You're Getting Older (Landslide)

• 17 Replies

Sellon

• Open Mic
  • Disregard Everything I Say...
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »
Well, people get older, people change, you start to doubt even yourself sometimes.
What do you do when the person you are isn't the person you knew.
This is quite old, about 3-4 months old, but I just found it again and I thought I'd share since I haven't posted in a while.

I somehow ended up back here with you
I guess you're wondering how , cause i do
To be honest I'm not sure
But one thing that I know is that you're my cure
And when the waves come to take me away
Will you be there?
Will you be there?

Oh, god up in the sky
Am I still young?
Where's that kid inside me that always sung?
Oh, god up in the sky
Can I sail through changing ocean tides?
Can I climb on through all of these landslides?
Cause I'm so scared of changing
Of getting old
Where my bed is still empty
And the world seems so cold

I took a journey just to miss you on the way
I slept at night but through most of the day
I never knew it was so hard to give something up
I never knew I'd be this cut
So when the ocean picks up and gets rough
Will you be there?
Will you be there?

Oh, god up in the sky
Am I still young?
Where's that kid inside me that always sung?
Oh, god up in the sky
Can I climb on through all of these landslides?
Of getting old
Where my bed is still empty
And the world seems so cold
What if we both just smiled at once?

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »
Hi Sellon, yippee I get the first post for once :-)
These lyrics are really good and very insightful.  As a "bloke of a certain age" (I'm saying no more!) I can relate to this, especially the inferences about giving things up.  It reminds me of one of my favourite quotes; "child is father of the man" (Wordsworth), which is a great poem and where I always go to when I'm feeling "old".
GTB
GTB

Stroller2010

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
This had a strong impact on me, made me realise that getting old isn't something we should make fun of and can be quite scary for those going through it. The last two lines of the chorus are very good and work well. I like how its not too long as well, there's no unncessary parts to it. So yeah, good job.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Naturally, after seeing the 'landslide' in the title, I thought of the Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac) song, however the first verse gave a breath of fresh air to the title because it was so different, but then I read the chorus and I think it is a bit too similar to that song- which is actually really annoying because I love the chorus! It is, except from that slight issue, a really strong piece with every part as high quality as the next part.
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »
hi sellon,

good strong piece like the feel of it
some lines draw you in pleasure to read very well done
take care...tony...

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
This is plagiarism, you just cant do this. Here are the parts I take issue with, ( Stevie Nick's Words are are highlighted in red, yours are in black)

Oh, god up in the sky Am I still young?
Oh, mirror in the sky What is love?

Can I sail thru the changing ocean tides?

Well, I've been afraid of changing

Where's that kid inside me
Can the child within my heart

Of getting old
I'm getting older too

It is fine to take some inspiration from a song, but when you start to steal whole lines then people start to notice and dig deep and suddenly all sorts of things appear, not just stolen lines, but stolen words used in context, the thought patterns etc...

You have even used the same strong structure and included lines in the exact same place of the song. I can only presume you were going to include the guitar solo in the same place as well.

Its a nice message, obviously not original but that's fine, its all but impossible to come up with an original message now. If you like the message then sit down and write your own song on it, don't take Stevie's song and just change 90% of the lyric, you need to change all of the lyric if you want it work and be your own song.

Sellon

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »
Are you serious? that's part of a song? I genuinely didn't know, I suppose I'll have to write it  again, well, thanks for letting me know, I guess....that kinda sucks, oh well, at least i know now, i'll post it again  here when I've redone it, probably tomorrow or the next day.

Sellon

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:23:54 PM »
can you also post the song here that you say is the same, i'd like to hear it, thanks.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 11:29:59 PM »
This is the YouTube link:

And the lyrics are on there. That's so weird if you have never heard the song before- maybe you heard it without realising you were absorbing it :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Sellon

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 02:34:34 PM »
oh wow, that is weird, I promise you I've never heard it before, however there are 6.8 billion people in the world and I'm sure this sort of thing happens all the time, thanks for letting me know and i'll start writing it again.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 03:08:17 PM »
Iv`e compared the two sets of lyrics and i`m not sure there`s been any infringement...this sort of thing happens to me esp .with song titles....

I think the benefit of doubt should be extended //if Sellon is clear he has not `written over` an existing song... ???

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »
Well I thought this was really good, love the message. I've not heard the other song before so I can't compare it to that but when I read it thought it was good.

Oh well if you have to change it, change it. You can make it even better!

VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

Innominate

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 11:49:33 PM »
Yah, I 100% agree with seriousfun. As soon as I read the title, it immediately made me think of that Fleetwood Mac song, a well known classic. "Landslide" isn't a word that you see too often in lyrics so it was a quick connection. The first stanza felt like a different song so it appeared it would only be a coincidence, then the chorus hit. All the parts seriousfun highlighted were what struck me too, even the rhythm fits in much of it and some of the duplicate lines fall in the exact same places.

There are times I get half-way into writing a song before I realize the melody is a little TOO familiar and after a little thought, find out it's actually an existing song. After all, the same four chords can be used to play hundreds of song, so cross-over is inevitable. Can't say i've had that with lyric writing, but if your experience is anything like writing music is for me, I can understand. Best case scenario, you've heard the Fleetwood Mac song before and invoked it without realizing it. Worst case, you blatantly plagiarized a classic song and got caught. Without knowing anything else, i'll just assume it was an honest mistake.

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 08:33:40 AM »
Yes, I had to think of the Fleetwood Mac song immediately as well, when I read the title. And then reading the lyrics again.
I guess it can happen by accident, but you can't really use it this way, since a lot of people will see it as plagiarism, I'm afraid...

And so many people who don't know 'Landslide'? :o
Where is the Fleetwood Mac love?
And don't give me the age card, I'm only 22 and I know the song :p

SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
And so many people who don't know 'Landslide'? :o
Where is the Fleetwood Mac love?
And don't give me the age card, I'm only 22 and I know the song :p
Second that! I'm only 14 and even I know it (granted I first heard it through glee, but I still now it!) one of my favourite songs. Stevie nicks love over hereā¤