Glutton For Punishment (demo)

• 12 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've been doing as much as I can with the concept album, work and family commitments are piling up but I'm eager to continue. This is an iphone recording of my initial idea for 'gluttony'. It's a bit a ropey as it's a single take and is most definitely a demo but I wanted to share it and get some feedback early on.

As always, your input and ideas are greatly appreciated  :)

Gula (glutton for punishment)

http://soundcloud.com/habitatsongs/gula-demo-glutton-for

But
When I think about it
What else will I do
It's eating me that
I'm consumed with you

I never think of others
Never even breathe
Without a little
Whisper of your name

I cannot help but love you
It's left me rather tired
I've swallowed all
The pieces of my pride

But still you don't reflect me
I don't know what to do
Oh I gluttonously punish
Me with you

Will you ever
Feel the same
Will you even
Entertain

Us...

You sentenced me to living
An empty lonely life
Hungering for all
You'll never give

I wrote my words to tell you
How I really feel
Oh But tore them up
Cos they cannot explain

You gave me so much hope
You spoke to me and smiled
I mistakenly believed
You really cared

But when I opened up
And told you how I feel
Oh you shot me down
And then I crashed and burned

Cos
When I think about it
What else will I do
It's eating me that
I'm consumed with you
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:10:50 PM by habiTat »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:26 PM »
Really enjoying the whole concept, its very clever and well executed. Please keep the simplicity of this demo, the guitar sounds great and the words are excellent - "I've swallowed all the pieces of my pride"
My only suggestion would be to perhaps add a string quartet to quietly underpin it later in the song.
And long may your balancing remain balanced and productive..
:) :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 10:57:30 PM »
I agree with the above ...can`t think of anything negative to say,,in fact quite the opposite it`s going to be an interesting album...whats next sloth?

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:58:16 AM »
It's eating me, that I'm consumed with you.

Wonderful line Hab. In fact poetic words all the way through this. Your project seems to go from strength to strength.

I am with Neil on the production ides. Perhaps start off as is, then bring in a bass line then build with strings and drop back to an acoustic outro, all done very subtly of course.

Real nice lyrics and a lilting melody combine to make this a song to watch.

Allan.

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 11:41:27 AM »
I can never fault anything you do - you have a tone in your voice that exhumes sadness and regret - its so unique

I have more of a general comment regarding the whole project -

Some of its sounding similar - maybe you could put some thought into how the arrangement will compliment your theme and message - take the listener on a journey

The higher parts are excellent - a vocal doubler effect or even just two vocal takes panned wide left and right would help cover up those wobbly notes - I think this technique would suit your voice really well   

Outstanding lines of the week - It's eating me that
I'm consumed with you

Top class effort Habi ;D

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 11:49:15 AM »
very original and odd lyrics

i like the sad atmosphere in the verses of this song, great songwriting as always

very, very original idea

i think this high parts, ending will you even entertain, it would be great to have some deep cello like strings running through them....simple just long notes (think long cello lines in the second part of wonderwall from Oasis)

just a thought....i don't know whether you have the equipment for that (i think you do) but if not i would be prepared to suggest a track in that direction

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
Thanks guys, I've been listening to a lot of Ray La Montagne lately, I've lyrically tried to do a 'Ray' and be quite conversational with this one, the comments on the lyrics are great, I spent ages on this.

@Kafla, yes mate, I'm quite worried about them being samey, I'm hoping that at some point I'll get a good run of time and I'll work on each song consecutively to try to run each into the next and build a rise-and-fall type of thread throughout. This one is actually more similar to a couple of songs (guitar-wise) that I posted before I started this project so hopefully it wont be a major problem when these ones sit together.

@Dutchy, I had the same thought re. the strings, and I think the other guys (Neil and SF) also said this. I don't have the ability to do this myself as yet so may well take you up on that offer, thanks :) Unfortunately we can't really use this version as it's just recorded on a phone  :D

Thanks again :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »
Very nice.
If you are planning a whole album type of thing, I'd be careful about your arrangements and finger-picking style. The rhythm, tempo ad structure here is fairly similar to 'Acedia'. It can be fine on a album (and even work well) if a couple/few songs have similar traits, but too much and it can be a tiresome listen.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 05:25:23 PM »
This concept is really taking shape nicely. This is another top notch piece of song writing. I love the acoustic guitar sound - it's beautifully played and recorded. I agree with the comments about some strings - maybe a chamber quartet. I'm looking forward to the album - I think it's going to be amazing.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 11:21:52 PM »
Bump to the points re fingerpicking. You have the 6/8 thing down and have a great smoothness to the playing. You will need to mix things up to keep an album's worth of interest.

Your words are lovely, so you want to refresh the musical palette enough to keep people fresh, keep them listening to your poetry.

Leave the vocal front in the mix when you record. And add some drama. "When I crashed and burned" stood out as it was sung differently, with a passion, an edge

Your words are great, they need to stand proud and captivate. The balance across the album is the focus point now. The song itself is lovely, very strong writing and a great sympathetic melody to the chord movement :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »
Well done habitat...it seems odd to say a song is lovely with a subject matter like 'gluttony', but it truly is lovely :)...as everyone else has said, the lyrics are very poetic and the fingerpicked guitar is beautiful...I agree with some of the comments with regards to building the song with strings etc...I can't wait to hear the finished album...you're doing such an awesome job...thanks :)

grassbath

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 04:09:16 PM »
Enjoyed this very much, you have a beautiful voice, especially when you rise up into higher register. I can tell you worked hard on the lyrics too; I particularly like that you started with "but", as you said before it does bring out that conversational tone and puts the listener right in the frame of what you're feeling. "I tore them up because they can't explain" was nice too, as it kind of drops off in the middle of the sentence - explain what? - and that seems exactly the point.

Agreed with people who feel there could be some subtle strings or even a muted horn kind of thing if you can get it to work - add a little classical edge to your guitar playing. :)
Maybe I'm amazed at the way you're with me all the time... or maybe I'm afraid of the way I'll leave you

Dan-d-1985

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »
Wow, habi, this is the 2nd track i've heard from you recently and I'm really loving this.

I'd simply repeat what some of the guys have said here already, do a double take when you hit higher registers, maybe a harmonised lower line to balance it out?

I could hear drums and bass in there too if you were so inclined, but it does need something to fill it out a little more. Heck, even a 2nd guitar part strumming chords low in the mix might be all it needs.

Your vox are really nice and convey the story well, which is great and your lyrics are really well written. They've got some really excellent lines in there!

I look forward as always to the next instalment!!