2, 3 heads are better than 1!

• 5 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:34:56 PM »
Ok. It's that time again where I stick up and ad for collabs with singers, composers and producers and never get a reply but here it goes one last time :)

I'm looking to collab with someone or some others on the forum who are serious about making commercially viable songs to pitch to labels, publishers and major artists. My last songwriting partner has had to call it quits due to the burden of working away from home and not being able to get time to write, record, re-record etc.

I think I've progressed well as a writer the last month or so having gone outside my trashy Pop comfort zone. This has actually enable me to come back with renewed vigour and I find I'm now writing and re-writing in a more conversational, natural and commercial way (check out my latest post and judge for yourself!)

I reckon I can get lyrics sorted bar the odd tweak here or there but as someone with no vocal or musical or production skills I can't make songs. I'm looking someone to take on lyrics (some will have a poor vocal melody from me that you'll have to alter and develop others will simply be a blank canvass) and develop them in line with an agreed vision into commercially viable songs. I'm guessing we get lyrics tweaked and vocal melody tweaked and then lay down chords first. We can then see what we make of it before moving on to trying to get a 'full' production from these bare bones.

There are plenty of talented people on here. However I'm specifically looking for those that write/produce Pop and are serious about trying to get songs published or taken on by big artists.

In the slight chance anyone has been interested by this shameful piece of self promotion please drop me a PM and we can take it from there.

:)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »
I would love to help out, but we kind of do the same thing (write lyrics) :'( good luck on your advert :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »
So far Sing4me88 ..

There are many in this forum has the same goal and needs for your request ..

As songwriter.. musician .. producer .. for more then 30 years .. I see this ..

The problem is that .. the bulk of the burden is on the other guy .. not the lyrics writer .. scabbing few lines on a paper in on day .. may take one day to put it to music .. but to make it in to a song playing the chords .. getting the arrangement .. singing it .. tell me what the lyrics writer will do ..

as you said you'll be providing lyrics .. but the rest of the job is on the other guy .. I think that its not fair .. big labels or not .. serious or not ..

lyrics winters has to understand .. it's hard work to make words in to a singing lovely melody .. appreciated by the listeners .. I'm not saying all of them .. but there some need to understand that ..

I think your approach to this matter should be .. by listening to the work of our talented people here .. find something you like .. approach him direct .. that will help too ..

Good luck any way ..

Cheers ..

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »
Hi Saeed,
             thanks for your POV on this. I have contacted a few on the forum who's style I like and feel it is similar to the type of 'songs' I'm trying to write and have managed to get the ball rolling on a few collabs as a result. Makes sense to actively go after those that fit he bill rather than wait for the off chance that  they PM me!

Can't say agree with your summary that lyrics are scribbling a few words on a page. Lyrics too take time and development from a concept to a commercially viable piece.  Like music the lyrics can't be forced or they won't work!

That said I do admit that the lyricist certainly has an EASIER (not easy) task. That's why I'm looking collabs with people on the same wave length. I guess I'm looking a 'stages' approach ie get lyrics nailed down, lay some chords and tweak melody and go for full production. I know people have work commitments and many do this as a hobby so time turnover is not an issue. It's not a matter of me mailing someone lyrics and expecting a song 2 days later. I never have and never will collab in this way. I try to offer some constructive advice and feedback throughout the process but with no musical or production skills my input after lyrics is drastically limited. Might seem unfair but that's the reality. I guess that what collabs are for teaming up with others who can do what one cannot do oneself ;)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:44:48 AM »
I don't agree with Saeed in this case. For me getting lyrics i can use is very valuable and a very important part of the music, to get a song finished. It doesn't matter how much times writing lyrics versus recording and making music costs. I make and record music because i like it, it relaxes me to do that, so i would spend that time anyway. A lyricist giving his or her ideas to me makes that i sort of can really finish the music. Also, many records in the past have been very dependend on the lyrical hook...i mean they wouldn't have been a hit without it. Probably the lyrics writer came up with these hooks  / lines in an instant and it costs little time to "scribble" them down, but it is not the time that costed but is the idea and intellectual content and the potential impact the words can have that makes the lyrics valuable

apart from that, i had collabs with other forumites, a longer one with Liam in the past, where the lyrics were guiding me, were in fact initiating the song. I mean in a case like that i sit down in front of the piano with only the sheets of lyrics in front of me and the lyrics are sort of guiding me in finding chords and singing melody. More recently, i have worked with lyrics from Singforme88 (say it to my face) and i am currently working on a sort of video and a more final mix for that, and i am currently working with a set of lyrics from Jess. I respect your opinion Saeed, and i can see your point to a certain extent, but also felt a need to express how valuable the input of these lyricists are for me. This forum solved my endless problem of being without lyrics  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 12:06:48 AM »
i am currently working with a set of lyrics from Jess. I respect your opinion Saeed, and i can see your point to a certain extent, but also felt a need to express how valuable the input of these lyricists are for me. This forum solved my endless problem of being without lyrics  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yay go me ;D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle