collaboration for an "Indie Rock ballad"

• 8 Replies

AndyJ

• Busker
« on: May 24, 2013, 03:25:55 PM »
Okay, so since my general collaboration search was an EPIC FAIL, I'm trying it differently. I'm asking directly for a collaboration on a specific song ;)

This is a new song, a sort of Indie Rock ballad.

I haven't written any lyrics yet and would like to take this chance to collaborate on this song with a singer who likes the song and would be interested to write lyrics and record vocals for this song.

Also, since I'm a pretty poor guitarist and can't record any guitar tracks properly, I would also like to collaborate with musicians (guitarist, bassist, drummer) to have this song recorded properly.

So, if you like the song and would like to be part of it, please get in touch: www.songwriter-aj.de.ki - or reply here in this thread or PM me here on this forum

The song on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/andyja-1/cadolzburg-work-in-progress

Blush

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »
Listened to it I like Im a lyrics get in touch

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »
Strictly speaking you haven't got a song but just a chord progression. You can start writing songs that way, but you should work together with other musicians to do so.

From a copyright perspective a song consists of
a) a tune
b) lyrics

It is then accompanied (normally by paid musicians) in one manner or the other. What you've got at the moment is an accompaniment ;-) That sounds not bad at all, BTW.

Bernd
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

AndyJ

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:40:30 AM »
Bernd, there are also songs without any singing out there ;) Vocals are nothing more than a bass or drums - or a guitar. They are only one part of a mix of "things" that make up a song in the end. There are no rules as to which "things" actually need to be part of a song. Ron Thal used to play "Don't Cry" all by himself on guitar at live gigs. John 5 is also a very good example of a guitarist who can pull off entire songs without any vocals - and he even released them on records! ;)

As for this song right here, "we" are re-recording it, because a lyricist came up with a beautiful vocal line that works great with this song and the guitar line that I wrote.

Bernd, one more thing out of curiosity: You're a lyricst, so I guess that lyrics usually come first for you and then you look for someone to put music to those lyrics, right? So maybe that's why you don't feel a song is a song when there are no lyrics? Because I'm writing songs the other way round: The music always comes first. I create the chord progression, the main guitar line (or a keyboard line in some cases) - and only after that, I consider adding lyrics ;)

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:23:27 AM »
You're correct, a song may be 'just' a tune - but hardly ever just an accompaniment. There usually is an instrumental part that does similar things to a vocal line.

When I write for others the music comes first - but with a vocal line, not just 'gaps'. A chord progression would mean inventing the tune twice: first me, when I try to fill in words that match a tune in my mind, next the singer when he/she tries to invent a tune that matches my words. You can guess why I do'nt like to work like this, except for my own music, ironically ;-)

Bernd
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

AndyJ

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:52:15 PM »
But Bernd ... there already IS a melody there. However, it's not the melody for the singer. The music I try to create is supposed to mix an instrumental melody and a singing melody together. Two different melodies. The tricky part is to get these two different melodies to blend together in the right way. I'll talk to the other guys to see if I can preview what we're working on. We really managed to get this tricky part right on this song, I believe.

In any case, it's always best to present the final result. That's the best way to explain things.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »
Hi Andy:  I can "hear" lyrics for your song while I listen. 

While the one fellow is right that you don't really have a song, just a chord progression, I write lyrics to chord progressions all the time, and then flesh them out and differentiate them after I know what they are about. 

I'm currently suffering from "technical difficulties" (either my computer or my mic is malfunctioning, and I can't figure out which without buying something) but if you're still looking in a week, get back to me.

In the meantime, you can listen to see if you like what I do at     www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

AndyJ

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:13:14 AM »
Hi Verlon,

I'm basically open to mixing different styles and influences and just see how things turn out. However, I'm also an honest person and have to say that I'm surprised that a folk rock/country lyricist "connected" to one of my songs. I listened to your stuff and I don't feel any connection to them.

For this song here in specific, a lyricist has already written full lyrics, as I mentioned before. I really like them and am not sure if I'm open to alternative lyrics for this song. But you can check out my Soundcloud profile at https://soundcloud.com/andyja-1 - I've been using Soundcloud to put out new music I've written and am also looking for lyricists that way. For the latest working demo I put up there, "Meiningen", a singer/songwriter has already written lyrics.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 02:34:45 AM »
Hi Verlon,

I'm surprised that a folk rock/country lyricist "connected" to one of my songs. I listened to your stuff and I don't feel any connection to them.

Hi Andy:  Funny how different people can be in regard to genre.  I could care less about genre.  Good music is good music. 

I suspect that part of why you didn't connect with my music is that the accompaniment is incomplete and in places just plain inadequate. 

I write without regard to genre.  I listen without regard to genre.  I even like some rap music.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.