MRI - "Jade" w/ Ode to The Beatles' Revolution 9 intro

• 17 Replies

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« on: July 20, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »
http://youtu.be/HxgkiqjWbQA

Here's a sneak listen to JADE on youTube - kinda Radiohead meets Jane's Addiction meets Alice In Chains meets Zeppelin with a Revolution 9/Syd Barrett acid meltdown style leader/bumper - it's going to be on a three song MRI EP in the fall which will be available on iTunes.
we're not overly concerned with song sales since our aim is more at a licensing deal, so PM me if you want a free HD mp3 download link :)
people are going to pirate it anyway so might as well make it easier ;p

Jade's a rather robust opus. 0ver 110 tracks. A plethora of both subtle and dynamic guitar textures.  5 part harmony in verses each tracked one by one and doubled organically one by one for lush audioscape presence.  Chorus has much simpler box to contrast.  Some demonic harmonies i pulled off by singing falsetto into hot mic in the really heavy parts.

We're also really into NoiZe MusIc and the avant-garde / dada music movement spearheaded by such luminary groundbreaking composers like Luigi Russolo, bands like Art Of Noise, and tracks like John Lennon's/Yoko Ono's Revolution 9 off The Beatles White Album. George Matthews, in addition to being in MRI has a solo project SpedheD which captures the essence of Noize Music- and I worked with him to develop the 49 second "Revolution -9" intro-leader-bumper that will be on EP version ( and also on the YouTube link ). The intro is pretty out there ;p so you can fast forward if you wish lol - but it's a neat audio trip esp on headphones/earbuds- I'm playing Frere Jacques and Bach's Minuet in G major (transposed to C as is key of Jade) to make it even more audio-sumptuous. The audio quality on youTube page is pretty good for youTube but as I said feel free to PM me if you want a free mp3 for your iPod/music library

all guitars tunes to open C [CGCGCE] - Dan's 5 string bass too to get that LOW C! ;p He does a neat little Paul McCartney-ish bass solo when the Jimmy Page-y acoustic guitars ring out right before the heavy parts - Alan is total Bonzo on drums!! my guitar solo is one of those 'just play the verse melody' ones lol - thought it fitted the headspace of track. some Eastern scalics in there too in some of the guitar lines

enjoy & feel free to comment on mix or lyrics or anything :)

- Daren

JADE
© 2013 Music & Lyrics by Daren Thomas Turner / MRI
twitter @MRIband  http://www.twitter.com/MRIband

Behold a dawning sun that withers from a falling sky
Beyond the universe and buried under sands of time
A fleeting glimpse of others born into a world I see as nothing more than early graves and lack of honesty...

Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...

There are things in me that you will never understand
Across a dark abyss without someone to hold my hand
A river Styx is just the first of many deeper streams that flow beneath my soulless body draining out of me...

Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...

All the things you hate and fear
Crawl beneath your skin, my dear

Watch the clock laugh at the minute and the second hand
Every hour wounds: the last will kill you where you stand.
Hell is just an after-thought up in a Dante's view
Behind the 7th level lies the things (you thought) you'd never do...

Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...

Crawl beneath your skin, my dear...

MRI is:
ALAN CRUZ: drums
DANARCHY: bass
GEORGE MATTHEWS: percussions, cymbals, electric and acoustic toms, SpedheD* Noize Tracks, samples, sequencing, affected snares/kicks, drums
DAREN THOMAS TURNER: electric and acoustic guitars, vocals, keyboards, piano, MIDI sequencing 

*SpedheD appears courtesy of George Matthews/SpedHeD: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/spedhed

Engineered and Produced by Daren Thomas Turner
SpedHeD "Revolution -9" Engineered and Produced by George Matthews and DTT

Sincere Thanks to: Radiohead, Jane's Addiction, Alice In Chains, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, The Melvins, Yoko Ono, John Lennon, JS Bach, Thelonious Monk, Luigi Russolo, Art Of Noise, David Bowie, Eels, SpedheD

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
I thought that was really well produced. Reminded me of George Harrison's Blue Jay Way and something by Oasis that I can't put my finger on.

Played it a couple of times once with headphones. Floated off into space. I'll do it again tomorrow. Good luck with the ep.

diadem

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »
I like the guitar riff just after the intro a lot, kind of a getting a Kashmir vibe from it with that phasing effect and all. Very cool ! :)
Lots of guitar work going on, lots of variation in sound and rhythm. I find it almost impossible to figure out exactly how many guitars are playing at a certain time, although the mix doesn't sound overly muddy, so that's a good thing in my book. Keeps it interesting.

I didn't really like the heavy part ('all the things you hate and fear...') from a musical point of view. A matter of taste I guess, I'm just not a fan of those heavy chords. The rest of the song I thoroughly enjoyed. Kind of puts you in a trance like state. As Diadem put it, you just float away.

Production-wise this is real quality I'd say. Everything sits well. If I had to pick one thing to change in the song, I'd turn up the vocals a bit, bring them more to the front of the mix.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »
Hi Daren,

Mega stuff. Loved every second.
I'm getting a bit of The Tea Party as well - The Edges of Twilight era.
Look out for my PM - Sounds like a song to be cranked up when night driving.

Brilliant and Epic.

Digger

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »
Nice one man ..could be a contender for July song of the month(i`m judging ;)

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »
From the clips mish-mash of the intro I thought I was going to be disappointed, there were just so many, Frere Jacques and Floyd, Beatles, Marillion, The Smiths, etc etc did that so often...but...once the phased riff kicked in with its Tomorrow Never Knowsness it was cool and the break at abou 3 minutes in, really nice. Going heavy at 3'40" reminded me of the great Porcupine Tree. This is prog how it should be done in the 21st Century, tips at hat to the late 60s and onwards but that hat is not a feathered floppy felt hat it's the most stylish you can imagine...

Was disappointed that it ended...a sign of a really great song, have to go round again.

Love your mock html tags around the lyrics ;-)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:38:17 AM »
Wow, this is impressive to say the least. Incredibly accomplished musicianship and recording. It could easily sit on a modern professional prog album. I agree that the vocals could come up a little in the mix but otherwise, it's really beyond reproach. Awe inspiring stuff.

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
I thought that was really well produced. Reminded me of George Harrison's Blue Jay Way and something by Oasis that I can't put my finger on.

Played it a couple of times once with headphones. Floated off into space. I'll do it again tomorrow. Good luck with the ep.

diadem
awesome - Harrison is kinda a hero to me & do indeed love Oasis so humbly thankful :)

I like the guitar riff just after the intro a lot, kind of a getting a Kashmir vibe from it with that phasing effect and all. Very cool ! :)
Lots of guitar work going on, lots of variation in sound and rhythm. I find it almost impossible to figure out exactly how many guitars are playing at a certain time, although the mix doesn't sound overly muddy, so that's a good thing in my book. Keeps it interesting.

I didn't really like the heavy part ('all the things you hate and fear...') from a musical point of view. A matter of taste I guess, I'm just not a fan of those heavy chords. The rest of the song I thoroughly enjoyed. Kind of puts you in a trance like state. As Diadem put it, you just float away.

Production-wise this is real quality I'd say. Everything sits well. If I had to pick one thing to change in the song, I'd turn up the vocals a bit, bring them more to the front of the mix.

sweet. ty! i hear ya on heavy part not everyone can be a fan but I'm a grunger at heart so it's in there to kick it up a notch lol

Hi Daren,

Mega stuff. Loved every second.
I'm getting a bit of The Tea Party as well - The Edges of Twilight era.
Look out for my PM - Sounds like a song to be cranked up when night driving.

Brilliant and Epic.

Digger

very kewl and glad you got mp3 ;-) feel free to copy and pirate ;0

Nice one man ..could be a contender for July song of the month(i`m judging ;)
WOW truly an honor to hear that bro. thank you :-) really though everybody here is a contender for SOTM we're just one of a zillion bands

From the clips mish-mash of the intro I thought I was going to be disappointed, there were just so many, Frere Jacques and Floyd, Beatles, Marillion, The Smiths, etc etc did that so often...but...once the phased riff kicked in with its Tomorrow Never Knowsness it was cool and the break at abou 3 minutes in, really nice. Going heavy at 3'40" reminded me of the great Porcupine Tree. This is prog how it should be done in the 21st Century, tips at hat to the late 60s and onwards but that hat is not a feathered floppy felt hat it's the most stylish you can imagine...

Was disappointed that it ended...a sign of a really great song, have to go round again.

Love your mock html tags around the lyrics ;-)

awesome!! ya thought wrapping it up in an XML tree would through modern spin into it and also support the theme of alienation as cyber-alienation etc...

Wow, this is impressive to say the least. Incredibly accomplished musicianship and recording. It could easily sit on a modern professional prog album. I agree that the vocals could come up a little in the mix but otherwise, it's really beyond reproach. Awe inspiring stuff.
awe humbly grateful to read this :-)

thanks for all this feedback- this forum really is supreme in the level of music edification and refinement in listening ears hence our loving to post stuff as feedback is invaluable !!

big opus/ 133 tracks in all here's some Logic9 screenshots of main song and lead-in
loving my iMac quadcore i5 with 32 GB RAM installed at factory - TONS of torque/ mixing heaven ;p

http://mediumrangeintelligence.com/jade_main_logic9.png

http://mediumrangeintelligence.com/jade_intro_logic9.png

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 12:02:06 AM »
Awesome stuff! No qualms aty all with the song. I loved the odd ball entrance, love me some electroacousticims.

The mix is a tad muddy and could do with more "punch". Also, one of the instruments is "clicking" a tad, as if a compressor is redlining somewhere, Most likely the Bass drum or bass guitar. It is a tad distracting on my cans.

I liked where it rocked out.

I too would like more vocal clarity. I always do! Not necessarily volume, some clever EQing would work here.

Loving the guitar work throughout and great drum patterns. Lovely modern prog! Big thumbs up :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 07:58:25 AM »
Great song .. nice lyrics .. production is good .. all in all very good song ..

Cheers....

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »
sounds great on headphones! brilliantly musically!  8) great stuff!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

Dutchbeat

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »
Hi Daren, you did it again, and yes, you nailed that revolution nr. 9 feeling

i realise this is what you want for the atmosphere of this track, but bringing the vocals up a bit, perhaps???

an enjoyable musical experience, once more!!!!

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
Awesome!
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »
I really liked this, well recorded with lots of ideas and harmonic colour. Vocals a bit low in the mix/needing some EQ'ing for me, but a very good song. Liked the heavy riffs!

Cheers

Jamie

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 03:03:17 AM »
Hi Daren, you did it again, and yes, you nailed that revolution nr. 9 feeling

i realise this is what you want for the atmosphere of this track, but bringing the vocals up a bit, perhaps???

an enjoyable musical experience, once more!!!!

Hey cool Dutch!! thanks -
Quick question: r u referring to overall vocals or just heavy parts?