konalavadome

Rules for the songs/lyrics of the month.

• 53 Replies

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 01:50:54 AM »
Best of luck Allan..

you're the man .. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 03:43:16 AM »
Just incase you missed it, I have edited my first post on this thread and it now contains rules for the competition which are currently under discussion. I will amend the rules in a week or so and have a sticky thread opened for the competition with the finalised rules as the first post.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29:24 AM »
Rules for the songs/lyrics of the month.

Each month 5 songs will be nominated from the finished song category and 5 lyrics from the lyrics category by a nominated forum member and these songs shall be placed in the song/lyric of the month thread where members may vote on the favourite selection in each category. At the conclusion of the voting period, the top three songs will be ranked, Each months winner will then be automatically put forward at the end of each year where a song of the year and lyric of the year will be judged in the same manner. The following rules will apply:

1. The artist must be an active forum member and have taken part in the reviewing of songs/lyrics on a regular basis and have at least open mic rank.

2. The song/lyric must be the members own work.

3. Only songs/lyrics which have been posted between the start and end of the current month are available for selection.

4. All selections will be made by a forum member who will be nominated by the month’s previous selector. This selector will be of at least solo gig rank.

5. No member may be represented by more than one song or lyric in any one month.

These rules are in no way set in concrete they are merely a starting point for discussion but we need to have it finalised before the months end so that this month can be put underway. The reason I have put rank provisions in rule 1 is to prevent passers by with no real forum interest from posting songs for the competition and not participating in what we are all about. The rank for rule 4 ensures that the nominated has spen sometime in our community and has a full understanding of how we work here and what we value. It also gives the more junior janked members something to aspire to at the same time.

The reason I didn't incude wips is that they are by name an unfinished work and IMHO we should be encouraging people to finish their work not rewarding them for leaving it incomplete. If a member wishes a wip to be considered they should finish the work and have it shifted by a moderator to the finished song section.

What's an open mic rank? What's a solo gig rank? ??? Do only the lyrics posted in the lyric section of this forum get considered or are the lyrics in the finished song category considered as well? :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:33:28 AM by crystalsuzy »

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 08:37:11 AM »
Take a look under your name in the panel on the left. Your rank displays near your total postcount. Its a new feature so dont go and get your eyes tested for missing it
 :D

lauriewood95

• Busker
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 09:29:25 AM »
How many posts do you need for 'Open Mic' rank?

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »
I'm very busy ATM, but wanted to let you know that this is a great idea.
I'll try and keep an eye on this thread :)
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 10:30:30 AM »
Hello Every one ..

Great work Allan ..  :D

I'm never entered competitions in my life .. only the summer one in this forum .. so I don't much about rules .. but it looks like Allan's work is good ..

Thank you Allan ..

Cheers ..

Dutchbeat

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »
Thanks Allan, for taking this on you

i think all the rules are clear..i agree with the way you formulated it...i think for the nominees of lyrics they really have to come from the lyrics section

and i am doubting the ambition level to nominate five for each category (lyrics and finished songs), originally my idea was that the nominated songwriter of the month responsible for the selection could slos choose the winner

but if you nominate five, that may be good, as more people will listen and read other people's work, but we are depending on people to vote / select the final winner then...will enough people vote????

but let's go for this ok? Well i am all for this, but this means regular forumites have to pay attention to the selection of the nominees, really listen to them and read the lyrics and sent a vote to the organising forummember after the month is over

do i understand this correctly Allan? (btw, sorry for mistyping your rank "solo gig" into "solo gigolo"  :-X)

if we agree on this, i will ask Tone - he who graciously rules the songwriting universe - to put out a banner to announce our "song of the month" idea

Dutchbeat

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 11:54:30 AM »
me again, should we perhaps bring back the number of nominees per month from 5 to 3 per category?

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 08:14:12 PM »
What say we let the months selector. Determine how many exceptional works he feels should benominated.  3 to 5 works from each of the two categories. That way if there are just 3 or 4 stand out works it is easy if there is a fifth then add it in. If we allow flexibility it may make it easier to define that all important cut off point.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »
Wait, slightly confused over here...
So we nominate one person to pick the best few songs and lyrics but then other people vote for them?
 ???
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 09:42:59 PM »
Yes that's the idea of it Jess, the winning works are chosen by a vote of your peers. The selector is charged with the responsibility of selecting a group of 3 - 5 lyrics and 3-5 songs and putting them forward at the months end for a vote. The idea being that they should find it easy enough to pick the absolute stand outs especially given the feedback already placed. And then to make it nice and fair all forum members get a say on which one of each of the 'shortlisted entries' takes out the award.

The job of selector will be passed around.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »
Please not I just added a sixth rule to keep it all fair and above board.

6. The selector may not nominate their own work for an award.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »
thanks and Good morning, Allan...where you are the day starts
and it is winter, i guess

but nevertheless you cleared it all!!!

thanks

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38:04 PM »
should be interesting how this all takes of then!

good stuff Allan by the way in gettingthe ball rolling with the layout of how its all gonna happen!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks