konalavadome

Too Old to Die Young

• 52 Replies

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 09:02:01 PM »
Hi, I just listened to about 3 versions of this through the links above - I think (well they sounded different to me anyway).  Early ones seemed to have the rhythm guitar coming and going a lot, either with stereo panning around or some kind of tremolo effect it sounded like.  The latest version sounded much better.
This is a great song with a good chord progression and the solo was especially good - pretty good vox too.
nice one
GTB (normally I loiter in the lyrics section)
GTB

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »
Hi

Thanks GTB, pure coincidence, just listened to your latest track on SC before heading to the forum...

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
Hi, really really liking this, I think its the favourite of yours to date.
Upbeat, melodic with really clear production. Liked the guitar and solo..
Slight hint of Squeeze especially vocals ;-)
Not sure why its in WIP sound finished to me.
Simple works.
:) :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 07:54:48 PM »
Thanks Neil! It was the mix that made me put it in WiP. I as quite pleased with it structurally, melodically and harmonically. Always appreciate the Squeeze references, Gifford and Tilbrook truly the Lennon and McCartney of their generation, and they did that "octave" thing with their voices, which I almost accidentally did in this arrangement :-)

That phrase "too old to die young has been knocking around for a while, and one I've trotted out in late-night conversations a couple of times (not I think I'm there yet). The other phrase - too old to cry over dying I heard someone say a couple of weeks ago...intrigued me, as a middle-aged fart...hence the  coupling of those two in my lyrics...

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
Guitar solo at 1:07 is a beauty. I think you need to feature that more prominently in the song and less emphasis on the grungy rhythm guitar sound which I personally don't like. I'm having trouble getting around that and being objective about the song. Great vocals.

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »
Yeah, the overdrive has been up and down on the guitar...you caught it on an up in the remix cycle ;-) I'll maybe post a subtler version and boulster the solo so that there both online to compare...

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 04:56:29 PM »
Okay...I've pulled the distortion right back and went for something more akin to an Andy Summers Police ca '79 sound, but without all the chorus. I also did some stereo widening on my backing vocals (doubled the track, pushed one all the way to the left the other to the right and nudged one track a fraction of a second ahead, trick learnt from my old stereo guitar FX unit ;-)

This latest mix - as a wav file - now replaces the earlier incarnation

https://soundcloud.com/sciencebase/too-old-to-die-young
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:13:20 AM by sciencebase »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
A thought re the earlier comments about the mix - I would be included to upload a WAV direct too soundcloud rather than have double compression.
And the Squeeze reference wasn't just the octave vocals, you have tone and phrasing that reminders me of Glenn T  :) :)
Neil

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 05:17:28 PM »
Ah, okay...is that standard then wav on SoundCloud, I assume they'd force a compressed file...never actually checked.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »
Dont think so, it just takes longer to upload, I believe your account is restricted by total time rather than file size... N

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »
Ah, okay. Thanks for the tip.

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
New mix uploaded

https://soundcloud.com/sciencebase/too-old-to-die-young-1

Less guitar distortion, bass vocal harmonies panned right out with a little delay on one for that stereo feeling...uploaded as a wav

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 10:31:03 PM »
I seen both. If you want to move a thread you'd better ask a Mod.
 :)
Neil

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 08:11:09 AM »
Okay. Not to worry. Unless I were somehow putting this out on vinyl, I think it's probably always going to be a work in progress. Really appreciate all the advice and tips so far for this song! I'm going to make the version with the toned down guitar and the stereo wide backing vocals the current "final" mix:

https://soundcloud.com/sciencebase/too-old-to-die-young

Thanks again, hope you enjoy the latest version :-) Out on limited edition red vinyl 10" colour picture disc with a gatefold sleeve some time soon ;-)

keith21583

• Busker
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 05:53:40 PM »
Nice one, good solo and the bass underpinning it. I'd like to hear more rhythm guitar, not just higher in the mix, but more sustain, more bite or something! What's there is good, I just want more!

I agree with the above message, and have nothing too add. Well Done Sciencebase.