brand new suit

• 31 Replies

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 07, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
 hey guys,   this guy is unhappy with the outcome of a split
 please commen good or bad it all helps thak you...

BRAND NEW SUIT
    ======= //// =======

you tried everything you could
 to bring me down
 you made me out to be the liar
 as we stood before the crown

you twisted every detail
 you even shed a tear
 something I'd never seen you do
 through all our married years

how can I forgive you
 after what you did
 you did all the damage
 but you got the house and kids

it was easy for you
 you hid the truth
 judge brought the hammer down
 and I always lose
 everything we owned
 she gave to you
 all I got was the bill
 for a brand new suit

you were the one
 went out every night
 you were the one
 got into drunken fights
 you were the one
 who tore up our happy home
 but the judge thinks I'm the one
 who deserves to be alone

you twisted every detail
 you even shed a tear
 something I'd never seen you do
 through all our married years

everything we owned
 she gave to you
 all I got was the bill
 for a brand new suit
 all I got was the bill
 for a brand new suit...

© copyright house all rights reserved...

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
I guess you have to have been subjected to someone you love turning against you to feel the power in this lyric. At first I thought it was a little clumsy because of the 'down' - 'clown' rhyme. But it is not clumsy it is very good (although I would work on that line I think). I wouldn't say clever but it matches the subject. The first person isn't necessarily clever just hurt, shocked and disappointed. No fight left.

Yes, I think 'powerful' is the correct adjective.

As usual I don't like myself for suggesting alterations but I also can't help myself ... ;) I thought that

'All I got was the bill for a brand new suit'  would work better as;

'All I got was a brand new suit'

Good lyric. Are you going to put it to music?
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:46:32 PM »
hey shiny thang,

thanks for your comments really made up
you took the time to read it

the reasoning behind this guy is that he went through the court system
and did nothing wrong, yet she walked away with everything
he bought a brand new suit to make a good impression
when i wrote it,  in my mind was this guy sat on the pavement after the case
with the receipt/bill in his hand,
and that was his thought
i think you maybe think the suit was what he got from the house/marriage

my version                                                   your version

it was easy for you                                         it was easy for you
 you hid the truth                                            you hid the truth
 judge brought the hammer down                     judge brought the hammer down
 and i always lose                                            and i always lose
 everything we owned                                      everything we owned
 she gave to you                                              she gave to you
 all i got was the bill                                         all i got was a brand new suit
 for a brand new suit

sorry if you think i've gone on but i just wanted you to see where i was coming from
 thank you again for taking your time to comment, and great comments they were
 thaks again take care...

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
This is a really good lyric, I especially like the irony in that the only thing he got was the suit and then he had to pay for that anyway. Is there any particular reason why you made the judge a woman? I think it could be a little clearer for listeners if the judge was a man, it is correct as it is but means using the word she when referring to the third person in the plot sandwiched between lines talking about the wife so some may get confused if they are not listening close enough. It's a small inconsequential change and while it may not make much difference it certainly wouldn't hurt :)

I did like shiny's suggestion of cutting out or changing the suit billing line, just sounds cumbersome, but maybe you could introduce the purchase of a nice new suit earlier in the plot, v2 or v3, then it would have the added benefit if supporting the hook line and providing anothway to set it up. Maybe replace the house and kids line as you reveal that in the chorus, sort of.

These are both pretty minor suggestions, cause its a real well written piece but just a thought, a wife going out every night, getting into drunken fights and leaving the kids at home with hubby, does that happen? Things must have gone downhill since I got married. Think about the validity of that situation, you know your audience better than I so if its relevant then run with it, if not.......

Cheers
Allan
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:28:23 AM by seriousfun »

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »
hi allan

WOW,  great way of putting things i can see that when you read a piece you really read it
and that's why i'm here for your kind of thoughts and ideas on things
i do understand what you mean in all your points very clearly
i like to put a little bit of a twist in the idea, i think people expect a judge to be a man
and like you said it's most men that go out and get drunk and fight
although looking at todays stats with women i think this prob does go on a lot more today than when we got married
so i think it's just that little bit of moving away from the norm
sorry for rambling allan but i hope you look out for my lyrics cause this is what i want
can't thank you enough mate take care and great comments cheers... tony

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
Hi benjo,

I read the lyric as the ex-wife getting the brand new suit for the court case and the judge ordering you to pay for it.

