Poll

When writing do you start with:

Lyrics
Music
Lyrics and Music together
Depends

Lyrics or Music: which do you write first?

• 43 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:57:26 PM »
What method works for you and why?

I'll go first, I always write the music and melody first as I find I need a meter to write my lyrics to.  Having said that I did write lyrics first once, but the song wasn't one of my best.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:19:57 PM by tone »
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

jessie

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »
music first for me too - maybe you should start a topic: which do you finish first? I would not be able to answer that one though :D

waspfromipanema

• Global Moderator
  • Busker
  • I'm Cathy, Tone's wife.
    • Once Loved Dog Rescue
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:34:17 AM »
Music first, always, (but then you know that Tone!) I've never been able to write a song where the lyrics come first, but I always seem to just use lyrics that I can sing easily! Might not be the best approach, but that's just me.

aaron

• Busker
  • apprentice rockstar
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:21:39 PM »
I write both together, usually its all done in one sitting, next day, another song lol

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »
I write both together, usually its all done in one sitting, next day, another song lol
All in one sitting? You jammy git!  That happens for me so rarely, but when it does, it's usually my best work.
You should post something up for review Aaron :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

mr_T

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 12:44:52 PM »
I've tried both, but not settled into either yet. Still finding my feet. :(

Llamasllamasllamas

• Busker
    • PeteR
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:12:32 PM »
Sometimes music "comes to me" and sometimes lyrics "come to me."  I have an extensive collection of both (music and lyrics that have come to me seperately), and I listen to / read them, sometimes for years, until an "other half" which can compliment the existing creation comes to me.   Sometimes that time never comes, and they remain instrumentals or poems.  ::)

Guy

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
Sometimes one, sometimes the other haha - depends on how I feel and whether I happen to be playing the guitar when something comes into my head.  I'm surprised at the results so far tbh - would have expected more varied approaches.

stargirl

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 02:45:56 PM »
I usually have lyric first as i've been writing lyrics for years and music for just a few months. I find my words have tohave a point before music comes to me. Saying that I do struggle to create the music weather I do it last or first. ???

Captain Andy

• Busker
    • Captain Andy
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 12:11:20 PM »
I usually have lyric first as i've been writing lyrics for years and music for just a few months. I find my words have tohave a point before music comes to me. Saying that I do struggle to create the music weather I do it last or first. ???

That's interesting because for me, 99% of the time the music will come first and then however the music makes me feel will essentially shape the lyrics.
Years ago I did used to write lyrics first and I'd have piles of paper with lyrics on, some would get used and some would just collect dust.

Occasionally a line or a title will pop into my head and I'll think, "I really want to write a song with that line in it or with that title!" But I generally find it difficult to develop from there until I've got some music going.

stargirl

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 03:42:48 PM »

Years ago I did used to write lyrics first and I'd have piles of paper with lyrics on, some would get used and some would just collect dust.

Occasionally a line or a title will pop into my head and I'll think, "I really want to write a song with that line in it or with that title!" But I generally find it difficult to develop from there until I've got some music going.

Thats what I have. Paper everywhere. lol.

lightspeed182

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »
usually lyrics, unless ive got a tune in my head i need to get down then ill try to write some lyrics to work with. to be honest i dont even know if thats true cos i never really think of it till im a good way into the song. but i always struggle with last verses. never really happy most of the time. i do alot of repeating to just get it over with and maybe go back later

Captain Andy

• Busker
    • Captain Andy
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 11:37:12 AM »
usually lyrics, unless ive got a tune in my head i need to get down then ill try to write some lyrics to work with. to be honest i dont even know if thats true cos i never really think of it till im a good way into the song. but i always struggle with last verses. never really happy most of the time. i do alot of repeating to just get it over with and maybe go back later

A lot of the time I'll have just a few lyrics in a song if I feel it's all it needs. I don't try and cram extra words in just to satisfy convention.
I do get criticised for it, but who cares?

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 12:13:21 PM »
n-n-n-necro!

I know this thread is very old, but it's a damn interesting point of discussion.

Why music first? Why lyrics first? Do you think of lyrics with a vague idea of the melody behind them? Do you bend your lyrics about to fit the music you end up coming up with?

I think there's a lot of questions related to this, many of which have often crossed my mind.

I know that personally I will generally come up with lyrics that have an intended 'song' that would go with them. The lyrics get written on paper but the music is in my mind and I imagine the whole song at once. Occasionally I come up with lyrics alone and sometimes do the same with music.

I think my way of 'writing' the music in my head as I come up with the lyrics was borne of a lack of access to instruments until very recently and also an idea of where the music needed to rise and fall to support the message and how the whole arrangement should be to maximise emotive power.
Defective Elector

madferit

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 10:56:40 PM »
Both at the same time,it never happened to me that i got my melody first and then lyrics
At the end of the day a name's a name. You could be called f***ing Veiny Love Stick, but if your music's shit then it's shit.