anyone record solely on their ipad...

• 21 Replies

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »
alrite!!

does anyone record on their ipads - ok, all i have at the minute to record is me ipad and i use garageband - i've recently bought one of those imic's to help get a better recording!

but i'm thinking on getting a little keyboard to plug into it to be able to hopefully get bass, piano etc and maybes that will help get some beats down instead of using the manual press the screen i can use the keyboard.

anyway just wondered if anyone has any tips, recommendations, anything as to what i can get to help produce some decent recordings - i want to do everything on the ipad tho rather than transfer files from the ipad to a laptop an that i dont want to go that far hi tech so only stuff that will help for ipad recording but yeah if anyone has got a nice little set up on their ipads it would be cool to hear what you have set up!

cheers buds!!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:55:39 PM »
Hi MoSP,

I was told in an Apple-store that the ipad garageband can't do everything that garageband on a mac can do.  I haven't researched it yet to see what these limitations are, but there apparently are some and that's holding up my ipad mini purchase (along with finding the dosh  ;D )

GTB
GTB

NicBDA

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 01:06:25 PM »
The iPad garage band is pretty good, but is a bit more of a sketchpad than a full DAW. You can get pretty decent recordings on it, but I think you are limited to 8 tracks, and some of the menus aren't quite as intuitive as the desktop version. Also if you use virtual instruments, as you add more and more of them, it takes up more space, and an iPad has a smaller harddrive than a desktop/laptop (unless you have a macbook air, in which case they are similar size HDs)

I've not used the full desktop version enough to find all the differences yet, though from my dabblings it is more in depth than the iOS version.

As for peripherals, I use an iRig (looking to get the iRig HD soon) as I mainly just record guitar (can't sing worth a damn), but it is a good little bit of kit, easy to set up, and I carry it in my guitar case so where ever I have my guitar I have a whole band in my pocket, and more virtual amps than real ones. I also often use Amplitube (again more guitar specific, but they are expanding bit by bit, though you have to buy the add ons).

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 10:34:33 PM »
You'll need a compatible audio interface.

You should also look up the 'Auria' DAW by PSPaudioware

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
I agree with GB for iPad being very limited, the full version on a mac can do a lot more. I do like the smart instruments on the iPad though which you don't get on a mac.

If you are sticking with iPad though, take a look at the Alesis io dock.

I have used a combination of both ipad and mac versions linked with an io dock.

Yodasdad

adamholden

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:57:37 AM »
Hi all. I have just started using an iPad and got garage band yesterday. Amazingly good for the size etc. I have a Yamaha work station but it is time consuming to set up and use. So I figure I will use the iPad for sketches and for demos of songs I've not yet recorded. Is it worth getting the irig or similar? I have a large condenser mic that works well. Also if I got the mic input one I could plug guitars in via baggs pre amp. Anyway very simple and appealing.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 11:46:44 PM »
Yep, I'm just using garageband for ipad. It's a little limited in instruments, but it is pretty amazing for how small, cheap and easy it is..... Having said that I've only done one finished song so far, and a few that I'm working on.... When i get to the point that i realise I've done half a dozen and they all sound the same, I'll prob invest in something else... Don't know what yet. So it's interesting to read this thread for suggestions.

Before ipad and gb, i had nothing - the main reason i bought an ipad was to be able to produce something resembling a finished song instead of just endless lyrics with no way of bringing them to life....

Sorry i can't offer any suggestions, but just to say I'm in the same boat!

I have however spent a lot of time perfecting exactly what angle and distance from the mouth to hold the ipad when singing to pick up enough voice without the weird lispy air sounds......! I've tried fashioning a pop filter from a kitchen sieve...... You need five arms to hold/do everything..... I've experimented with all sorts of DIY stands made from piles of tables chairs boxes books etc.... All fun and games.......

E50 Productions

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
Hi! I have just ordered irig pro plus a heap of apps - havent ordered the mixing apps yet etc - i will be happy if i can get it to record in the first place!! there is a bit on youtube how to opertae etc. Im looking forward to getting some songs down and to a fairly polished demo stage - if they are good enough i will work out what to do from there??

Cheers, Ant
Your skin may be dark but it's the black that runs in my veins.

E50 Productions

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 06:33:02 AM »
I have just got my irig pro - its good and need to order some more amps etc - but bottom end - grrrr it doesnt cut it for recording - so will try some of there other software amps and of that dont work will have to look at something else. Mid range and high its fine.

Ant...

Using Amplitube...
Your skin may be dark but it's the black that runs in my veins.

NicBDA

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »
In a similar vein, I just picked up an iRig HD. Much better than the initial one, has an inline gain control, and longer lead, so easier to set up/use. Also has plugs for lightning (iPhone5 and the like), USB and 30 pin (older iPhones etc.).

Sound quality seems better, more crisp. I run it through both Amplitube and Garage Band, since the new iOS Garage Band lets you use other apps for virtual amps. Not noticed an lack of bottom end for my needs, but I play a Les Paul though it, so that has a bit more bottom end anyway.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
Not noticed an lack of bottom end for my needs, but I play a Les Paul though it, so that has a bit more bottom end anyway.

NicBDA, you've just cost me a few hundred quid there!  I was using Ant's comment about lack of bottom end to justify not buying iPad + irig HD - now I discover it's ok for Les Pauls and they've made a retina version too - got to go, I feel a GAS attack coming on  ;D ;D ;D
GTB
GTB

NicBDA

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »
I'd say try it out if you can before you guy, you may find it still doesn't have enough bottom, as we may have different needs :)

I can try to put something down and send to you as a sample if you like. I should have a bit of free time over the weekend.

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
Hi NicBDA, sorry I missed your reply until now - house renovations have taken over my life at the moment  :(

I would be really interested if you were able to post something that demonstrated the 'lack of bottom end' you are talking about, if you are still willing.
GTB
GTB

NicBDA

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 08:47:57 PM »
I haven't managed to make the recording yet, but I have a few hours here at work after I clock out so may be able to get something then.

I'll just do a few basic chords clean and with some dirt. I can split/tap the coils too, so give a kind of single coil sound. I'll let you know the settings in amplitube too.

NicBDA

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
Ok recorded a file, but can't load it soundcloud because it all mashes up

I'll also add a caveat that I'm not a great recording artist, and mostly just mess around with the recording stuff for giggles and practice 😉

Uploaded to Soundcloud, NickBDA

Ok, it clicked that I could adjust the tracks to make it work....told you I wasn't great at this recording lark 😉

The chord is open E, (thought may as well go as low as possible without detuning) and is played in groups of 3, bridge pick-up, both pick-ups, neck pick-up, 2 strums per selector position.
Group 1 is clean tapped
Group 2 is clean bucker
Group 3 is lead tapped
Group 4 is lead bucker
Group 5 is lead bucker bridge pick up just playing an Em pentatonic so you can hear single notes

Hope that gives you an idea of what the bottom end is like with my set-up
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:50:32 AM by NicBDA »