Rules for the songs/lyrics of the month.

• 53 Replies

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 03:38:15 AM »
Awww Jess, I am not anti lyricist, I even include words my own songs :)

Its just that you cant have a section for lyrics in a song competition as lyrics by themselves do not constitute a song.

But having said that, there is absolutely no reason, that I can see, why we could not also have a lyric of the month section. In fact that could be a good idea and if the writer was interested he could allow musicians to participate in adding music to the lyric the following month to see what they came up with. Just a way to further add value and encourage people to work together.

I do hope you can forgive me though I wasn't degrading lyrics, just saying it would be unfair to judge two distinctly different products against each other. Pleasel let me know if I should be doing some hail Mary's or self flagellation to earn redemption :)

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 07:44:27 AM »
Awww Jess, I am not anti lyricist, I even include words my own songs :)

Allan, that gave me a damn good laugh to start the day! :)

Completely agree though that a written lyric cannot directly compete with a lyric set to music I.e what we are calling a song. Mind you, that raises an interesting question; When does a poem become a song? I think 'Sonnet' means song but are all sonnets set to music? Jess recently posted a recording consisting of singing and body slaps which made it far easier for me to appreciate the lyric because of my preferences not prejudices.

Gets complicated don't it? Perhaps a top three from 'finished songs' and a top three from 'lyrics'. It's not like there's a recording deal awaiting the winner but I reckon this would spice up the competition/inspiration on this site a little bit but, as you said, the standard is already very high around here. I can honestly say that I have a few new songs under my belt that I'm quite pleased with and just wouldn't exist but for the inspiration, help and guidance received from this community.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Dutchbeat

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
ha, many good ideas in this thread (that idea from Neil to cover songs from other members sounds very interesting......i would like to organise and / or participate in something like that)

about the song of the month.....i think we could sort of randomly choose an active member per month (i don't think it should be mod, we may end up fighting  ;D ;D ;D ;D) and as Jess suggested that forumite gets to pick a best lyrics, best WIP song and a best Finished song.....

we could keep them together in one thread, collect them and have a new years evening voting for the best lyrics and best song...

if just start with giving one forumite the task, then perhaps this forumite could also have the heavy duty to hand over the task to another forumite for the next month???

just my two eurocents..what do yoy guys and galls think?

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 12:00:06 PM »
Dutchbeat ..

I like the collecting part .. make a page which has the nominated songs of each month .. accumulate them over the years they well always be there as links so any one can revisit these songs rather then look for them through the hundreds of pages in the forum .. or maybe never hear them again ..

one question .. start from Jan 2013 .. or Jan 2014 ?? :D

I like that .. ;D

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 10:33:10 PM »
Got so many mentions in this topic, feel so special, haha. I get how you can't compare songs with lyrics but I guess we want to get as many people involved and keep every section on the forum motivated.
Jess recently posted a recording consisting of singing and body slaps which made it far easier for me to appreciate the lyric because of my preferences not prejudices.
:)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 03:07:53 PM »
well put jess i'm with you on that
everyone should have the same chance
seriousfun hats off to you for the origanal idea
lets all have fun...

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 12:25:19 AM »
Sounds like this could be fun :)...would you have to post the lyrics of your song in the lyrics section to be considered in the lyrics comp....or would all lyrics be reviewed from all songs in finished or WIP?...also could one person conceivable win every month through the year or would there be a limit on how many times one person could be picked...how far back would you go to pick a song of the month? ...or would only the songs posted in that month(1st to 31st) be chosen?? hmmm...lots to consider, but great idea ;D

Dutchbeat

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »
would it be an idea to try this the following way....

we make a thread in which for every month a best lyrics, a best song in progress and a best finished song are selected....they have to be choosen from clearly defined months, so the first pick would be from songs and lyrics that will be posted between July 1st and july 31st....

and that we just choose one regular forum member (no mod or administrator) per month for this task (it means a lot of listening and reading in that month....). A regular forum member could be defined as someone who reached the "open mic" rank at least.... ;D and should have also been active in the last month on the forum.... ;D

so for instance, in this case SERIOUS FUN could be the first juror...he started this thread and he made it to the rank of: "solo gigolo" or something like that  :P

if he would be prepared to take on this task (how could he refuse the honour  ;D ;D) and the others are ok with this, he gets to appoint the next juror for August...

seriousfun is in a place on the globe where it is now winter, so he can't use having a summer holiday as an excuse...

of course we keep track of all the selected lyrics and music on one thread and the day before newyear we can all vote for the annual winner....the price for the winner is als usual, one get to ask a regular forumite (again, that is a forumite that reached the ranks of open mic or higher) of choice to perform a track or sing on one of your own songs...Lyricists could perhaps ask a forumite to put their winning lyrics on music...

just some thoughts, sorry for being so bold, but would this be a way of getting this started???

and if so, Seriousfun do you think you can take this responsability...without being bribed...can you stand the heat???

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 02:18:18 PM »
Good call DutchStadium...
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »

I Second that DutchBeat .. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers ..

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »
This. Sounds. Awesome!
So glad that the idea's getting off the ground :D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

lauriewood95

• Busker
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »
Love the idea, sound rather exiting! :D

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »
Another great example of the energy on this forum! :)

Quite a responsibility for one forumite each month but all to the good I think.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »

I humbly accept this great honour bestowed upon me and i will look at putting some formal rulestogether from the discussion todate for the forums consideration.

And by the way, Dutchbeat, SOLO GIGOLO ,   thats most offenceive.   Whats the use of being a gigilo if i have to be solo, huh?    ;D :D :D

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 08:56:20 PM »
yeah good to see this is starting to roll along, should be pretty dam good as they say...
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks