Recording Bass

• 8 Replies

Eltoniobonio

• Busker
« on: January 08, 2011, 06:03:25 PM »
I've recently acquired my first Bass guitar, Up until now i've used the bass notes on a keyboard for recording purposes. I'm thrashing around in the dark abit though. Can anyone offer any tips or advice in this field. For instance, i'm finding it difficult to gauge how far forward in the mix i should put it. Is it just a case of if i like it then it's o.k? It strikes me that this is the easiest thing to screw up on a track. Any pearls of wisdom would be most welcome. Thanks.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:14:03 PM »
Recording bass well is probably one of the trickiest things. There is lots of sound energy at the bottom end and much less higher up and this is exaggerated with playing style. Getting an even level is  quite tricky so some processing help is definitely needed. A good starting point is to make use of compression while recording. Basic guidelines that I found useful are here. http://www.benvesco.com/blog/mixing/2008/mix-recipe-bass/
With the bass signal level more manageable it should be easier to get a good mix.

Hope this helps

Mihkay
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Eltoniobonio

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »
Recording bass well is probably one of the trickiest things. There is lots of sound energy at the bottom end and much less higher up and this is exaggerated with playing style. Getting an even level is  quite tricky so some processing help is definitely needed. A good starting point is to make use of compression while recording. Basic guidelines that I found useful are here. http://www.benvesco.com/blog/mixing/2008/mix-recipe-bass/
With the bass signal level more manageable it should be easier to get a good mix.

Hope this helps

Mihkay
Thanks Mihkay, That's exactly the sort of thing i'm looking for. I've found i either can't hardly hear my bass atall or it drowns everything else out in a sort of sub-sonic soup. I like the idea of compression as this sort of keeps it under control. Thanks again.

Gabe Carter

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:34:23 PM »
I usually just use a DI for bass and run it through Ampeg SVX in Reaper for all my bass sounds. I love how it turns out too. Always sounds better than when I mic my bass amp! :)

Sonic-r

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »
When I'm mixing a recording I use channel EQ on every track of the song. (This is Logic Pro). Then I'll have the EQ filters visible for kick, bass and any other instrument in the low frequency range. Rather than use a compressor too much I use channel EQ to boost one of the low end frequencies a few dbs, between 70-80Hz for kick, 80-100Hz for the bass, and 100-120 hz for the other instrument.

If I boost the bass at 80Hz I'll reduce slightly the kick at the same frequency to stop the two competing for the same frequency and creating the low frequency rumble that makes the house vibrate! It's making sure that each instrument has its own space on the frequency spectrum.

Another tip engineers often give is if a sound is getting lost in a song, don't increase its volume, reduce that of the instruments around it. A lot of engineers reduce rather than boost, then bring the global level of the song back up with either a compressor or a limiter.

And finally, the genre of song will determine how prominant the bass should be. If its certain kinds of dance or hip hop it can't be too loud! It's got to make a car bounce up and down even with the engine turned off.  ;)

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
Another tip engineers often give is if a sound is getting lost in a song, don't increase its volume, reduce that of the instruments around it.

Mixing Gold Sonic-r.
A simple rule but... Oh So easily ignored!
Always good to be reminded of it!.  :)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

glennannie

• Busker
  • Glenn French Singer/Songwriter
    • Reverb Nation
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »
I've always sent bass guitar directly into my mixing board.An IMP or impedance box is helpful because it gives you a nice balanced signal.You'll also be able to compress the bass guitar similar to the way a kick drum is compressed.

Glenn

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »
I can't offer any advice concerning recording mumbo-jumbo (magical elves sort that out...) but I can say that a part of it depends on where you want it to be in terms of prominence.

You can listen around all sorts of bands, some have the bass right back and it's almost unnoticeable, some make it quite prominent. You have to decide first what sort of bass sound you want in your arrangements, then go about replicating that in your recordings.

Also, welcome to the world of bassists! :D
Defective Elector

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »
Great advice so far!

I like to use the bass as the starting point for my mixes

Once recorded I will zero all meters/faders

I then use a gentle compression on the bass so there are no major spikes

I then set the volume so that it does not go over -6db

I then EQ the bass with high and low pass filters to remove low end rumble and unwanted high end frequencies to leave room for the other instruments

This is then the bass (as in foundation) of the track that everything else is mixed to, ensuring there is plenty of headroom to play with

I then add the kick drum and use EQ to make it fit with the bass

I then add the rest of the kit

I then add the lead vocal and get everything mixed for levels, EQed to fit together and panned

If the track is sounding full with bass, drums and lead vocal you are well on the way to a great mix!

The other instruments are then added around this foundation and before you know it you are done

Although recognising when to stop is the key!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic