konalavadome

Hello From a New Songwriter!

• 24 Replies

John Staples

• Busker
    • John Staples Music
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
Hi everyone!

I am in the Chicago area, previously from the San Francisco Bay area and originally from western Kentucky! I love John Prine and Led Zeppelin, Gillian Welch and Pink Floyd, New Grass Revival and Yes, Neil Young and Jethro Tull, Dolly and Taylor and Gaga and Amy and Madonna and Tammy, Willie and Waylon and Hank and Johnny and Merle and George, Elvis and Pearl Jam, the Jackson 5 and Michael, Prince and Jimi, the early Beatles and the later Beatles! There is very little music I don't like!

I have been writing songs for just a little over a year and I am enjoying it immensely! I have written about 45 complete songs and have a bunch of bits and pieces floating about in various states of completion.

I find I am mostly writing Americana/folk/country type songs using an acoustic guitar or banjo for accompaniment. But I also dabble in bigger productions using other instruments and the odd loop or backing track here and there! I have recently hooked up my electric guitar to the computer to see if I can maybe write a rock song! \:\)

I use Reaper on Windows for my DAW. I record mostly with a Zoom H4n handheld digital recorder using its multi-track mode so I can lay down several layers.

I am currently participating in my first 50/90 Songwriting Challenge (I have 14 songs done with about 6 weeks left) and earlier this year I participated in FAWM.

I entered a couple of songs in the UK Songwriting Contest this summer and got semi-finalist for each (one of them scored 8 of 10). I am thinking about joining Taxi or maybe one of the other pitching services to see if I can make anything happen with any of my songs.

But honestly, my bottom line is I really love my songs and if I never make a dime off them I will still be quite happy to keep writing!! Producing a finished CD is a bucket list item for me!

So, there you have it. I hope to participate here, listen to some music, discover some artists, learn and have fun!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:15:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum John. I see you have a varied music taste, looking forward to hearing your songs.

diadem

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
I love how I read your introduction in an American accent :)
Hopefully now I can return the favour, and you can read my reply in a British accent :)
Welcome to the forum :D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

John Staples

• Busker
    • John Staples Music
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
thanks so much for the welcome diadem!

John Staples

• Busker
    • John Staples Music
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
hey Jess, thanks for the welcome. I'll work on my British accent! :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »
John, welcome you sound pretty busy, look forward to reviewing and hearing your posting stuff here.
Its a friendly, talented and constructive bunch with a GSOH, and as with life the more you put in the more you get.
 :) :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
Hello John ..

welcome .. so you play banjo .. care to join with a track ..  ;D ;D ;D

the forum here you will love I'm sure about it .. let's hear what you got .. :D :D :D

Cheers ..

Dutchbeat

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 06:29:33 PM »
welcome! clearly you love songwriting and music!

John Staples

• Busker
    • John Staples Music
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:31:07 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Neil C! I appreciate it!

John Staples

• Busker
    • John Staples Music
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 06:32:17 AM »
Hello Saeed! And thanks for the welcome and the invitation to play banjo! I could see that happening!

John Staples

• Busker
    • John Staples Music
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 06:33:23 AM »
Dutchbeat, thank you for welcoming me to the forum!

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
Hello John ..

So in which way you think you can do the banjo collaboration ??

and I would love to have a short solo on one of my songs .. always love the instrument's sound .. but playing it is beyond me ..  ;D ;D ;D

thanks man ..

Cheers ..

John Staples

• Busker
    • John Staples Music
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
Hi Saeed!

I'm not sure if I am accomplished enough yet to do a banjo solo! :) Mostly I have used it for accompaniment. If you want to get an idea of my banjo style here are some songs I wrote recently for 50/90 that each feature my banjo playing,

http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/song/2105
http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/song/378
http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/song/898

I have listened to one of your songs and will listen to more as time allows so I can get an idea of how we might collaborate! Thanks for keeping me in mind!

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »
Hello ..

That is you singing .. man great voice .. great singing .. nice song .. and the banjo playing is what have in mind like the intro you played in the first song Mountain Girl (for Rose) .. I call it a solo .. sort of solo ..

Nice songs ..  my son heard you 2nd song and shouted  Hy Ha .. he 5 years old .. ;D ;D ;D

Cheers ..

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
Hi John Welcome  &  make yourself comfortable & join in the productive spirit of everyone on ere :)