konalavadome

I've noticed....

• 37 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »
That a lot of new people are posting songs on the finished section and expecting feedback after little or no effort to review anyone else first. I will not review this stuff until they've put an effort in first. (I'm a grumpy old man).  >:(

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »
I think you should always comment on someone's first song/lyrics just to make them feel welcome and then that will show them the kind of comments they should be posting on other people's work. At first, they may not be commenting because they've got a lack of confidence, I mean we all know each other so well, we know what to expect from each other, we know each others strengths and weaknesses, therefore we know what kind of comments/criticism to give whereas they may have never been part of a forum before, to experience that.
I do understand that it's annoying so I'd say if people do it constantly, just stop commenting...they're bound to take the hint ;D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 05:54:04 PM »
yes I've noticed the same thing, there seems to be a lot more people on the forum
but not wanting to comment, it's understandable if their working on something
and are off site for a little while, but when you notice the views to comments it is poor,
well I've had a nag,  tony...

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:35:37 PM »
yeah, 'drive-by-posters' I'm grumpy about 'em but only because the rules are simple, on a sticky and easy to read ... but it is possible they're just so excited to find this great forum ;)
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:02:15 PM »
Personally .. I feel that I'm to Jess's side on this ..

what makes this forum great is the friendliness .. and  easy to go atmosphere .. I know cause  I've been to other forums .. infect .. I invite as much as I can to this wonderful forum .. because talents needs nice friendly atmosphere .. :D :D :D

It's OK to expect the same effort from every body in a forum .. but I think most people will dive in once they feel that it's fun to get involved .. they do not get this in thiere other forums ..

On this I think .. patience is the wisest way ..

I'm too a grumpy old man .. but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt ..

Cheers   

Rhysian

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
I fear I may be partly guilty of this. I do try to review people's songs but don't always have much time. Also if I am late to a song and there are already multiple comments giving similar opinions to mine then I don't see the point of posting just for the sake of it if I'm not giving any new info.  Will try harder to keep up once the kids are back in school :-)

Rhysian x

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »
My dear Rhysian ..

I don't expact every time a comments which point to something in the song I post .. listening and enjoying the song is as much importent as the critique ..

plus you need to increase you posting counter to be able to join the competitions .. so please do not see how many comments are there enjoy the music .. and say so .. that will be fine ..  :D :D :D :D

Cheers ..

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 01:20:18 PM »
I'm sympathetic to your view montydog, but..... Im new to this forum and joined in the last few months,and i think initially there is a feeling of not quite knowing how/what to comment .Also it is incredibly time consuming to do justice to the number of songs posted and give them sufficient attention (that's another topic in its own right). As said by another commentator, if I don't have anything to add to comments already made I tend not to comment.I suspect there are many songs posted here that if we were able to do justice to them by listening properly (ie many times) then we would discover more good writing, but time is the issue I'm afraid. I still try to comment as often as possible ( and hopefully with constructive comments). ;D
Cheers
Jamie

Dutchbeat

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
it is very simple, if everybody would just come in once in a while and post a song of their own and don't comment on other people's work there would be no forum

it would dead within a week, even these people that only drop their own posts would not come by anymore because there is nothing to get for them out here

people should just be decent and if 5 people said they like a song it is of course still encouraging and nice for the songwriter to know that person number 6 likes the song too

in other words, a longstanding member like montydog is completely right IMO

i have spend most time on this forum i think (yes, i know i don't have  a life  :P :P) and i usually can tell after two or three posts what kind of new member we have  ;D ;D ;D, and if it is really bad i comfort myself with the thought that the worse ones are usually gone in a  few weeks because they don't really care at all about interacting with the others

the worst onces, are the once that come back every few months to drop a song and be active one week (only reading the comments on their own song) and go again. Because these onces do keep coming back.....we had some extremely terrible examples in the past to the point that is was thinking what kind pof people are this, how do they get by in real life??

sorry, just wanted to get that of my chest  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »
WoW DB ..

I hope you don't think of me like that .. I do disappear sometime .. mostly song writing or working out something in a song ..

I do admit .. I don't read all the posts .. I tend to pickup the ones less reviewed .. most of them turn great ..

Cheers man ..

Dutchbeat

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
hi saeed, i don't read all posts, almost impossible, no i was not referring to you in this respect, i was referring to people who take no notice of others at all, like in: never or hardly ever, and also take no notice or part in forum interactions and collaborations and discussions at all

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:50:33 PM by Dutchbeat »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »
WoW DB ..
I hope you don't think of me like that .. I do disappear sometime .. mostly song writing or working out something in a song ..
I do admit .. I don't read all the posts .. I tend to pickup the ones less reviewed .. most of them turn great ..
Cheers man ..
Saeed, I can assure you you never disappear!!
 :) :)
Neil
Even if you did I'd still have your "I Got a Call" next up on Soundcloud anyway ;D ;D 
songwriter of no repute..

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 05:45:47 PM »
WoW DB ..
Cheers man ..
Saeed, I can assure you you never disappear!!
 :) :)
Neil
Even if you did I'd still have your "I Got a Call" next up on Soundcloud anyway ;D ;D 

Yes hee hee - how do you do that saeed!!! I'm impressed!

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »
So it's you Neil ..

Who pushed the song to reach more then 1000 play .. and you too flossie ..  ;D ;D

the best way don't leave the player to go to the related part .. stop the song you are hearing immediately .. that way you will not hear my song .. or clear the related section .. how I don't really know you could alway ask sound cloud guys .. and tell us .. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
As some one new to the forum I can understand people getting upset with selfish posters but you should take it as a sign of your success. If the forum wasn't active with lots of help and contributions people wouldn't want to post their songs.

Wouldn't a few polite please read the rules be better in the long run. Alternatively if we have regular returners that the established members are aware of, a polite, do you intend to review any other songs would help. That way I'll know that that person is only on the board for themselves and act accordingly.

In the first flush of excitement not everybody reads the rules. Also if you get some encouraging feedback your first reaction will be to write another song. In these circumstances a gentle reminder may be enough to get both more songwriters and those who comment on other people's songs.

As Saeed says this is a friendly board, we shouldn't let a few selfish people stop us being friendly and helpful.

These are just my personal views based on my experience on the forum.

diadem