konalavadome

Fake Bass Guitar?

• 9 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
Just an idea, is it possible, advisable  or even workable to record a bass line using a standard acoustic guitar, then add extra bass boost etc in the DAW to emulate a bass guitar, or at least to use as an underpinning bass line for an acoustic track?

(I don't have a bass guitar and my keyboard is not natural sounding enough.)

If so, how would you go about it? (ie what effects, what process etc?)

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:44:35 PM »
I tried recording my guitar and using pitch shift and bass enhancer to get it to sound like a bass ... it didn't!

What I do think works is this DVI http://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/heavy-pick-bass

But to compose the bass line I usually play along on a guitar. Once I know what I want to do I move to the keyboard to drive that sound ... It's what I did on 'Passing through' which is on my soundclod page and a few other which ... um aren't!

I think I'll buy their acoustic bass too because I'm not happy with the one I have
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »
Two years or so ago i tried recording single acoustic guitar notes and then pitch-shifting them down one octave to emulate the bass guitar sound... it sounded horrible ;D

You can of course use your acoustic, and then boost the frequencies below, say, 150 Hz a couple of dB to get more bass with an EQ plugin. (And then ideally cut a couple of dB in the same frequency range from the other guitar tracks to make your 'bass' track stand out more.)

There are Virtual Instrument plugins for bass guitar, that basically let you draw the bass notes like in a MIDI track. however, those might be expensive and I'm not sure they'll run in your DAW.

I think your best option would be to look online for bass guitar samples, if you're lucky you'll find some free ones. Basically those are seperate wav or mp3 recordings of all the notes a bass guitar can play. You can just pick out the notes you want, drag them into the DAW and arrange them like any audio file to get the melody you want.
You won't be able to realistically create a bass solo with them, but for a slow and steady rhythm track they should work well.
If you can't find any free ones (and can wait for 3 weeks or so) I can record you the samples next time I get my hands on my bass guitar.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »
IMHO you will never get a satisfying bass guitar sound without a real bass guitar

I tried all sorts of different options but if you want a real bass sound its got to be a real bass guitar

It is not so much the notes but the "presence" that you miss - fret noise, string noise, slides and that special something only a real bass guitar gives

I would be happy to record a bass line for you - either by playing along or if you work one out on guitar I can replay it on bass

I have an electric bass and the Ampeg plugin, which sounds awesome

I also have access to an acoustic bass (and real bass player!) If this appeals

Just PM me if I can help
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »
I find that when it comes to mixing and mastering, bass is where most of the problems lie - whether its real bass or synth. In fact, there's probably more issues with synth bass. I've recently started sending my electric bass recordings through a Hammond emulation, the sounds are fab.

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:55:30 AM »
I dont know how Reaper works but Logic has many bass virtual instruments to choose from - you can play along with your midi keyboard - I particularity like Liverpool bass - I think its quite similar to the real thing, although nothing is ever as good as the actual instrument

Have you ever looked at Kontakt ?   http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/kontakt-5-player/

It has a pretty good range of instruments and I am sure it will work with your DAW - there are many free samples - its great fun arranging on a midi keyboard and you can still try and keep the whole sound organic if thats what your after - I would just get a cheap keyboard - I have a cracking Korg keyboard but I often spend so long correcting my playing that I probably just should have got a cheap one

I find EQing really vital with Bass - sometimes it booms through my whole house so I need to keep tweaking it without making it too thin

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
You can pitch shift and octave and get octave pedals, but it never sounds right.
I can do a quick bass line for you if you want.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »
Does pitch shifting a female vocal down an octave make her sound like a man? ;)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:39:10 AM »
No.  ;D

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:21:40 AM by andy5544 »
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!