konalavadome

Sybil of Delphi ( Written and sung by Jenna )

• 9 Replies

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:30:08 AM »
I belong to a local acoustic performers club and met a young performer, Jenna, some months back. She has a remarkable voice and exceptional phrasing ( she has been performing jazz and swing standards ). Then when I was talking to her one day, after I had performed a set of my songs she mentioned to me that she wrote as well. So I invited her around to my studio and offered to record half a dozen songs for her. I was expecting jazz/swing type numbers but she presented me with a number of modern folk/rock type songs. I asked her if she would be interested in getting some feedback on her work and with her consent I am posting this song. Regrettably I don not have a copy of the lyrics. Jenna has sung the vocals and played the acoustic guitar on this recording. I filled the song out by playing the other instruments, arranged and mixed the song for her. I, like Jenna am very interested to receive feedback on not only her writing, but also what you think of her voice and performance etc...

Thanks for listening, I realise this is not the normal post, but don't worry I shant make a habit of it and it will count as my post for the fortnight :)

Allan.

https://soundcloud.com/allan-kilgour/sybil-of-delphi
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:48:57 PM by seriousfun »

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
I liked the song and her voice...does remind me of someone or other...there`s quality here, really.

I need a few more listens to know what i think properly,,but it`s a good song..she`s a natural folk musician...the lyrics would be good to look at ..they sounded interesting.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »
Allan,

I think you've done a good job with the backing - it's sensitive and doesn't overwhelm the song. I liked the gypsy almost-out-of-tune violin particularly. She's a good singer and I thought this was an excellent, very well written, catchy tune. My only constructive suggestion would be concerning the vocals. I thought they sounded a bit cold and distant and a bit lacking in body. Maybe more reverb, double track, put more bass in the EQ on her voice and/or push her vocals up in the mix. This is a personal song and I want to feel closer to her as she sings if that makes any sense.

I'd like to hear more from this collaboration.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »
Hi Seriousfun!

vocals are beautiful, and song is very cool!!!

at first listen i am not to fond of the sound of the instruments and mix
(edit: i hope that is ok to say that, but the guitar sounds harsh to my (over delayed and completely over reverbished) ears and brain

but song and vocal delivery, YEAH!!!!!! and that violin is also ACE, btw  ;D ;D ;D

pretty pretty!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:54:54 PM by Dutchbeat »

shucky2011

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »
Lyrically i think this song is absolutely amazing. As well as the vocal delivery. You also did a great job on the instruments etc.  One thing did bug me which was the melody im sure is very similar to something ive heard before - i cant quite place it - though i think it might be a dylan track. Ill have to think on that so dont quote me.

But it is a professional sounding song and shes got great writing ability

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
Like you say, smashing voice.

Cracking tune.

(Please fix the title typo, if you can, sorry, had to mention it)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 06:17:06 PM »
Lyrically i think this song is absolutely amazing. As well as the vocal delivery. You also did a great job on the instruments etc.  One thing did bug me which was the melody im sure is very similar to something ive heard before - i cant quite place it - though i think it might be a dylan track. Ill have to think on that so dont quote me.

But it is a professional sounding song and shes got great writing ability

Beautiful south

Thats the melody it reminds me of!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
Great title, and clearly a really classy voice, lyrics sound interesting too.
In terms of the tune the verse is fine but for me it needs a more powerful chorus to take it to the next level so that the song rather than the voice memorable.
Thanks for sharing and good luck to Jenna
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Thomas Frederick

• Busker
    • Spotify
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
There's definitely raw talent here, her voice in particular. Her vocal tone perfectly balance the simple guitars.
The lyrics are quirky but make sense, making the song actually have meaning.
Very captivating yet also perfectly simplistic. It's pretty much perfect; the only thing I'd say is that the Chorus does need a bit more power and "oomph," but other than that, the song is brilliant.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »
Oooh this is cool, like you say Allan, she's really got something.

Great production, I especially like that familiar violin in my right ear :)

I possibly think the vocal could come up a little, with a little more reverb, but that's just a personal taste thing.

Excellent collab guys, get Jenna to join the forum, we are a little 'male-heavy'  :D

hab..