konalavadome

Too Old to Die Young

• 52 Replies

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »
Thanks Keith, the version you heard has been through various changes, there was far too mch bite at one point, I clawed it back, it's now a personal compromise between wanting to thrash and balancing with my vocal style...I might tweak it again some time, but I'm happy with it as it is for now. Thanks for your thoughts ;-)

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
listened to your latest effort! some pretty cool guitar work in there mind that solo after a minute or so!!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »
Thanks!

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
Hi SB,
I think you've written a really good song here, there are mixing issues but you can iron those out at a later date, what's important is you've got a great concept, a strong melody and the song moves a long nicely.  Keep going with the mixing, go back to old songs and with your new knowledge tweak them, it can make such a difference.  I've got loads to learn but this was my first 'big' recording:

https://soundcloud.com/hewood29/sob-story

I think I've improved!  :-[

So don't let your productions hold back your songs get googling and youtubing (very useful).

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 06:59:20 PM »
Thanks for listening...yeah, I've got plans to remix the dozen or so songs I've written and recorded during the last year. I didn't think this one was so bad. What "issues" do you hear? It sounds pretty good in my DAW on headphones...but maybe on monitors it's not so good?

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »
Like this. Moves along well and is catchy with some great little major/minor chord changes.

Nice one.

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 07:36:11 PM »
Like this. Moves along well and is catchy with some great little major/minor chord changes.

Nice one.

Thanks Alan, yes, I was quite pleased how this one turned out. Hopefully evocative and poignant words...eternals of the human condition sadly...

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »
Might have a chance to perform this and a few other originals live next month...scary thought...

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »
Be keen to know what you guys think of the lyrics of this song, in particular the two phrases:

"Too old to die young" and "Too old to cry over dying"

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks for all the listens and critique folks, shall I mothball this post or are there any more nits people have with this final version/mix? Happy to hear them, as always B-)

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 02:58:26 PM »
At long last, had a chance to perform this one live, just vocal and acoustic, athough fellow muso at our session joined in with some harmonies and a bit of a flute solo...didn't dare reveal what the original inspiration was as it sounds so silly now...

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 07:29:20 PM »

I'm definitely not a young band...not a band at all...just me on vox, guitars and bass with virtual drums and a virtually bald head...

Now... if you are "virtually bald", would that be like "virtual baldness?" 

And would "virtual baldness" mean you are only bald on the internet?" 

That wouldn't be so bad.   :O)
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2013, 07:25:05 AM »
Unfortunately not...I could be hirsute on the internet.

Of course, virtual doesn't mean online it was hijacked from optics where it is used to mean an image tha cannot be projected, but its definition in English is "almost or nearly as described" ;-)

Either way I don't really have much hair on my head.

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »
Wow! 1005 views on this post. That's great. Thanks everyone for listening and all the comments.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 11:37:21 PM »
I would have liked to have heard the different mixes progress as I think the latest mix is pretty much there

I really like the slightly "dirty" retro sound on the drums - it gives the song a really warm and familiar feel from the get go!

This also sets up the feel of a "live" performance, which I think suits the track perfectly

The guitar solo is absolutely perfect for the track IMHO - both the tone and phrasing

I really like the lyric and sentiment - the "too old to die young" really does jump out of the track

I would usually want the title to be the first or last line of the chorus or last line of the verse - but this phrase is so strong it jumps out even though it is in the middle of a verse, a brave choice and one that really pays off in this song, a good example of "breaking the rules" and it just "working"

The only comment about the song I would make is that I think the sections could be broken up a little more - at the moment it sounds like one long chorus (not always a bad thing!) but I think a bit more focus on the arrangement would give the track a little more space and scope to build

There are signs that you have tried to do this of this - eg the drum fills, fx being introduced for the lead vocal during the pre-chorus - but I think you could really take a scalpel to the arrangement

eg - the first verse just drums, bass, the little guitar licks & vocals - bring another guitar in for the chorus - drop one out again for a verse, bring more guitars back in for the next chorus etc. etc.

I think another texture would also help to really lift the track - eg a piano or acoustic guitar - that is playing in a higher register

There are a few spots where the doubled vocal is a bit clunky with the lead vocal but this is getting ultra niggly and not worth worrying about unless you are looking for perfection

The end section has a very "George Harrison" feel to me - a la "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

There are also some particularly nice bass guitar runs - but they are a little lost in the mix

All in all though this is a great example of an excellent song with a good production, which has been designed to "support" the song

If this was your intention (which I believe it was) then you have hit the bullseye  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic