brand new suit

• 31 Replies

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 05:26:03 PM »
hey cena69,

really made up with your comments thanks so much
i'm made up you liked it take care...tony...

Thomas Frederick

• Busker
    • Spotify
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 01:05:56 AM »
I think this is decent - not perfect by any means - but full of charm and raw potential.
Of course it needs tweeking in places, such as the down-clown rhyme; it's slightly awkward and clumsy despite fitting with the general theme...
The rhythm seems slightly off in places also, so I'd look over certain lines such as the billing line, as several have said.
Also, I'd love to see this piece lengthened a bit; I feel it have more to give, and it'd be a great piece if it were just a bit more full.

Now all of the positives;
The theme of this song is just brilliant - it makes a welcome change to all the typical songs about love and dark/twisted romance or whatever. It's very down-to-earth and a stark song.
I think the repetition of "you were the one" in that verse is also very effective and really drives home the point of betrayal in the song.
I also like that most of the lines are simple and just get the point across without any excessive words, which quite difficult to do (I can vouch for that from personal experience).
I also think the ending is the most effective ending possible; I can imagine the music fading and the vocalist growing weaker as the final lines are sung... it's perfect!

I very much hope to see more! :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:07:02 PM by IPaintRainbows »

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »
hi ipaintrainbows,

thanks so much for some great comments just reading some of the things you said
makes me realise you know your stuff
i only wish you were around when i posted some of my other stuff i would have loved your opinions
i will try to take in everything you said here and thanks again for taking the time man

Dogmax

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 12:22:16 AM »
Well Tony

I would join a few line together and see what way the fingers on the guitar or those that play the piano take us, you got to understand that the flow has to be understood.

So in other words, Style Tony Style   8)

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »
hi dogmax,

thanks so much for your time to read these lyrics
but i'm not sure what you mean by your message
can you please elaborate for me
I know i'm stupid tony...

Dogmax

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 09:11:15 PM »
Sorry Tony bad habit of mine i don't explain myself very well, wherever the flow of thoughts take me if you know what i mean, see, there i go again.   ;D

I like this and the reason why is because its so real, thankfully i have never been through this situation but my sister was a good few years back, it was a psychological battle for her and a very nasty one as well.

Tammy Wynette DIVORCE come to mine but that is playground compare to yours, yours is the front line of any battle field and that's a compliment, I dont know if you play any insturments but music wise where do you go with this, in some songs that i wrote i sometime struggle to put chords to the words so what i do is become the audience and not the writer, i ask myself what music do i want to hear from these words or even with these words, that help me to understand the story in the song from the audience point of view, so if i was you this is what i would do.

Take out any indication of either male of female, take out any indication of whether the judge is male or female also i would take out the line (but you got the house and kids) this way then you're letting the audience decide for themselves who's side they see.

Music, i would keep it soft because this can be a very emotional time, i hear piano, you've got the making of a great song here.

Best of luck with this Tony.   8)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:00:11 PM by Dogmax »

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
hey,

thanks so much for that I really get what your saying
I will take another look at this and try to put in place what you've said
great advice thanks again mate take care tony...

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 01:22:54 AM »
At the time of writing your last two posts have netted 64 responses, that has to be some sort of record for sure.

I think I will name my next post

"Bless your brand new suit / for charity"

;D ;D ;D

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 03:07:24 PM »
Yeah, good double entendre: brand new suit vs brand new lawsuit.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
Yeah, good double entendre: brand new suit vs brand new lawsuit.
I once had a friend who's only comeback was:
"You're so stupid you think a lawsuit is something you wear to court"
And that is my contribution to this conversation.
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 05:21:16 PM »
hi guys,

hey allan, ha ha ha gotta laugh that's a belter I wish some one would have a go with this one
  I am about to make a change on it to many comments on the DOWN, CLOWN, thing so on the
  line,
  i'm going to put WHEN WE STOOD BEFORE THE CROWN  I hope that works better
  cheers again allan tony...

sciencebase, hey thanks man for taking the time ha ha ha good tony...

hey jess,  I see what your saying but don't know if it's a dig at me or sciencebase, but ha ha anyway
                 thaks again tony...

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »
  hey jess,  I see what your saying but don't know if it's a dig at me or sciencebase, but ha ha anyway
                 thaks again tony...

I'm not digging anyone!
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

benjo

• Stadium Tour

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »
Great lyrics Benjo, sort of sad and bitter at the same time, I could imagine Ray Lamontagne singing this, a simple acoustic guitar, maybe some subtle strings..

Excellent

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 08:30:56 PM »
hi hab,

thank you so much for your lovely comments means so much coming from you
I enjoyed writing this i'm so glad  you liked it
it's been picked as one of the top five for lyrics of the month I didn't even know there was one
nice surprise for me
I wish I could get someone to do this piece on an acoustic guitar that's how I imagine it too
I'm really made up thanks again and take care tony...