As I'm new to the forum I'm not sure whether you would welcome suggested changes, so I'll jump in the deep end.

I'm not sure the home was particularly happy with the drunken fights and night's out. You could try twisting the couplet at the end of that verse to make "deserve to be alone" a relief, perhaps by adding "un" before "happy". You could then put the judge "agrees" rather than "thinks".

It slightly changes the nature of the song, which may take it away from your original thoughts. Feel free to ignore what I've written if you think it goes to far in the wrong direction.

Diadem

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
Hi Benjo,  I can see you're getting some good comments on these lyrics, all good points.  It's a good concept for a song and well put too.  I see a mixture of anger and bitterness in the lyrics so I would be interested how you put it to music as to me, the delivery will take it one way or the other :-)
GTB
GTB

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
The title is intriguing and there are many strong lines and ideas but if I'm honest it didn't blow me away. The rhyming in the first verse has room for improvement and to me, because there is no whole repeated section, I can't really decipher the structure. I don't want to sound really harsh, but everyone always asks for constructive critisism and all they get is nice sugar coated comments so I've decided I want to help people improve opposed to just being overly nice for the sake of someone's feelings. So overall, I thought it was good but not amazing and not your strongest piece :) (the smiley face makes me look like a better person after my comments)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »
This is a good song with a good (heartbreaking) story behind it. Personally I don't think think there are any "WOW" lines/ lyrics in here but the song it's self goes well and flows! It's a good piece of work.
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:27:41 PM »
hey guys,

thankyou so much for your comments means so much to me

diadem,  hey some nice things in the thought process
i think when your trying to put a story across it is a lot to consider
will check things out thanks again man take care..

GTB,  hey lovely comments thank you so much when i wrote it i had like a country feel to it
but i don't do music so i can only hope someone might fancy a go at it take care...

hey jess,  thanks for those great comments at the moment i'm trying to work story lines into lyrics
some will work and some won't but please always be honest with your comments thats why i'm here
thank you again jess take care...

booboo,  lovely comments made my day i think thats what i was looking for
the point about a good story, thanks booboo take care...

THANKS ALL...TONY

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
There's certainly a good song lurking about in here somewhere. Sure it need some tweaks and  bit of re-wording a few lines here or there but there's defo a keeper in it. The song makes me feel empathy for the poor sod in the song. A song that evokes emotion of nay kind obviously 'works' on some level or other.

The song IMO makes you feel pity for the poor guy that has been served up a shit sandwich by his wife, the judge and life in general and is being force fed it against his will due to circumstances not of his own doing.

IMO a great twist that would add to the 'pity' I feel for the guy would be if he finds the sleeve of his suit is ripped or if a bird fouls on him as he leaves court with his lot (even a line or two as an outro spoken even!).

You've some reat feedback here and a good solid basis I guess its up to you where do go with it now.

In terms of genre and style etc I'm not sure if you had a style in mind but IMO the vibe I got was a country song like Kenny Rogers 'Lucille' for what it's worth.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:19 PM »
hey sing4me88,

you have got it, bulls eye you can really read a story behind lyrics
everything you said was so right your reply had me laughing though
and you were right to feel sorry for the poor sod
thank you so much for your comments, and yes country style was in my head when i wrote it
if only some one will have a go with the music
thanks again great comments take care...tony...

Innominate

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 10:23:33 PM »
Songs that prominently feature male centric issues are, quite frankly, uncommon. Unless it has to do with heartbreak, they tend to be superficial in content. Perhaps that's just my experience with music though. It's nice to see a song commenting on important gender issues from the male perspective. You've got a lot of good advice about strengthening the song and I agree with much of it. What i would suggest is that you do some research into divorce and get a realistic understanding of the inequality in family law based on gender. I'm sure hearing stories of divorced men will give you all kinds of ideas for lyrics and getting a good idea of just how unfair or fair it is will make your character's experience all the more real. After all, if the song doesn't reflect reality, it isn't going to connect with people. You've done a great job so far getting the draft of the song done, but I think it could use some more work before its done.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 06:16:42 PM »
hey there,

thanks so much for your feed back means so much
yeah had some good ideas for different things it's something I can look into
it's unreal how many different views there are
but thanks again some great advice take care...tony...

cena69

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 09:32:51 AM »
this is really good benjo i thought it was intreaging and strong lined.
defenetly alot of emotion in this,
some of the other points i agree with but i think its reall well done