Mixing Education Exercise - Fenland Gardener

• 46 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »
Hi all,

I have recorded a short instrumental and would like to put up the stems for the first mixing exercise. I apologise if I have broken any forum etiquette by posting here. I have uploaded the stems in a winzip file to 4 shared. The link is http://www.4shared.com/folder/TVq8vYKK/_online.html

It includes the following wav files

1 x bass (kick) drum
1 x snare
1 x hats
3 x rhythm guitar
2 x lead guitar (1 being occasional support)
1 x organ
1 x tambourine
1 x crowd noise

You can pick and choose which files you use with one exception.

Please let me know if you have any problems. This is the first time I've used 4 shared and winzip.

The files were recorded at different levels, so some balancing will be needed.

The tune is untitled but used Fenland Gardener as a means of identifying the stems. The only rule concerns the crowd noise. I would like you to add bits of it to the finished track like the Beatles did to Sgt Pepper or Revolution No 9. Which bits you use are up to you.

Please note that crowd noise stem is not meant to be fit in with the rest of the stems in real time. It is meant to be cut up and the bits you use can be placed anywhere in the mix you think suitable. You could use a few seconds or lots of it. How much is up to you.

I look forward to hearing the results.

Any questions please ask

diadem

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »
Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this. I am currently away on holiday but will do a mix on my return in 2 weeks time.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
Thanks Allan,

I'll look forward to hearing the result. Apart from the crowd noise its not as weird as my usual recordings. That's no guarantee it isn't weird, though.

diadem

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »
BTW what is the track tempo. I think if you can supply the bpm it will save peeps a bit of time in trying to match it.

Allan.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:02:40 PM »
131bpm.

All the musical tracks with the exception of the tambourine and one of the lead guitars are introduced by a 1 2 3 4 played on the appropriate instrument. I started one of the counts early but left it in as its quite funny. I left one bar of silence after the count and started the tune.

I started with the bass drum and played everything else on top of this track. Once you see the stems in the DAW you should be able to see how it all works.

Hope this helps.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:39:45 AM »
Is there any chance you could upload to a site other than Livid?  It forces users to install livid before they can download and I don't trust Livid. It has some extremely bad reports of malware and hijacking when I googled it.

Allan.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 06:45:43 AM »
Dropbox is very good, nothing dodgy..

Just upload the tracks to your public folder and copy and paste the links to each one.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »
Second for dropbox. 4shared won't let me download anything without an account...

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
I'm setting up drop box. I've had a look at the site and it talks about getting people's e-mail addresses. Presumably I just share the link on here and people can download the contents of the folder.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:20:21 AM »
Here is the link to Dropbox, hope it works

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bmbgdqxohfznjk7/5aeCwaEAhg

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »
That seems ok, on my phone at least (im at work at the mo) I can see all the files so it should be easy enough for people to get them downloaded.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »
That seems ok, on my phone at least (im at work at the mo) I can see all the files so it should be easy enough for people to get them downloaded.

Thanks, that's a relief.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »
Got the tracks. Rhythm Guitar 3 has nothing on it...

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 02:50:50 PM »
One thing I should point out, which is too late now but useful in the future. Is that you have exported all your tracks as stereo wav files when in fact they are (mostly) mono sources, so should be recorded and exported to mono tracks.
Using stereo when not needed messes with headroom (a problem when it comes to mixing) and eats up disk space and CPU power...

I bounced down all the tracks to mono, which is no problem but takes a bit of time ;)

So..if you have a mono signal (1 mic, 1 output from a guitar or whatever), use a mono track...

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
I've added rhythm guitar track 3.1 to the folder. Hopefully you'll be able to see it.

Sorry about the stereo. I never really needed to mixdown to mono before. I'll learn how to do it and make sure I don't make the same mistake again. Thanks for the tip.

diadem