I won’t become everything I hate,
Just because it’s what the world dictates,
I won’t do the things you all still think I should,
Because I’m Mister misunderstood

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »
Please don't let me be misunderstood...but I cannot get that song out of my head scanning your lyrics, nor Mister Brightside...inevitable comparisons I think...

tayoln

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:13:51 PM »
Thanks, yeah, suppose it's a natural comparison. In my head I see this as more of an up-tempo acoustic song though, rather than a full on rock anthem.

What do people think about the song's message?

Essentially it's about being so obsessed with having fun and not growing up that, even though you know you are sabotaging yourself, you can't change. I see it as something which can be both tragic and uplifting at the same time as it can be about staying true to yourself no matter what external pressures you face, but can also be a sad tale of wasted potential.

Do you think this comes across?

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Hi tayoln,

I really like the images in the first verse. It really comes across that life is slipping away. My problem with the lyrics comes after this verse. I cannot work out what your character is saying. Is it, I've only got a short time left, so I better sort myself out, or the world as changed, all my friends have gone, but I'm not to blame, or I can't find new friends because people misunderstand me. Any of these ways of looking at life passing by would work with the first verse. I would pick one of them and develop your character around that version.

As an example, the man in a suit and tie. A new second verse could explain how successful he is at what he does. The chorus would then say I'm good at my job, but I hate it. My colleagues think I enjoy it but they are wrong.

The next verses could expand the story of how the character throws off his suit and gets on with what is important to him. He could become a carpenter making and selling tables. By changing the last chorus to the past tense you could end with I'm no longer Mister Misunderstood.

A song with a happy ending would go with an up-tempo acoustic arrangement.

I'm not trying to rewrite your song but just show what possibilities are available to you to develop the character.

diadem

tayoln

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:30:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

When I say 'up tempo' I don't mean I want it to sound happy, I just mean it won't be slow and ballad-like.

The character is someone who thinks of himself as 'Mister Misunderstood' rather than necessarily actually being misunderstood.

So in the first verse he is explaining about how his youth has passed him by too quickly and he has been thrust into a world he is not ready for,

Then in the the second verse he elaborates, basically saying, 'I'm stuck in this dead-end job and my friends are gone and it must be other people's fault because they misunderstand me' , but deep down he knows it is his own fault.

That's really what I was going for, but I see your point. Maybe it could do with another verse to develop it further...

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:49:06 PM »
No problem, I just misinterpreted the lyrics. They said something different to me.

diadem

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 02:55:16 PM »
Hi,
Some really good lines and imagery in there.
My only thought is I'm not entirely sure about the title and end line on the chorus, Mr Misunderstood doesn't quiet line up with what I read, but hell what do I know its your song...
The other thing is you may want to ask one of the moderators to move this to the Lyrics section.
 :)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..