Percentage Splits with Band

• 9 Replies

charliebartlett.real

• Busker
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:44:52 AM »
I sing and write songs for a band. It's very difficult to find resources providing recommendations for these things, but in your guys' opinions, should the songwriter of a band earn a higher profit percentage than other members of the band?
Note: I am also the lead vocalist and play piano in the band.

Thanks so much. Any help would be appreciated.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »
Depends how friendly you are with them ;)

If you are the composer you should own the songs i suppose and share the profits with your band evenly..ie performing and sales....after all they are helping `you` to get heard..

Look at what happened with the Smiths....Morrisey tried it on and failed...

A happy band is a successfull l band.

charliebartlett.real

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
Depends how friendly you are with them ;)

If you are the composer you should own the songs i suppose and share the profits with your band evenly..ie performing and sales....after all they are helping `you` to get heard..

Look at what happened with the Smiths....Morrisey tried it on and failed...

A happy band is a successfull l band.

Thanks so much, songsthatcry! Appreciate the response.
I guess it's hard to not be "greedy" when I think of the separate factors like that: bands pay songwriters for songs, producers get cuts for writing parts, more valuable sporting players get higher wages, etc.
I am obviously friends with the guys, but I just feel like none of them are bringing anything necessarily valuable to the table that I couldn't do myself. It's really difficult to want to split equally when I practically see myself as the band - as arrogant as that obviously sounds.

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »
As a songwriter you receive the songwriter's royalties anyway (via your PRO or your publisher).

As musicians you should get equal shares.

That's how decent guys do things ;-)
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »
if there are one or two people in the band who are effectively writing everything then they should get all (or the lions share) of any songwriting revenues.

However I'm firmly of the belief that for most bands everything else should be split equally (i.e. mechanical royalties, any cash from gigs etc.).

Having said that its my experience that until you've really cracked it - it seem like all the cash is being paid out (recording costs, CD's pluggers etc. etc) as opposed to coming in! Well done if you are seeing a profit!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:29:35 AM »
I think there are 2 things getting mixed up in this discussion...

Song ownership/Royalties: if you have written the songs then you own the copyright. In the event that you earn royalties from the songs, or they are "sold" to other artists, you would be entitled to the royalty payments as the "songwriter"

The band: if you feel that your contribution to the band deserves a bigger cut of gig money etc. then that is completely down to you - all I would suggest is that you are completely up front about it with the others

Eg - let them know that it is YOUR band and be clear about the percentage splits, why you feel you should earn more and that you will be maintaining complete control of the band

If you go this route I would suggest having a number of "deps" (substitutes) lined up as I could see you getting through quite a few band members using this approach

I personally agree with the others regarding band splits - if you are all contributing to the gig then it should be equal splits - the band harmony and longevity will far outweigh a few extra quid in the short term!!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 06:30:49 AM »
Boydie's comments are 'on the money'. I can add a a little by saying that I've had experience in a band where a similar discussion came up about out lay of capital (eg on the PA system') should be considered in how the earnings are divided. It is logical that the the person or persons laying out should get a share reflecting their expenditure, but in the end it caused more friction than it was worth,so the above comments about even money for performing are correct. The next thing you could say is that bass players only play single notes so should get less money :P  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Jamie

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 06:50:45 AM »
I would say that the writer of the songs is entitled to zero extra payments.

Why?? I hear you asking......

Well it's like this. Anyone can play or record, for that many any song they want. I think the cost on it is something nominal $1 , don't quote me I could be wrong.  Where the extra revenue stream comes In is with the royalty payments. So if you want to make sure you are getting your fair share of 'extra' money it is a simple matter of ensuring your songs a registered with a pro and ensuring that the establishments you play at are submitting the appropriate play lists etc with the pro.

Your money will then come thru.

What you really really want, want you really really want is some great picking up one of your songs and recording it and turning it into a hit.  But don't expect the money to come from the band, oh no, it will come via the pro who will be collecting the various royalties streams on your behalf.

If I am wrong in anything I have said its cause I deal mostly in half truths and half make believe.

Allan.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »
In a band where everyone is equal the best solution to buying "capital items" in my experience is to make sure that there is an equal share

Either someone buys it up front and is paid back through a higher split from gigs

OR

You split the money an extra way (eg f there are 3 of you split the money 4 ways) and use this extra split as a "band Kitt"

We have been able to buy and run a van (including insurance, mot, fuel etc.) by treating it as the fourth member of the band - although it does tend to end up buying us all a kebab after the gig  ;)

The only issue you are left with then is what happens if someone leaves so I would suggest getting that agreed upront
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Gallowglass

• Solo Gig
  • Dime Store Saint
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 05:42:52 PM »
I'd say it varies to be honest. To me it depends wholly on what people like about a band: if it's the lyrics that carry it, i.e. Gaslight, then, yes, the songwriter should receive the lion's share (especially if the songwriter also writes much of the music). But if it's the guitars that carry it, i.e. Versailles or DragonForce, then the money should go to the guitarists. In your case I think you should purely because so much of the band is you. Morally, that is.

Practically, it's a bit awkward to work around, so until the money involved is big bucks I'd recommend asking for a token amount more than the others. This way, there's a precedent set and you can always make a case to increase it if you find their efforts lacking.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:48:04 PM by Gallowglass »
Band recommendation of the week: Fit For Rivals? False. Renee Phoenix has no rivals.

'She can still hear the Rebel Yell just as loud as it was in 1983' - Thrash Unreal, Against Me!