I've noticed....

• 37 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »
I've been in or around this forum for a few years now (OK, been quiet recently, long story) and it seems to be that every 6 months or so the new members notice that there is a perceived "more take than give situation".  :-\
This is commented upon.
This develops into some short and minor flaming, some toys are thrown out of the pram and then everything gets back to normal........ until there is another "critical mass" of new members.  ::)

......AND YET THE FORUM GOES ON.  ;D  We've just had a couple of well supported "competitions" and some great collaborations. It seems rather unproductive to get upset over something that can be easily ignored and lose all the benefits and opportunities this forum gives you.

My suggestion is just let it go.  ;)

Beware, I will be back soon..... 8)

I would argue that it's people like me raising the problem and then it being debated is why the forum continues to be successful not by us all accepting the selfish, non-constructive behavior of others without protest. Democratic debate and the airing of opinions is how a healthy forum thrives. Burying crap under the carpet and pretending it's not there is not the answer.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 10:33:39 PM »
Gosh...seems like we have something between 1-3 months before another of these type of threads get started. Yawn.

This will always happen. These kind of posters don't often stay in the community long as they find they dont get feedback on their songs. Which is good.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 09:31:08 AM »

Interesting observation Ram.......I would say it's more like 1-6 months though ;D ;D.  I wonder if it's some sort of instinctive act of collective online cleansing.  Do you think we might have a Forum subconscious......could be some sort of Forum PMT ;D ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »
There is like the simplest solution here:

*Just don't comment if you don't think that person has participated enough in the forum*

You can get all ratio-y and 'you must post x before you can start a topic' but that'll just drive people away- I know this because I came across a lot of forums before this one where those rules did apply and I just left before I'd even finished signing up.

I never read the rules before I first posted, I didn't even know we had rules until like last month, and I turned out fine ;D

I think it's just comment sense, no one's forcing you to comment on anyone's work, so if you don't want to comment then just don't!? If people really want to join our amazing family and become forum regulars they will realise it takes forum dedication :D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »
I think it's just comment sense, ...

Love it. You've coined a phrase ... 'Comment sense'

Sorry, ... carry on chaps ;)
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »
I think it's just comment sense, ...

Love it. You've coined a phrase ... 'Comment sense'

Sorry, ... carry on chaps ;)
Didn't even realise I did that! ...maybe I didn't turn out as fine as I thought... :-[
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

basshead

• Busker
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 06:33:30 PM »
what Rhysian said.......will try to get more time in future  :)
if u always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »
I would argue that it's people like me raising the problem and then it being debated is why the forum continues to be successful not by us all accepting the selfish, non-constructive behavior of others without protest. Democratic debate and the airing of opinions is how a healthy forum thrives. Burying crap under the carpet and pretending it's not there is not the answer.
That is a perfectly valid point dude.
However, this forum is for songwriting. If I wanted to join a ethical debating society that's what I would have done. Now I'm back on a thread doing exactly that!   ::) ;D Additionally, see Ramshackles and Bins comments. Those of us that have been here a while just let it go.
And if that isn't enough try this cartoon, chuckle and relax.
http://xkcd.com/386/

:)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:49:39 AM by mihkay »
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)