Blue Light -

• 25 Replies

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »
Following a day at the Cheltenham Jazz festival two weeks ago this just had to be born. It is a work in progress as far as the production goes but I guess I'm pretty happy with the song itself. A bit cheesy perhaps but once again I had fun bringing this one into the light. I don't think I'll be doing many more like this though ... Jazz is HARD! and if you can't sing in the first place jazz singing is impossible!

I'm going sailing for a rest!

https://soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans/blue-light

Blue Light (Working Title)
Copyright © Geoffrey James Evans 2013. All rights reserved.

Like a light on the sea
You are shining for me
And I know I am safe
under your gaze

The calm of your eyes
Will shame the storm clouds from the skies
And the winds will relax
To hear your call  

It's only you that I look for in the dark and stormy night
Only you can guide me back to the light … and make it better

If that light were to die
Then so surely would I
So don't look away
Don't look away

It's only you that I look for in the dark and stormy night
Only you can guide me back to the light
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 09:55:26 PM »
You should do more of this style. It's good, really well written. Good lyrics and a lovely melody. As far as performance go the voice is bank on. Nice phasing and the guitar is very jazzy and nice chosen riffs and phases. But there something amiss in the rhythm section to my ears. Hard to put my finger on it but maybe it's the bass line that doesn't seem to fit. I am wondering if part of the rhythm section is played with swing and some isn't. The sax is pretty cool too. Great song I really loved it.

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:55 PM »
Thanks Seriousfun. Yeah, there is a problem with the various rhythms played by the bass, drums and guitar. I think I was trying to be too clever and that's never gonna work with me!.

A good friend of mine is gently introducing me to jazz and I have to say that I'm not running to the hills just yet. But jazz has rules and I don't understand them so, I probably make jazz fans cringe. I don't care. I do tend to write what comes out and I don't seem to have settled on a style yet ;)

I'm going to record this one again and try to get it right. For now though I am really letting Man of Simple Pleasures down as he is waiting for me to contribute at least something to our collaboration entry for the Summer song competition.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
I thought i replied to this earlier  ??? but thought it was nicely done...don`t mind a bit of jazz me!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »
Lovely feel and playing, sooo relaxed. Great guitars, bass and sax.. Voice suits to.
Really nice melody and words although having read the title I was expecting a song about the police!
I'm with Allan re the rhythm section in a couple of bits, I think its both timing and how the bass notes relates to the guitar/melody 9 eg 0.48 to 0.55 but otherwise it swings, so looking forward to V.2.
[And Jazz is seriously tricky stuff which I can't really even begin to understand]
Impressed.
 :) :)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »
Love the bass - excellent vocals

Infact what's not to like - drums and guitar sit beautifully

Love the sax solo   ;D

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
Hi Shiny...well for a work in progress, I think it's pretty darn good...I really like this kind of laid back jazz...I think your voice is perfect in this song...very nice lyrics...awesome sax solo(is it you playing?)
the timing issue has been mentioned so I really don't know what else I could say improve this...don't stop with this one...I keep it up with the jazzy stuff 8)...it's really lovely :)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »
hi Shiny,

always a suprise....

you explore many different styles, and the results are good once more!

you kept this extremely 'small' and fragile, and you handle it very well!!!! this definitely has 3 or 4 o clock in the morning, smokey bar feeling....

i was hoping for a little more drama in the vocal delivery towards the end  ;D ;D ;D, but my taste always tends to go to overboardness...

but sweet, yes!!!!

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »
I think this is very well executed.
Don't worry about the rules. This might not be "pure" jazz, but you make it your own and I think that's the most important thing.
Also - what struck me - jazz comes across as a difficult genre to me a lot of the time. But your song was very easy to listen to. And that is meant as a positive of course!
Double bas and sax, two of the most sexy instruments in the world! Loved it :)

SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

Dutchbeat

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »
listened again, and it is pretty, and pretty excellent too

really absolutely is in my opinion

nice, and yes, it is JAZZ, but what the strict definition of Jazz is

nobody knows

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »
I really will catch up on reviews next week honest! Right now I'm using a very expensive dongle to connect to the internet and can't listen to your songs ;(

Many thanks for to everyone for taking the time to listen and comment.

Songsthatcry: Hmmm I wonder what happened to that then? Thanks for returning and letting me know you liked it.

Neil C: Thanks. This was that new Yamaha that I bought in a hurry. Seems to be infused with some jazzy tendencies. I have changed the name now to 'Only You' The blue light thing was a working title really and I see what you mean about expecting Juliet Bravo going all blues 'n' twos.

Kafla: Thank you very much. I was disappointed to find that my double bass sample does not allow slides or that last note on the bass intro would have been one of those lovely, slow slides that I heard so many of at the festival.

Crystalsuzy: Thank you for your kind words. The sax solo is um ... kinda me playing. It's a sample played from a keyboard but it was played live so, I'm gonna say yes! it was me ;) Actually I did take sax lessons years ago but I only succeeded in upsetting some very nice neighbours. I do like this style of song and would love to hear this one done by a proper outfit. I tried yesterday to write something else in the same vein but it came out all late fifties doo-whap-shoo-waa sort of thing. Not a bad thing and I'll be finishing it off before moving on. I do seem to be stuck with whatever comes out.

Dutchbeat: Yes, I really do not seem to have a particular style do I? I think it is more that different styles explore me. I'm happy enough with what comes out though. This was definitely the result of attending the Jazz festival even though we heard no music in this particular style whilst at the event! Nice of you to re-post today saying again that you liked it. Thank you.

Stephaniedema: I really need to get around to listening to your latest work but, as I said, that'll have to be next week. Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment on my work. I guess when you don't know the rules but you stumble upon a nice sound anyway it's okay isn't it? The only thing I think I consciously did to fit into the genre was to find alternate inversions of the chords to use which kinda worked out. Since being introduced to Jazz I find I have fallen head-over-heals for the double bass. I've even begun to try to work out how I could get one into my box-room! Perhaps I'll just invest in a better VST sample ;) I have to agree about sax though. Played well it can knock me bandy!

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 03:27:48 PM »
I think this is the first Jazz song I've heard on the forum... but it's seriously cool !! 8)
Can't fault this at all. Some really cool and unexpected chord progressions, and I love the double bass!
Very relaxed vocals, spot on.
I can't even imagine how you came up with something like this, I can only take my hat in admiration ;)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 05:11:28 PM »
Deffo the first jazz I've heard on here. In a word - WOW. This stuff is so way outside my capabilities that I'm in awe of anyone who can pull it off this well. It's just simply a lovely piece in every way. Beautifully played, arranged and sung. Great guitar and sax playing. Class on a stick with knobs on. Humbling as well.... :'(

basshead

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 06:11:09 PM »
hi geoff. how do u do that ? u have a go at a jazz number and u sound like u been writing them for years ! cracking song - again. Everything just slots together so well , even the guitar chords that u need six fingers to play  ??? I am however, very miffed I didn't come up with that bass line. Far too clever for a guitarist if u ask me ! Welcome to Jazz Club. Niiice !

P.s how do I get one of those piccy thingys on my post like what everyone else has got ?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:14:48 PM by basshead »
if u always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 07:18:48 PM »
hey there mate! sounds pretty cool and chilled, not a lover of Jazz to be honest but i doubt i could come up with something as well executed as this mind!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks