Mixing Education Exercise - Fenland Gardener

• 46 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »
Fascinating title, really looking forward to seeing what's under the hood and how they all turn out..
Managed to download and import which is a 1st!!
BPM seems to be 131.02 I think but the 3rd bass drum beat is behind the beat - help......
:)
Neil  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:00:50 PM by Neil C »
songwriter of no repute..

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 06:08:45 PM »
maybe youcan also do a quick mp3 export of the song in it's current state, so we can listen to a before and after with everyones mixes?

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
I wasn't going to. I wanted to see what everyone else came up with.

If other people planning on doing a mix would like to hear mine I'll finish it off and post it.

Please let me know over the next day or so. If people think its a good idea I'll post my mix on Friday. I'd rather finish the mix off than post an mp3 of one of my rough mixes if that's ok.

I'm not sure what anybody would learn from one of my rough mixes as I generally build up from the drums and bass rather than sketch out the finished product and work backwards. By the time I get to include all the parts the mix is almost complete.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »
no, I meant the raw tracks as they are now. It's more about being able to hear what different people have done to the original tracks to achieve their mixes...

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 08:49:13 PM »
I think this is already starting to prove its worth as an exercise and we havnt even started. Already some folks are learning the different merits of mono and stereo tracks. Cant wait to get home and get started.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »
no, I meant the raw tracks as they are now. It's more about being able to hear what different people have done to the original tracks to achieve their mixes...

I'm not sure I work like that. I uploaded the drums, including the hats, into Cubase. Added the bass. Adjusted the levels and added some individual effects to everything but the snare. When I was happy with the overall sound I printed the result to stereo. I then opened a new session and produced a stereo mixdown of the rhythm and lead guitar. I opened a final session imported the mixdown tracks and added everything else into the mix. So my processed raw tracks are all mixed together.

I'm currently checking the levels to achieve a compromise between how it sounds on the computer and my hi fi. Once I'm happy I'll print the master and eventually put it on the forum. If I'm unhappy I may revisit the individual effects, but that doesn't happen very often.

I use different sessions because of my small computer screen. Not perfect but it does me.

I'm not sure if anything I post would be of any use if you want to identify what I've done to the individual raw tracks.

I have a way of working that suits me. It may not be technically correct, but I generally produce a mix I like. I think I'm making a stew, albeit, one where you can take things out without affecting the taste.

If you think some of it will be of use let me know. From your post I'm not sure how they could be without the finished product to compare them against.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
Fascinating title, really looking forward to seeing what's under the hood and how they all turn out..
BPM seems to be 131.02 I think but the 3rd bass drum beat is behind the beat - help......
Neil  

Sorry Neil, that's what I get from trying to be helpful and using quantise. Usually my drums are all over the beat.

I'd not noticed it, but most of the music I listen to is ancient, well before everything had to be exactly on the beat.

;)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 10:33:35 PM »
Neil  
Sorry Neil, that's what I get from trying to be helpful and using quantise. Usually my drums are all over the beat.
I'd not noticed it, but most of the music I listen to is ancient, well before everything had to be exactly on the beat.
 ;)
Diademgrove, no problem. Its fascinating exercise already.
I always use midi drums to time everything when I record audio even if i dont used them. 
I tried to cut and quantise each drum ( and also considered putting in a new drum track against the rules I imagine ) but then I realised that the audio will all be against these recorded drums not quantised ones.  :(
I'm wondering how others are dealing with this timing issue as I dont think I can proceed without a fix?
???
Neil

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 07:11:50 AM »
manual editing.
There are timing discrepancies between instruments (e.g. bass and drums) anyway, so needs to be done.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 08:06:35 AM »
manual editing.
There are timing discrepancies between instruments (e.g. bass and drums) anyway, so needs to be done.

That's what happens if you use humans, their timing is usually off.

I've uploaded a wav file of an early drum and bass mix called FG drum and bass mix1, surprisingly. After sleeping on it I thought it might be helpful to see how I start building a track up.

Its going to be interesting to see the results. I've kept all my timing discrepancies in.

Good luck.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 10:41:51 AM »
I have to say I think with the amount of editing required its beyond my skill and resources, which is a shame as I would like to have done a mix  :(
However that's not to say that I haven't learnt something already, namely the ability to import other peoples songs and get them into my DAW which was a first for me.
So diadem thanks for the opportunity and good luck to everyone, I am looking forward to hearing how it turns out and what you all learned, and having ago at another one in a while..
Neil 

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
Thanks Neil. Its a shame you couldn't put everything right.

My mix is done. I didn't edit the tracks to put everything on the beat, just mixed it as it was recorded. I do have an advantage though, I'm used to recording myself and mixing the tracks.

Maybe next time,

diadem

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »
Mixing this now.
Can you give some ideas as to what you are after with regards to the feel and tone of the piece? A bit of history/explanation of the track ?

Are other people going to post their mixes? I suggest you just go ahead and post them in this thread...

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
Thank you for taking the time with my tracks.

I would post my mix, but feel it best to wait until other people posted theirs. I'm also waiting to give seriousfun enough time after his holidays to see what he could do.

I sometimes end my guitar practice by playing over a random track. I came up with the lead guitar riff and didn't have much else. I read the thread about mixing and thought what a good idea. It then occurred to me that people wait to see who goes first and a good idea disappears because nobody wants to go first. I just added some more lead guitar and the other instruments. The rhythm guitar was just one chord to keep it simple. The drums were kept simple as well (lack of talent). The bass guitar was just noodling and playing fills during the times the guitar was quiet.

So no real history, no intention other than to see what people did with the tracks.

I had a tone and feel in my head which ended up in my mix. But I'd hate to limit you to what's in my head. I thought the object was to take the bare tracks and make something different to show what could be achieved from the initial takes. I tried to include enough variety in my playing to make each mix different.

As to my mix, I don't know how much corrective work you did on the tracks but I didn't do any. If the beats are sloppy then my mix is sloppy as well.

I'm genuinely interested in what people come up with. I'm not going to turn round and complain because it doesn't sound like mine. To be honest I don't want the mixes to sound like mine. I feel it would be far more educational (and interesting) if we ended up with mixes that sounded different. Once the mixes are up it would be nice to get questions about what the mixers have done to get totally different sounds. If we end up with similar sounding mixes, what's there to ask?

Sorry I don't feel I've been much help. If you have any more queries please ask.

diadem

Dutchbeat

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »
i missed this...?? can i still join... ??? please  :P

if there is a lot of editing, and that is allowed...

i would like to join very much, because i can really mess (strech, chop, delete, combine, pitch, smother, burn, kill, shift etc.) things up highly efficiently  ;D ;D ;D....yes, that is what i make myself believe

so where can i get the tracks  ;D ;D ;D ;D