BBC introducing.. anyone tried it?

• 39 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:39:06 PM »
I've just registered and uploaded three tracks, I just wondered if anyone here has had any airplay or success with it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/introducing/uploader/

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:03:33 PM »
i uploaded the hey ok studio version i did last year up, got an email to say they listened to it a couple of weeks after i uploaded but didnt hear back anymore!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:40:59 PM »
I will try it and see if any luck ..

thanks for bringing it up ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers..

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »
Basshead and I have had a similar experience. One song uploaded and one email to say it's been listened to .... then .... nothin'
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »
I've sent them two sets of three songs, first lot nothing, second lot (from "Stations Of The Sun") had an extra listen from somebody extra, but then heard nothing.

I think you have to be in a genre they recognise - they do seem rather narrow-minded. Worth trying, though.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 10:07:44 AM »
I've got lots of friends who've uploaded, with mixed results. One friend has had everything he's uploaded played, and a few friends have had nothing.

I don't think there's any genre prejudice. I've listened extensively to the songs that have been chosen and they all have one thing in common. They sound like commercial recordings. So the bands/ artists have either worked with a producer or had tracks professionally mixed in my opinion.

I've yet to upload any of mine, but I'll report back when I do.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

theLostLad

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »
I uploaded a track last week. They still haven't contacted me about a 1 hour special on 6Music or a Radio Times front cover. Perplexing!  ;D

darreldo

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 03:08:23 AM »
Ive uploaded and im still waiting for a reply but I know mates who have had thier music played.
It also says on the website that it could be a 6 month wait.
Maybe its a game of patience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p010j8y5/features/contact

terrysains

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 05:41:52 AM »
Thank you for putting this up, you never know, appreciated. Terry.

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »
I've had a lot of experience from this and IMO it's brilliant. I only have positive experiences of it and consider it an absolute 'no brainer'. My thoughts...

1) I agree with the earlier point that you need to have 'radio-ready' tracks. But ultimately that's the kind of exposure most bands/arists are looking for so IMO you should be uploading tracks you believe are of a quality that can be broadcast locally and hopefully nationally.

2) I can only speak about the artists in my region but the feedback I get from other bands I talk with is always excellent. However, as with anything you have to hope that the music you're producing is enjoyed and selected by the BBC team in your area. If they like it they'll play it (Sat evening from 8pm). If they think you're really interesting then they'll forward your tracks to the team in London for R1/R2 consideration.

3) I DO NOT believe there are constraints over genre. I've tracked a huge number of bands who have gone through this process and have regularly heard indie, r&b, reggae, pop, metal, folk, rap etc. etc.

We uploaded tracks and got local BBC radio coverage and then after a while National airplay on BBCR1 and a summer slot on the BBC Introducing stage at Glastonbury. It's therefore been great for generating industry interest (although as with anything it's just a piece in the overall jigsaw and is by no means an instant guarantee of success). note that this process was over several years, its not an overnight thing.

However, like I said before IMO it's a nobrainer.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:00:50 PM »
We posted a couple of tracks when we did our EP last year, got played on radio york, humberside and quickly on 6music, also got asked to do an acoustic slot on bbc humberside...
We haven't tried it since or anything. I think it's a fairly nice idea and good thing for new bands, but I don't think anyone has 'broke' solely through bbc introducing.

The hard slog of gigs and building a fanbase will always be the most proven route IMO..

These things can help though ;)

The songs do need to be of a broadcast quality (before the subjectivity of whether the people choosing what is played like the music or not). I.E carefully mixed (in terms of relative levels), no unpleasing noise&distortion (this can be slightly subjective), no clipping, acceptable overall volume, etc etc

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 03:37:03 PM »
Ramshackles, I think you and I have said just about exactly the same thing. Like we've both said, BBC Introducing alone isn't enough to break anyone (in the same way that just gigging is not enough).

However, the additional exposure you can get from BBC Introducing Locally and Nationally (with fans and the 'industry' as a whole) can be incredibly valuable.

A number of artists including Jake Bugg, Florence, Rizzle Kicks, Gabrielle Aplin etc. speak very highly of it (and have recently supported BBC I initiatives in return as a 'Thank you') - so its certainly worth a punt.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 09:59:02 PM »
Cheers for the reminder people! I meant to do this a few months back but slipped my mind.

And it is great to hear that people are having sucess with it. Everything helps when it comes to promotion!!

I have uploaded my three tracks and will keep y'all posted if I have any luck. I think we should keep this thread alive as an experiment, see what "bites" so to speak!

JNx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »
Read this and took a punt on sending them Psychedelic Jerusalem. First reply was the standard - "someone has listened to the track." Received a second email today saying they have passed it on to my local BBC Introducing programme - so who knows!

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »
Read this and took a punt on sending them Psychedelic Jerusalem. First reply was the standard - "someone has listened to the track." Received a second email today saying they have passed it on to my local BBC Introducing programme - so who knows!

I had that exact same second email today as well, 3 times, for each of the songs I submitted  :)

I guess I we don't try, we'll never know...