we get time during the following week.

What do you think?

Who's up for it?

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:51:27 PM »
sounds like a good idea to me mate! i'l be up for it!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
Did somebody mention my name?

Sounds like a great idea if only I knew how use my webcam and upload videos on to YouTube. :'(

Perhaps others with more technical knowledge could kick this off - I'd like to watch and listen to others performing.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 12:35:02 AM »
I'd certainly take a look, so long as the dress code's not too strict and I'm allowed in with my trainers on.

Probably wouldn't take part though, I'll stick to writing the songs, I only sing on my own ones because I have to.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 08:20:44 AM »
Wow, what a cool idea. I'll be a starter but I might be using a stunt double in case I pull a tendon playing guitar for three songs.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
Wow, what a cool idea. I'll be a starter but I might be using a stunt double in case I pull a tendon playing guitar for three songs.

Cool, we have our first booking  ;D

Nice one Allan, when would you like to 'perform'?

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 11:47:53 AM »
Hi, great idea, i want to book a ticket....

and, perhaps we (mrs. DB and I) can do one of our aucoustic piano songs later on  ??? ??? ???(if i can persuade Mrs. DB)

in connection to this...sorry...to use this thread, but i have been saying, that perhaps one day...when the forum has its fifth birthday we could even have a party in London.....meet and greet forumites in real life  ??? ??? ??? perhaps have an open mic night and ending with a big jamm session of some kind????

edit: and adding one of my megalomanic ideas again...i have been thinking whether we could in some way have a fifth anniversarry and connect it to our project for homeless dogs......but i never came up with an idea that works because us gathering will only cost (us) money...but perhaps there are annual meetings of the charity organisation for homeless dogs.....do they need music for these events????

but: back to the online open mic idea, sorry for wandering off
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:16:50 PM by Dutchbeat »

Rhysian

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »
Good idea, I'd be up for a gig sometime.  Will have to be once school term is well under way though. :-)

Rhysian x

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »
hey,

this sounds to good to be true,
there some great artists on this forum
and I for one would love to see them perform
won't do their fan base any harm

i' ve callabed with a few, so I know what talent there is
and monty get involved please don't waste talent like that,  tony...

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »
i reckon everyone who posts songs up on here should do one - keep it simple no gimmicks just  strip your songs down to a guitar or piano and your vocals and stick them up on youtube for us all to watch - theres no excuses really why we all shouldnt all have a 2 /3 song session!

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
i reckon everyone who posts songs up on here should do one - keep it simple no gimmicks just  strip your songs down to a guitar or piano and your vocals and stick them up on youtube for us all to watch - theres no excuses really why we all shouldnt all have a 2 /3 song session!

I agree with that, a stripped back version, just like if you were playing at your local pub.

I always prefer those acoustic sets when I've seen established bands play. I remember watching a video of an Oasis gig and towards the end, Noel played a few songs on his own, I think it was 'Talk Tonight' and 'Half the world away' tbh, it's probably that few minutes of that video which inspired me to pick up a guitar in the first place.

Who else is up for this then?

Btw, Dutchy and Mrs DB unplugged would be AMAZING!!  :o

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 12:40:24 AM »
hey mate noel gallagher is agenuis in my eyes him and an acoustic guitar i defy anybody to come up with someone better! supersonic , slide away, listen up, d'you know what i mean get on them just him, vocal and an acoustic guitar!

its a challenge then i reckon for everyone on here to come up with some stripped down acoustic versions of their songs!

thats what its all about aint it , hey am gonna have a go!

go for it dutchbeat! he who dares!

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 12:43:42 AM »
oh and rock n roll star noel acoustic mega!

Daviod

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 11:33:44 PM »
What a great idea. I can't see any reason not to do it. I just can't see why it has not been done before. this has the potential to become huge, as I know that there are people out there who live in very remote places who find it impossible to perform in the normal way. I suspect that there are also song writers who are too shy to perform in public but might be able to record a slot and have it played  on youtube. I would like to do it myself but don't have the technology. but you have got me so fired up now I'm going to put that right.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
What a great idea. I can't see any reason not to do it. I just can't see why it has not been done before. this has the potential to become huge, as I know that there are people out there who live in very remote places who find it impossible to perform in the normal way. I suspect that there are also song writers who are too shy to perform in public but might be able to record a slot and have it played  on youtube. I would like to do it myself but don't have the technology. but you have got me so fired up now I'm going to put that right.

Great stuff Daviod, I fall into the 'too shy' category myself  :D

Get yourself sorted with a video camera (even a smartphone will do it) and book yourself in.

I can't wait to get started  :)