Keeping what we thought we'd thrown away

• 27 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 06:37:37 PM »
Hi Saeed and thanks for the nice comments. Good question about old songs. I guess I wanted to start with things I was no longer that close to! The last year or so I've been focusing on performing (in a new duo) and so haven't had time for more recording. I've also written less in the last year or so than the previous four. But yes, next time I'll go with something new.

First of all, I loved the song.  IN particular, I loved the guitar work. 

Secondly, I'm always reluctant to post a brand new song.  It's often two months after I write a song before I can tell if it's any good at all.  They all sound brilliant to me when I'm writing them.  Too invested in the writing to be objective.   
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »
Thanks and yes that's a good point. I've only written a couple of things this year. The first took ages and I had the music but not the words. Finally finished it thinking it was great. Then quickly wrote something else; totally different. That was May. Now, I know I'll never play the first song live because it's good as far as it goes but doesn't really do anything interesting. The other song still sound great.

Thanks again.

[/quote]

First of all, I loved the song.  IN particular, I loved the guitar work. 

Secondly, I'm always reluctant to post a brand new song.  It's often two months after I write a song before I can tell if it's any good at all.  They all sound brilliant to me when I'm writing them.  Too invested in the writing to be objective.   
[/quote]

SteveA

• Busker
    • Steve Altonian web-site
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »
Adam

I really like this.....nice Acoustic work.....

Not sure why you would can this....Those harmonies can be done by lotsa people...

The song is there...The BGV's by any 1 individual will not make or break this tune....

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 08:09:58 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement SteveA. I'll try it out at practice tonight. I'm playing in a duo with two guitars, which is challenging because we occupy much of the same space. So it might be one I keep for solo gigs.

Thanks again.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 11:23:42 PM »
This is lovely. Well crafted, well played and nice delivery. Nice live feel to the recording. I would know exactly what I was booking as a venue if I were booking you! Right up my folky alley!
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 06:31:08 PM »
Thanks James

ashookzappa

• Busker
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »
lovely work .  takes me back to the early beatles in the best  sense of the word.
Well done

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 11:18:53 PM »
I really enjoyed this

The little guitar figures were lovely

I was not so keen on the amount of harmonies - this is a personal thing as I much prefer vocal harmonies to just emphasise key lines, phrases or words - rather than lasting for whole sections

I thought the bass guitar was particularly "warm" in a really good way and provided the perfect foundation for the track

Great stuff and I do not think you would have much trouble making this work live within a duo

Good luck
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 10:15:23 PM »
Thanks Boydie. Not working with the bass player now so will have to do it solo. I think you are right about the harmony. Would have worked best with a full band. I do love Rob's bass playing. Valve pre amp and flat wound  strings. Lovely!

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 03:15:14 AM »
super song, super singing and super playing.

There were some lovely guitar parts in there very well done sir.

Allan.

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
Thanks Allan  :D

mellowman

• Busker
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
Hi Adam,

straight from the start we`ve been taken away by the folky guitars and what followed is a great song !

Thank you for sharing !  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Roni + Martin 

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
Thanks both, I look forward to hearing your songs too. Adam