BBC Songwriter's circle

• 4 Replies

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »

For those in the UK, the BBC have a series of performances from a range of songwriters, well hopefully it is a series anyway. Between songs, the artists chat about their songs etc. Finally some devent music TV from the BBC!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=songwriter's%20circle

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »
Hi hofnerite,

I watched the episode that Fran Healey performed. I'd just picked my mam up for a visit, who is 73 years old.  She's suffering badly with Alzheimers but loves her music. She thought that Fran was exceptionally good. I've always thought that aspects of his writing were blessed with genius. I was hoping that he'd play 'Flowers In The Garden' but unfortunately he didn't. I was explaining the lyrics of this song to my mam, how it's about having children And watching them grow to maturity., 'There's still time to plant new seeds and watch them grow, so there'll be flowers in the window when we go.' Though my mam wasn't aware, I was quite choked as I talked and thought about these lyrics. Having watched her battle against her illness, coupled with the immense respect that i have for her, made Fran's lyrics so poignant.  Perhaps this article should be in the 'what makes a good song' thread.  When a song can touch you so deeply, that's the mark of great writing!

I'm not sure if you saw the episode of songwriter's circle with Roddy Frame and Neil Finn, several years ago. Wow, that was something quite special!
Thanks for the details of this great show.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:15:47 PM by pablo »

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:32:44 PM »
Hi hofnerite,

I watched the episode that Fran Healey performed. I'd just picked my mam up for a visit, who is 73 years old.  She's suffering badly with Alzheimers but loves her music. She thought that Fran was exceptionally good. I've always thought that aspects of his writing were blessed with genius. I was hoping that he'd play 'Flowers In The Garden' but unfortunately he didn't. I was explaining the lyrics of this song to my mam, how it's about having children And watching them grow to maturity., 'There's still time to plant new seeds and watch them grow, so there'll be flowers in the window when we go.' Though my mam wasn't aware, I was quite choked as I talked and thought about these lyrics. Having watched her battle against her illness, coupled with the immense respect that i have for her, made Fran's lyrics so poignant.  Perhaps this article should be in the 'what makes a good song' thread.  When a song can touch you so deeply, that's the mark of great writing!

I'm not sure if you saw the episode of songwriter's circle with Roddy Frame and Neil Finn, several years ago. Wow, that was something quite special!
I didn't see that episode but Fran was great wasn't he! Apparantly Paul McCartney wrote the chorus to Flowers in the Window because Fran couldn't think of anything to fit the verse. great song though.

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Hi hofnerite,

I didn't see that episode but Fran was great wasn't he! Apparantly Paul McCartney wrote the chorus to Flowers in the Window because Fran couldn't think of anything to fit the verse. great song though.
PS, I feel for you man. My granadad had Alzheimers and I know exactly what it's like and how it affects the family. If you want to talk about it, let me know.

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
Thanks Hofnerite,

I watched my Grandma suffer the same illness. My mam nursed her right up 'til the end. It's seems therefore cruel that she should suffer the same illness. Still, my Mam has been so positive throughout her life and hers is one that has been so well lived.  A great role model!

I thought that Fran was quite amazing on songwriter's circle. I enjoyed his funny banter too re the song 'sing' or was it 'swing'.

Cheers,

Paul