Mexico

• 10 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 17, 2013, 11:37:47 PM »
Hi,
Heres' a song i've had lying around which needed to be recorded properly.
https://soundcloud.com/neilconnor-2/mexico-demo-master-17-may-2013
Originally written on the piano I envisaged a lush production number but this is a quick acoustic demo I did earlier in the week.
So the question is which way do I go, the current style or full band, strings etc?
All thoughts and comments gratefully received.
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:08:23 AM »
That acoustic guitar solo, very well played my friend :)

As for production I think this song is calling out for some real lifts in a couple of places. Its nice even as an acoustic version and I would certainly start it that way but there are a couple of places that I could just here it building. Each verse at the start of the third line sounds like a great place to build it. Not overboard, but deffinately an opportunity to move it on some.

Good song. Thanks for sharing with us all.

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »
Honestly Neil ..

It was hard for me to imagine what strings can do except lush chords of long notes.. as flavor ..

Tried to add bass in my mind .. sounded OK .. but the long pauses between the line and the guitar playing makes it necessary .. add the drums .. but the feeling of it being a slow song never went away ..
what I want to say .. is that the songs tempo will help decide which way to go .. ;D

Its a great song the way it is .. no need of add ons .. put that is only my opinion .. :D

Cheers ..

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »
Hi,

I'm hearing an acoustic bass and I'm wanting more of that lead acoustic - fantastic. I'm also hearing female backing singers doing oohhs and aahhhs. Maybe some  piano to support the guitar which is played perfectly for this song. This song has a great "feel" to it and it's very clearly yours in the way you write it and deliver it.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 12:29:10 PM »
Hi partner...nice song...I love the way it moves into the solo(amazing)...I'm hearing some back up vocals to help lift and separate, so to speak ;) it's nice as an simple guitar and vocal but I think it needs something else in there...maybe a piano...bass and drums would help give it some dynamics...play around with it and see what sounds good...a mandolin might be sound cool...I agree with serious fun...starting to build in the 3rd line of the verses...can't wait to hear what you do with it
...thanks for sharing  :)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 12:56:56 PM »
I think theres a bit of camper van Beethoven in this..in the message....guitar is nice...good song Neil.

Kayles86

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13:45 PM »
I like the sound neil keep em comin
Kayles86 ★

people move,people change,like a rivers flow it never ends

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 04:27:25 PM »
Lovey tone on the guitar Neil   :D

WTF do you get your inspiration from - space ships , superman , Mexico - are you smoking some good sh!t.

I don't think you have written a bad song yet  ;D

This works fine for me acoustic!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:39:09 PM »
Thanks for listening and your feedback, especially around the acoustic lead which came out nicely. 
I think the song stands but do agree with some that the production need a lift, but i cant separate the fact that I wrote it on piano and always though of it with sympathetic accompaniment.
And I haven't a weighted keyboard in my home studio which is no where near my proper if out of tune piano..
And Andy my inspiration comes from life, dry cider and feeling confident enough to take a few risks.   
:)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
nice tune! i'm a sucker for strummy acoustic stuff!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 12:05:53 AM »
Love the acoustic action. Great solo, good strumming and some great chord changes in here. Nice "semi-resolved" final chord too.

The "wont let you down hook" is great. Some of the verse melodies seem a little undefined as stands.

I like it as an acoustic affair. I say run with it. Keep it acoustic. Simply add bass, harmonies on vox and some percussion to liven up some sections. Job'll be a good'un
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk