Best Sustain guitar stump box

• 18 Replies

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:56:01 AM »
Hello there ..

Any body knows .. which is the best guitar sustain stump box is good for long sustained note ??

thanks guys ..

Cheers

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
you generally get more sustain by adjusting the threhsold and release times on a compressor....
Compressor stompboxes abound, varying in price from under £50 to a few hundred. Generally, you get what you pay for. For the cheaper units, you will probably find it very hard to get much sustain without the horrible artefacts associated with over compression.

Strymon do very good pedals, and have an opto-comp they are in the expensive range (~ £200)
The Keeley 4-knob compressor is in a similar price range, but allows direct control over sustain...
I've heard good things about the Dyna-comp which is a bit cheaper.

As far as a dedicated sustain pedal, EHX's 'Freeze' is the only one I've heard of...it's a different kind of thing, no idea of it's merits/pitfalls...

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:28:59 PM »
Hello Ramshackles ..

I have Dyna comp .. MXR .. and the Boss -CS3 .. but the sustain is not that long .. which you would say its good .. very medium type of length .. not beyond 2 or 3 bars type .. if you have like 8 Bars then that is great .. medium tempo ..  ;D ;D

Any setup tips for the knobs on these two to get longer sustain ???

Thanks man ..

Cheers ..

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »
If it's sustain for a guitar you probably need to think about another guitar or pickup to get better sustain.

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »
Hello Alan ..

Could you please elaborate more .. what kind .. the guitar or the pickup ??

Thank you ..

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
If you're using a strat, sustain is not going to happen as easily as a Les Paul for example. Les Paul's have humbucker pickups which give better sustain and gain whereas Strats have single coil pickups which aren't as good at giving sustain. The body density/wood also makes a huge difference. If you're after more sustain from an acoustic, that's a whole different subject.

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »
There are many factors to getting good sustain such as pickups, wood, fx etc.... But if you want 'great' sustain the best advice I can give you is to practice your technique. If it's a stomp box you're looking for then your Dyna Comp is as good as any out there Saeed. If it's good enough for David Gilmour then who am I to argue. A good tube amp, a nice ash bodied guitar with a rosewood neck, and your Dyna Comp should give you all the sustain you will ever need. If you're not getting it then I would suggest that your pickups need looked at or you need to work on your technique. I know you're into Santana, so you should look at a good set of Humbuckers (Check out Seymour Duncan's web site), or a set of active EMG's.
Hope this helps

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:33:03 PM »
Thank you Alan .. and thank you Mark ..

Some of the information I was not aware of .. the Humbucker picks I thought they only have a different sound .. but sustain is new to me .. I don't use Amplifier in my recording .. I use the zoom R8 for all my work fr almost 2 years now .. and the sustain effect in the R8 is great but the notes dies fast ..

and Mark it's not that I need the sustain .. to sound like Santana .. but I need some time to use the long notes for riffs .. as a change ..

Thank you guys for the good information ..

Cheers ..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 08:01:04 AM »
A ha!

You mentioned that you are not using an amp when you play/record

Depending on the sound in your head you are chasing I suspect you are wanting to achieve the style of sustain that you get from a cranked amp working with the guitar strings, body etc. (before the feedback kicks in)

I am not sure you will get where you want with a stomp box without the "magical" interaction between guitar and amp

Modellers (including software amp sims) are getting better all the time and you may get more out of one of these that tries to replicate a guitar amp response

Amplitube and Guitar Rig are probably worth checking out if you have a PC to use

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 10:39:57 AM »
Hello Boydie ..

I do have Guitar Reg copy .. I got it with Alesis Guitar Link Plus USB Cable I bought many months a go .. never really used it ..

If you've used it .. could you tell how to integrate it in the chain ?? .. and any other advice on using it ..  :D :D :D

Thank you ..

Cheers ..

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
OK guys I have a small Amp .. the practice type .. will it work ??

Cheers ..

NicBDA

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 03:59:22 PM »
Also your R8 might have a noise gate, turn that down/off as any notes that fall below the treshold will be cut short. Depending on the sound you are after, Overdrive and distortion can add some sustain too (the tend to compress and boost gain).

I've also heard of a trick using a delay pedal set to a very short delay and some other voodoo that gives an 'infinite sustain' but cannot for the life of me find it...

Humbuckers and wood types do help greatly. My guitar teacher uses an Ibanez Jem, and I have a Les Paul, he played my guitar and was blown away by the sustain it has. Other bits of the guitar affect sustain as well. A fixed bridge vs a trem (vibrato/whammy) bridge will generally have more sustain as there is more vibration transfer.

Also, you could look at an E-Bow. You just hold it over the strings and the note will sustain as long as you hold it there...or until the battery dies...

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
Hello NicBDA ..

Man you've mentioned a machine I've seen 30 years ago hooked to a bass has a belt spins around the strings when you press any where on the fret bored .. to get the sustain notes .. my be this is done electronically ..  ;D ;D ;D

By the way I've tried the Guitar Rag .. through USB cable hooked to my guitar .. It EATS the CPU .. and the sound is in Morris code .. and the delay between playing and the sound from my PC is not nice at all .. that's why I'm not a fun of software based effects .. too much strain on the computer ..

Thanks guys ..

Cheers ..

NicBDA

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »
Hello NicBDA ..

Man you've mentioned a machine I've seen 30 years ago hooked to a bass has a belt spins around the strings when you press any where on the fret bored .. to get the sustain notes .. my be this is done electronically ..  ;D ;D ;D

Yup now is all done though magnetic magic, The Modern Ebow