konalavadome

Mixing Education Exercise - Fenland Gardener

• 46 Replies

Dutchbeat

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 08:02:49 PM »
ok, i see, they where in the intitial post

sorry

but i think they are no longer
sorry for coming late (i had reasons for that)

but can i still get the tracks, i will try to make something weird and different

Dutchbeat

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 08:20:22 PM »
found the tracks, this looks more like a RE-mixing excercise than a mixing excercise
just by reading your posts and the responses

cool for me, so i am in, and i have the tracks now, i think

deadlines? are there any deadlines so that we can break those?

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 08:47:28 PM »
No deadlines, almost no rules about what you can do. The only rule is that you must use at least some of the crowd noise. You are not supposed to use all of it, unless you're that weird, just sprinkle it where every you want.

You can stretch, chop, delete, combine, pitch, smother, burn, kill, shift etc if you want to.

I look forward to hearing the result.

diadem

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 12:17:10 AM »
Back from my holiday and really looking forward to participating in this. Have just downloaded the files so will start work on it asap.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »
Back from my holiday and really looking forward to participating in this. Have just downloaded the files so will start work on it asap.

Looking forward to hearing the results. I'll post my version after yours if that's ok.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 10:44:13 PM »
Okeedokes... I'm downloading right NOW :)

I'll see what I can do to mess this lot up  :D :D :D

hab..

btw, is it allowed to add anything? ie vocals/harmonies/ooh's etc...?

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 11:10:54 PM »
Okeedokes... I'm downloading right NOW :)

I'll see what I can do to mess this lot up  :D :D :D

hab..

btw, is it allowed to add anything? ie vocals/harmonies/ooh's etc...?

I don't see why not. As I said earlier, only one rule. You must use some of the crowd noise and that's the only rule.

I look forward to hearing the result.

diadem

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 12:01:17 AM »
Ok, well, I'm really pressed for proper concentration/headphones time but I REALLY wanted to have a stab at this...

I have used Audacity.. with ANWIDA and Sweetboy plugins...

Here is what I've done...

I moved some of the drum tracks to line up better (in my own mind :) )

I have also done this..

FG drum and bass mix 1 - added ANWIDA whitechapel effect
FG lead guitar 1 - added ANWIDA whitechapel effect moved RIGHT
FG lead guitar 2 - added ANWIDA chapel effect moved LEFT
FG rhythm guitar 1 - moved hard left
FG rhythm guitar 3.1 - moved hard right
FG tambourine 1 - moved hard left
Crowd noise was moved and duplicated to use throughout

I then added Sweetboy b&t master, then Sweetboy maximizer +3Db

I think that's about it. I really have NO IDEA what I'm doing but if this can act as a POOR example, then so be it :)

Hope you like, and I hope it spur's others on to have a go..

http://soundcloud.com/whitewinter-habitat/fenland-gardener-jb

hab...

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 07:38:50 AM »
Thanks hab. I was beginning to wonder who was going to be first. I think your mix is interesting.

I notice you put my awful bass playing up front ;) I liked what you've done with the crowd. Its a bit difficult to really comment too much as I've lived with my version for so long it sorta becomes ingrained. I'll put my version up a week today to allow any one else to put theirs up. We can discuss the differences then and some of the reasons I made the choices I did. Hearing your version I can see why people may be having difficulties mixing the track, it may have been better to have put my mix up first, but you can't uncrack eggs.

Thanks again, its appreciated,

diadem

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
When I post my version on Sunday I'll also put up some of the lessons I've learnt from the thread, which may be helpful.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »
I'll be quite late with this - sometime next week probably.
We started moving before I could get it done so speakers are packed away. I just have to set the reverb and do the final master bus processing and it's done.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 07:45:27 PM »
I have no problem postponing my version until the Sunday after. I would prefer putting mine up after a few are already up as I think the discussion would be so much better.

I'll take no response as a please wait. I don't think waiting another week will make any difference.

diadem

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 02:56:20 PM »
Moving got delayed so I decided to just throw on some headphones and quickly rattle something out.
It was a fairly difficult one as it was not a song per se, as diadem says it's more just a repeated riff.
It has a fairly hazy psychadelic feel so I decided to go with that. Keeping true to the idea of a mixing exercise I didn't add in any extra tracks or develop the song further - just pure mixing :)

I did some rough editing of bass and drums to knock them into shape a little and then set all the levels and panning I wanted. I EQ'd just about every track a little and added some compression here and there - mostly on the drums to give them some extra crack and weight.
I also beefed up the lead guitar and bass tracks using the free version of Amplitube.
I screwed a fair bit with the stereo field of the organs to make them sound wiiiide and psychadelic.

Then I just put liberal amounts of reverb on the two lead guitars with Epicverb (cool freeware reverb) and finally passed it through a tape machine for some distortion/compression and the standard Cubase limiter to bring it roughly up to the same level as modern music.

I didn't really know what to do with the end where it started falling apart so I did a harsh chop! I also didn't really get the purpose of the crowd, so it's in there at the start only...

Compression either came from my own hardware recreation of an LA-2A style compressor or Waves' RComp plugin.
EQ was either from the desk (I was using a very cheap Yamaha MG16 for this track) or from PSP NobleQ or Waves' RChannel plugins.
Tape machine is a Revox

It's very quick and rough and ready, but it's turned out ok IMO  ;D

https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles/fenland-gardener-ramshacklemix/s-t1que

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 07:11:08 PM »
Thanks Ramshackles. I enjoyed listening. If you don't mind I'll give a full response when I put my version up. I think there's only seriousfun left. I could put my version up on Sunday if he has no objections, but I'd rather wait until he's ready.

I think its interesting that both you and habiTat used my count-in markers in the finished version.

diadem

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 07:16:30 PM »

I think its interesting that both you and habiTat used my count-in markers in the finished version.

diadem

I thought, since you wanted to crowd noise included, the best way to present it was as a live gig recording, hence the markers, they also sound quite cool, a bit in like 'Smooth' by Santana.