Perhaps You Were The Diamond

• 20 Replies

Kafla

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 03:37:11 PM »
simple arrangement that works really well - I know others will disagree but I find the piano a much sadder , maudlin instrument than guitar

Some lines are a little 'cheesy' - I dont meant this in a bad way but sometimes a few little gems / metaphors scattered in amongst the norm are all it takes to life a song from good to great

This is really well written and conveys your feelings really well

Well done mate ;D

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »
Good piano and chords, I liked it when acoustic comes in.
Builds nicely, liked the harmonies and the electric guitars towards the end.
Lyrics sound cool too.
 :)  :)
Neil  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:11:45 PM by Neil C »
songwriter of no repute..

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »
Hello Yodasdad,

The beginning works so well, a gentle piano introduction followed by a beautiful first verse of piano/ vocal.  It's a well considered arrangement and the gradual build continues with the addition of guitar to excellent though subtle effect. I notice the hihats come in at approximately 1:29.  I'd consider bringing the drums in at this point to greater effect (make them a little more full) or perhaps add extra instrumentation to increase the natural flow of the song to hold the listeners interest which you have so far captured well.  This is a very good production, quite understated at times and I feel that there is scope to take the many attractive instrumental parts and make them more prominent n the mix.  The vocal is nice a clear. However, I can't help notice the elongated notes that frequently occur at the beginning of each new section. Might I suggest that you perhaps vary this a little so that when you introduce the longer notes, they have a greater greater impact.  I love the guitar riff at around 3:15 and can't stress how much impact this has for the production.  I also note what I think is a subtle organ (I could be mistake as I'm listening through tiny earbud headphones). 

The stand out lyric can be heard in the finla two liines as the Horus reaches it's conclusion "
The stars used to shine so bright
A thousand million droplets would illuminate my sky
But now they don't seem to shine
Perhaps you were the diamond that reflected all their light."

I listened several times to enable a fairly comprehensive critique.  With that in mind, I was able to gain a greater appreciation of this song and clearly understand the beauty of this composition. 

A beautiful composition about love lost. It's a heartfelt song and that comes across so clearly!

Well done!

Ecoute

• Busker
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »
The lyrics are lovely.  :)

The piano, somehow, just doesn't sit right with me when listening. The piano playing feels too strong, it seems to take over the vocal rather than accompany it.  The repetitive playing could be avoided by making room for something else, (moving in shortly after the intro or at 1:29 in audio), such as strings or string-plucking.  That's just my thought and may seem a no no to the writer, and after all, it is your creation!  I'd keep the male voice, but agree with not holding down notes.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks again to those of you who are taking the time to listen and leave considered comments.

They are hugely valuable and appreciated

They will all go into my songwriting melting pot and will no doubt inform future compositions.

*DISCLAIMER*

Whilst your comments are valuable, If questioned about this forum after recieving my Ivor Novello award, I shall deny all knowledge of it and claim all ideas as my own.  ;D

Yodasdad

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 03:43:20 PM »
Very nice piano playing, builds well,vocals good too. Some nice chords changes too,I liked it!

Cheers

Jamie