konalavadome

Rules for the songs/lyrics of the month.

• 53 Replies

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »
Rules for the songs/lyrics of the month.

Each month 5 songs will be nominated from the finished song category and 5 lyrics from the lyrics category by a nominated forum member and these songs shall be placed in the song/lyric of the month thread where members may vote on the favourite selection in each category. At the conclusion of the voting period, the top three songs will be ranked, Each months winner will then be automatically put forward at the end of each year where a song of the year and lyric of the year will be judged in the same manner. The following rules will apply:

1. The artist must be an active forum member and have taken part in the reviewing of songs/lyrics on a regular basis and have at least open mic rank.

2. The song/lyric must be the members own work.

3. Only songs/lyrics which have been posted between the start and end of the current month are available for selection.

4. All selections will be made by a forum member who will be nominated by the month’s previous selector. This selector will be of at least solo gig rank.

5. No member may be represented by more than one song or lyric in any one month.

6. The selector may not nominate their own work for an award.

These rules are in no way set in concrete they are merely a starting point for discussion but we need to have it finalised before the months end so that this month can be put underway. The reason I have put rank provisions in rule 1 is to prevent passers by with no real forum interest from posting songs for the competition and not participating in what we are all about. The rank for rule 4 ensures that the nominated has spen sometime in our community and has a full understanding of how we work here and what we value. It also gives the more junior janked members something to aspire to at the same time.

The reason I didn't incude wips is that they are by name an unfinished work and IMHO we should be encouraging people to finish their work not rewarding them for leaving it incomplete. If a member wishes a wip to be considered they should finish the work and have it shifted by a moderator to the finished song section.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:44:06 PM by seriousfun »

cena69

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:08:37 AM »
thats a great idea
putting use of songs and give them recognition
i'm in on that
there are tonnes of great songs that i have read that would fit the bill

cena69

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »
Fantastic idea, come on mods, make it happen :)

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »
yeah i dig it!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:14:48 PM »
Great idea ..

May I suggest an idea ..

panel of five or seven .. three from outside the forum .. so it will help the voting .. ;D

Cheers ..

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:01:49 PM »
Good plan Alan,

This forum is extremely inspiring. The competitions, collaborations and just posting your latest work are all great drivers. A 'Top Ten' seems like a natural progression.

They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »
I like the idea but a couple of thoughts to add to the stew:

I think we need to be inclusive, not everyone want to be in a competition all the time and be careful around the overhead/fatigue of monthly voting. So why not get the mods to have a monthly 'featured songs' with say 3 tunes, and then at the end of the year a vote on the 36?

In addition is you could then run a competition to do cover versions of the top 10 voted songs. I'm doing a cover song at the moment and its fascinating to try and interpret and give something different to an original and personally I'd be chuffed to bits if someone else wanted to cover a song of mine. It would also be fascinating to hear different interpretations given the diverse range we have in the forum.

:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Kevin j

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »
maybe you could have a song of the month for each cateogory, like on for lyrics, one for works in progress, and finished songs. then you could have the over all winner.
well, that escalated quickly..
-Anchorman :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 06:58:52 AM »
gettig all the mods to agree on a selection could be tricky....

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »
Then let each Mod have a month...?
Neil

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »
needs to happen i reckon! need some fun in this forum! we cant all be serious now can we 8)

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
In addition is you could then run a competition to do cover versions of the top 10 voted songs. I'm doing a cover song at the moment and its fascinating to try and interpret and give something different to an original and personally I'd be chuffed to bits if someone else wanted to cover a song of mine. It would also be fascinating to hear different interpretations given the diverse range we have in the forum.

Neil

sounds like a cracking idea that!

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »
maybe you could have a song of the month for each cateogory, like on for lyrics, one for works in progress, and finished songs. then you could have the over all winner.

Not keen on this idea. It would be unfair to be judging finished songs against lyrics or wips and also wips against lyrics.  IMHO we should be judging just finished songs as that's where we would expect wips to end up anyway.

Do like the idea of mods having turn about. 10 maybe too many songs to consider each month, but I just put this outs as a raw topic for discussion.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 11:30:54 PM »
Alan, 3 songs a month would be enough I'd have thought..
Neil

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 05:16:48 PM »
Not keen on this idea. It would be unfair to be judging finished songs against lyrics or wips and also wips against lyrics.  IMHO we should be judging just finished songs as that's where we would expect wips to end up anyway.
:'( don't be anti-lyricist! Why don't you just pick a top one from each category and then not have an overall winner? Three winners a month isn't a big ask, and we all work as hard as each other so it would be unfair to not let everyone participate!
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle