konalavadome

Thinking about what others will think

• 10 Replies

ChrisK

• Busker
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:24:33 AM »
Hey guys,

This is my first post so be nice :)

Sometimes I write a song and I want to write in a different way to how it comes out because I feel sometimes the transition between emotions and paper is sometimes not fully there. It just tends to be a sad pathetic moan about random stuff which is not really related.

I think this mostly comes from thinking about what others will think. ???

I study songwriting at University and I have written some tunes which I am satisfied with in my time, but could it be because im with new people and I'm hyper sensitive of how these will be received?

I need some advice. Thanks.

Chris

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 12:46:40 AM »
Hey Chris

Welcome to the forum :) I hope you like it here.

To answer your question: it's normal to sometimes get caught up with the need for approval, or to edit your songs for fear of what others may think of them. It's also normal to worry that other people won't like them.

But as you're studying songwriting at uni, I expect you have tutors who can give you an honest appraisal of your songs? Also, this forum is a great place to get honest but gentle feedback on your work. Why not post one or two and see what we think?

As your confidence grows, you'll find that you're able to be yourself more and develop a unique writing voice that will give your work an edge.

Maybe have a listen to some of the song posted here by members and compare it to your own work...

Tone :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

FustigateMusic

• Busker
  • Sometimes I dont write. Sometimes i HAVE to write.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
Be fearless. Or atleast fake it lol. And write about something important specificaly to you. If you don't think strongly about what your writing it will show through in the end, the words will lack passion.

Everything I write is something I'm feeling as I'm writing it. I use it to cope. Sometimes it comes out as whiney emotional BS, but sometimes I manage to put down exaxtly what I'm feeling.

And I know it can be super intimateing to show or preform your own deep dark words. But in my experience, people tend to understand if you give em a chance.
I love to laugh like I love to write, which is only slightly more than I love to play guitar. Which is half as much as I love to play drums.

;D

Piñata

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »
Agree with the guy on top of me, just write something your feeling in the moment, rather than something you've heard and you sort of like/know other people will like.

I've said it before I think in another post but its much better to please yourself and 10 people rather than 100 people but not yourself.

Think of an idea and ride without without thinking about what the neighbors think. That's the one thing that restrains me is people I think might be listening, this is when you come up with the worst ideas.

You can do it!

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »

I think this mostly comes from thinking about what others will think. ???

What do you mean by this?

Do you mean you're worried about what others will think about what you're writing? Or do you mean you'd trying to write songs from someone else's perspective? If the latter, I think that's great... you just need to really get inside that character's skin. If the former, you just need to not worry about it so much :)

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 02:54:09 AM »
I think writing is cumulative process .. keep writing .. and keep writing ..

now if you are writing for some one like a producer or a friend or a band member.. than you have to be ready to hear criticism .. because its a job ..

the main question is why you are writing songs not any thing else ?? cause you want to .. so if you like it .. then its good .. if you don't .. then it's not !!!

monkfish79

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 03:57:02 PM »
the main question is why you are writing songs not any thing else ?? cause you want to .. so if you like it .. then its good .. if you don't .. then it's not !!!

Good advice, and something that took me far too long to appreciate. I make my living as a musician and i have plenty of prolific friends. I don't like everything they put out, but they get bums on seats at every gig. Likewise, I regularly have to play tunes that i actively dislike, but the audience go bananas for.

Tastes differ wildly, but the simple rule is - if you like listening to it, there will be plenty of others who feel the same. Keep on doing what you do and ignore any haters that might be lurking...

evanjavo

• Open Mic
  • Just passing through.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »
Your songwriting should always satisfy you. Don't always take to heart what others think, they're only there for the ride, but a little advice doesn't hurt.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »
The controversial songs and the songs which divide opinion are usually the best so just go for it :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 11:07:29 PM »
Be true to yourself. Don't listen to anyone.

You'll deliver your best work if you are truly honest.

Alan.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
Slightly off topic, there's a course at university for songwriting? WHEN did this happen? :o *does excited happy face*
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle